PDA

View Full Version : Earth straps on aussie boats

Chimo
20-04-2014, 11:09 AM
Are Aust Boat Manufacturers Fitting Earth Straps To The Metal Filler Pipes On Their Plastic Fuel Tanks? With the issue reported about EA plastic tank issues that initially were not fitted with an earth strap one wonders are those of us with under floor plastic tanks being well looked after or does luck play a part in safe refueling? Cheers Chimo

Noelm
20-04-2014, 12:36 PM
No different to new cars that have plastic tanks fitted, we must remember we are talking static, not a definitive power source that exists as we know a battery or a power point does.

Chimo
20-04-2014, 12:43 PM
True Noel however static can develop from the fuel itself depending on the speed it moves. Lo flo pumps probably reduce the risk a fair bit, one would hope.

gruntahunta
21-04-2014, 05:24 AM
Am I correct in saying aluminium fuel tanks do not need an earth strap then?

tunaticer
21-04-2014, 06:19 AM
Am I correct in saying aluminium fuel tanks do not need an earth strap then?
No mate.......it comes down to whether that tank is earthed through the hull and trailer........whick leads to another question.

They do not have an issue with filling cars normally, yet some days you can cop a fair zap from the door handle of your car.....the car is insulated from grounding by the tyres.........should all cars and trailers be fitted with a grounding tape similar to what used to be a common accessory a few decades ago?

Chimo
21-04-2014, 07:06 AM
I have one (grounding strap) on our petrol powered vehicle.

Fed
21-04-2014, 07:25 AM
I haven't seen a car with a grounding tape for ages TT and come to think about it I haven't seen any of those spring loaded wires at toll booths for ages either.
They say women with nylon undies are the worse, they get out of the car very delicately (fully charged) without touching any metal then go to the tank & BOOM!
Moral of the story, stop wearing your wife's underpants.