PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic Steering, Is this normal....???

kiwimex
17-04-2014, 08:00 PM
Hi all,

I have a Seastar hydraulic steering on my boat, I have noticed while running the boat that the knob on my steering wheel changes position all the time to maintain a steady course. The steering feels normal and I have had no issues what so ever. I just notice that as I'm traveling the position of the knob changes constantly....hope you understand my description.

Basically if I'm steering a straight course the knob on the wheel is at say 12 o'clock then as I travel and steer left and right to maintain my course, the knob slowly creeps around one way or another and say after 5 mins I'm maintaining the same course but the knob might be at say 4 o'clock or 6 o'clock....if i was to put the knob back to 12 o'clock the boat would be making big turns. I guess you could say the steering is hunting.

The entire steering system is only 6 months old.

If anyone could confirm if this is normal or if I may need to bleed the system...? Im thinking there maybe some air in the system that is causing this.

Cheers in advance

Steve

Giffo65
17-04-2014, 08:09 PM
It took me ages to get the air out of the hydraulic steering I fitted to my boat, maybe you should get it power flushed to purge the air.

Spaniard_King
17-04-2014, 08:13 PM
The position of the wheel will change but not the amount you are stating

kiwimex
17-04-2014, 10:14 PM
The position of the wheel will change but not the amount you are stating

Guess I will be bleeding the system tomorrow....!

battleon
17-04-2014, 11:38 PM
So lets get this understood, Your having trouble with your knob, sometimes it's hanging to the right and sometimes it's hanging to the left but it's rarely straight up and down. Hmmmm

Check for leaks, seals etc
Has correct oil been used in the first place and if so are levels ok
Make sure no blockages although this would usually cause steering to become harder
Purge system

Bustedoff
18-04-2014, 09:51 AM
We have Seastar and it doesn't do that, so I guess yours has something up with it... would have to be air in the system, or has it just started doing it? Other fault could be hydraulic fluid leaking past the ram piston seal?

Noelm
18-04-2014, 07:35 PM
I have seen that before, if you have a knob you notice it, but without you dont, I have seen three different boats do he same thing, especially if there is a strong side wind, you are forever turning into the wind but don't really notice it, but the knob as a reference you will see it slowly creep around.

Crunchy
21-04-2014, 08:58 AM
Take ya knob off and the problem will go away.

thump-a
21-04-2014, 09:14 AM
Other fault could be hydraulic fluid leaking past the ram piston seal?

If this is happening would you see oil leaking or is it still contained ????

Cheers

stevemid
21-04-2014, 12:13 PM
Not a fault IMO boat is reacting to trim, load distribution, wind etc.

Steve
Powerboat expert of 3 weeks

captain rednut
21-04-2014, 07:14 PM
As they mentioned get rid of your knob and the problem will go away, all hydraulic steering slips at all times and you would never know unless you have the knob.
cheers cr

Bustedoff
21-04-2014, 07:17 PM
Other fault could be hydraulic fluid leaking past the ram piston seal?

If this is happening would you see oil leaking or is it still contained ????

Cheers

It would be an internal leak, can be caused by dirt or other abrasive in the hydraulic fluid damaging the oring sealing surface.

Not that I'm saying this is what kiwimex's issue is...

LittleSkipper
22-04-2014, 09:33 AM
I too would like to mention that I do notice a change to the position of my steering wheel when turning it left or right hand down but in no way has this ever affected its performance.

Perhaps getting rid of the knob would be a good idea cause their are too many knobs in this world. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kiwimex
22-04-2014, 03:03 PM
I could never do without my knob, so it stays for the time being :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk