PDA

View Full Version : Trailer lic plate light

grunt
17-04-2014, 06:43 PM
Hi is it legal to have the lic plate under the brake indicator light in qld , or do you have to have a seperate light?
Thanks.

Darren Mc
17-04-2014, 07:14 PM
Not sure about the legalities of it. Both trailer's that I have owned came from the factory with the white number plate light built into the bottom of the brake and indicator light which sat exactly in the same place as the one in your photo.
The only difference is mine have been situated off the end of the right hand side rail not on the mud guard.

Mike Delisser
17-04-2014, 10:44 PM
A lot of lights set-ups like your pic will have a small clear panel on the underside of one tail light glass. So when the headlights are turned on, light shines down through the clear glass and onto the number plate below. If the taillights in your pic have that clear panel on the underside then it should be legal, though I think it needs to be over the center of the plate. If there's no clear panel then it's not.

grunt
17-04-2014, 11:15 PM
Thanks for replys.dont think it has a clear light.might have to source one.

timddo
18-04-2014, 06:56 PM
I thought that setup was illegal, you need to be able to view the number plate 180 degrees.

Luc
18-04-2014, 07:10 PM
From Qld Transport

By law, your number plates must be legible and easy to see from the front and back of your vehicle (excepting motorbikes and trailers – rear plate only).
Legally, the characters on the number plate must be visible from 20 metres (m) away at any point within an arc of 45 degrees from the surface of the plate, above or to either side of the vehicle. Number plates must be permanently attached to a vehicle so that when it is on level ground the plates are upright, horizontal, and not more than 1.3 m above the ground.

marto78
18-04-2014, 07:15 PM
Well it seems that I am in breach of the law since my number plate fell off somewhere or other about 5 years ago.
I'm also unsure if it has a white light above it.

aussiebasser
18-04-2014, 09:47 PM
Plate must be visible from 45 degree angle each side and above. Mudguard is not legal.