PDA

View Full Version : Long tail tuna

Jsmfun
10-04-2014, 08:23 PM
Hi all I'm going chasing long tails on sat or sun (weather permitting ) just after a bit of info about the bait size in general in southern bay.
are they larger models like 4-5 inch's or are they more chasing 2-3 inch white bait . I'm taking the usual weapons but might try some sub surface lure's any reports would be fantastic . I might need a deckie as mine thinks booze is better than fishing :-?

bowds13
11-04-2014, 12:42 PM
Hey mate, from my experience iv noticed the bait in the southern bay to be smaller then the northern end. Iv really only seen them feed on micro bait down there even stuff as small as 15-20mm. In the northern end iv seen then chase gar and flying fish though. But that's just what iv encounted and I could be totally wrong. Iv been having abit of success with sebile stick shads 90's and 114's in the sinking model

hope that helps abit

Jsmfun
11-04-2014, 01:30 PM
awsome thanks mate i have a 114mm sebile stick shad ill try . i might have to try some smaller slugs and lures as im going to fish southern bay tommorow anywhere from mud to maclay to amity were every the fish are i hope thanks for the input much appreciated

bowds13
11-04-2014, 07:35 PM
The paddock generally holds schools of fish, basically between mud and moreton. Some times when they are shut down and not hitting slugs switching to plastics can work. I use zman jerk shads in 5" and 7" in bubblegum with normally 3/8 head. Either wip then across the top or let them sink down a few seconds and try pick up some of the fish holding under the bait schools.

all the best mate, don't be disheartend if they fish don't play the game. That's tuna fishing in moreton bay haha

let us know how you go

Jsmfun
11-04-2014, 08:09 PM
Cheers mate I'm taking the go pro have a couple of mounts on the boat and a chesty hopefully get some footage worth posting my deckie just pulled the pin so I'll be driving and casting from a 20 foot walkaround boat will be interesting .is the paddock between mud and the 4 beacons I was going to try around north peel

bayfisher
11-04-2014, 08:37 PM
Good Luck! I have been out 3 times in the last week and not managed to pin one (nor even get a good shot at one), Traveled anywhere from harries to mclay to find schools but they have been very hard to approach even mid week. There is horders of white bait around peel that all the usual suspects seem to be gorging them selves on, The bonito and mackerel have been much more cooperative. I have been throwing my little (but heavy ) 90mm sticks to try and get strikes. Any ways good luck.
Cheers Chris

Jsmfun
11-04-2014, 08:41 PM
Thanks chris sounds like I might have to turn the motor of and just drift and wait.
being sat with good weather there will be lots of boat noise I'm sure and they all have the same idea

Jsmfun
14-04-2014, 07:14 PM
Well no good on the target species but plenty of little stuff for fun
the weather on the runout was too good which made the longtails way to flighty no mater what I tried could not get close enough. There was heaps of bait between north peel and 102504102503102502102501Harry's that's were I spent my morning
1 thing I have thought is I must acquire a deckie or two that are keen as most of mine just winge at getting up early ? It's a free trip as I'm going anyway and also very hard to be delicate with a 20ft walkaround chasing fish solo hard to position boat then casting so that was my trip cheers scott I lust a couple of my favourite lures (dam)

Still_Dreamin
14-04-2014, 07:59 PM
Jsmfun, mate know my way around a tournament ( ok it is much smaller than yours) and we both know how to prang them! Don't mind early mornings just got to get them past the missus! Happy to share costs and cleaning. Imagine the damage we could do.

Jsmfun
14-04-2014, 09:51 PM
:)
Jsmfun, mate know my way around a tournament ( ok it is much smaller than yours) and we both know how to prang them! Don't mind early mornings just got to get them past the missus! Happy to share costs and cleaning. Imagine the damage we could do.
Yes mate the damage could be catastrophic if on the same boat at the same time in the same state but I'm a thrill seeker and would like to find out the outcome. Where might you launch from normally as I mainly leave from wynnum ,Gold Coast seaway or Scarborough. I strongly suggest if we do this we each strap e Epirb to our selfs:)