PDA

View Full Version : Trailer safety

grunt
18-04-2014, 05:21 PM
Hi does this trailer look safe to tow as it has a fair bit of rust on the suspension holding parts.I dont want the trailer to break when im towing it.Is it hard to change the rusted bits.How much would it cost to get someone to do this job and put on a couple of new mudguards approx?
Thanks,
Jason.

Dave666
18-04-2014, 05:49 PM
Hi Grunt

From the picture it looks like light surface rust, which is perfectly fine to tow. This rust dosnt look bad at all, however, get under it with a hammer and wack away. You will soon work out what solid and what's rusted through.

Looks like the box section is worse than the axle and springs, its usually the other way around, so looks like someone has previously replaced the axle and springs.

You need to assess your trailer properly and work out if you want to restore it and maintain it (if its not too far gone) or just let its slowly go to the rust gods.

It dosnt look that bad at all in the pics. If its a good trailer you intend to keep, then think seriously about a refurb. However, if you are going to pay someone, then that's a problem. Due to the cost you may as well let it rust and then spend the money on a new trailer. If you do it your self (which you should in my opinion) then do you research on how to fix properly and rip in.

However - first step is a proper assessment of the current rust. I did mine 18 months ago and it came up fantastic. Due to the research I did, I learnt so much during the process about rust prevention, trailer setup, tailer maintenance, towing, bearings, brakes etc. It as a big job, but the knowledge you gain is invaluable in my opinion.

Cheers
Dave

ifishcq1
18-04-2014, 05:51 PM
It's hard to tell but it looks sound and mostly surface rust
if you give it a hit with a hammer and it stays solid it should be okay
a bit of tlc , a wire brush and some cold gal might get you a bit more service
I just had a trailer break and it was heaps worse than that appears
cheers

grunt
18-04-2014, 06:49 PM
Its the leaf spring hangers that look real rusty are these hard to change?How bad would it be if one broke while towing?

Fallen angel
18-04-2014, 07:04 PM
Hi grunt

It looks like the mudguards and the spring hangers are all one piece (please correct me if they are not) and you would be able to adjust where the axle actually sits under the trailer. If this is the case it would not be hard to drop the axle out and take the mudguard assembly off, it will pay to check between the assembly and the main A-frame. You can clean both up and inspect/make any repairs.

if you are unhappy with the condition of the mudguard assembly I got new ones made at belco trailers for about $250 cheap as chips if you ask me considering they were made well and were galvanised as well.

Hope this helps

grunt
18-04-2014, 07:51 PM
yes they are one piece

gazza2006au
18-04-2014, 09:18 PM
abit price but will get u out of the hole http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BOAT-TRAILER-PRE-MADE-GLAVANISED-GUARDS-AND-SLIPPER-SPRING-MOUNTS-AND-HANGERS-/360735940137?pt=AU_product_Trailer_Parts&hash=item53fd899e29

grunt
19-04-2014, 10:49 AM
Thats exactly what I need gazza thanks.Wonder if I can source some locally cheaper.

Fallen angel
19-04-2014, 12:05 PM
try belso or trailers direct