PDA

View Full Version : 70 4S yammy 100 hr service

wayno60
10-04-2014, 10:38 AM
Does any one know what im getting done for my $360.00, 100 hour service??

$310 plus $50 for parts.

and how often does the water separator filter thingy need changing?

cheers
w

Noelm
10-04-2014, 12:31 PM
as a general rule of thumb, they will change the oil and filter, change the gear oil and replace the washers and possibly pressure test the gear case, remove the propeller and check for line caught around it, grease the prop shaft, replace the fuel filter, both any mounted on the motor and external ones too, check and/or replace the water pump, and grease the motor end spline, check thermostat, compression test, maybe spark plugs (some do, some don't) replace any anodes relative to your model, run the motor and do any adjustments deemed necessary, print out the computer report, lubricate and check all moving parts (steering and controls and so on), add to this, certain motors have other components that require routine maintenance, like VST filters and all sorts of other "stuff" associated with a modern EFI engine. A service done at home is cheap, but all that is done is an oil and filter change, and gear oil, all the other bits and pieces are not touched (at home) that's why you pay to have it done.

Camhawk88
10-04-2014, 01:44 PM
$360 is a good price. Water fuel seperaters are cheap. Get it done at every service. DOnt skimp on $30-40 parts on a 10k plus motor and your only mode of transport back to shore.

Triple
10-04-2014, 03:30 PM
A service done at home is cheap, but all that is done is an oil and filter change, and gear oil, all the other bits and pieces are not touched (at home) that's why you pay to have it done.

I think the complete opposite... I know what has and hasn't been done at a "home" service compared to a overpriced dealer service done by the 1st yr apprentice who usually only do the bare minimum required.

Noelm
10-04-2014, 05:31 PM
You need to find another dealer then, do you have the software to connect up the computer?

Triple
10-04-2014, 06:23 PM
I don't require any diagnostic tools for the outboards I work on. But unless there is an issue that needs codes pulled to determine the cause or if buying a second hand outboard and want the hours/revs history then there is no real need for a diog scan anyway. In a general service of your own outboard where you haven't had any problems then what's the need?

stevej
10-04-2014, 06:27 PM
do the sacrificial anodes in the engine block get replaced at 100hours?

a home serviced modern engine would have the resale of a turd

Triple
10-04-2014, 06:38 PM
a home serviced modern engine would have the resale of a turd

Resale value may be affected with certain buyers but factor in the 2-300 dollar saving per service over the life of the engine and it may not be so bad in the long run.. All depending on how often you turn over your motors of course.

Triple
10-04-2014, 07:01 PM
Average list of a 100hr service for most outboards you can buy a service manual for $35 from marineengine.com to confirm what else for your particular model.

What hours do they do a valve clearance check yammie 4st's?

• Anode: Check and replace if needed
• Battery: Check connections, charge and water levels
• Cables: Check for operation
• Carburetors: Synchronize and adjust idle and mixture
• Cylinder Heads: Torque bolts as necessary
• Electrical System: Check for operation
• Engine Compression: Performed on older model two-strokes, unless otherwise requested
• Engine Fittings: Clean and lubricated
• Engine: Clean and spray with lube
• Fuel Filters: Replace
• Fuel Lines: Check for leakage, splitting or rotting
• Fuel/Water Separator: Replace
• Gauges: Check for proper operation
• Hours on Motor. Record on service ticket
• Ignition Timing: Check and set, if necessary
• Lower Unit: Inspect and change lubricant
• Oil: Change oil and replace filter
• Propeller: Remove, clean and lube shaft
• Service Indicator/Alarm and reset
• Spark Plugs: Replace
• Thermostat: Check for operation. Additional Charge. Change every 200 hrs or two years
• Water Pump: Replace Impeller. Additional Charge. Changed every 200 hrs or two years
• Wet Test: All motors are wet-tested (water-tested)

For only $50 in parts as quoted then I doubt replacement anodes are factored in to the price.

Spaniard_King
10-04-2014, 07:12 PM
Avaerage list of a 100hr service for most outboards you can buy a service manual for $35 from marineengine.com to confirm what else for your particular model.

What hours do they do a valve clearance check yammie 4st's?

• Anode: Check and replace if needed
• Battery: Check connections, charge and water levels
• Cables: Check for operation
• Carburetors: Synchronize and adjust idle and mixture
• Cylinder Heads: Torque bolts as necessary
• Electrical System: Check for operation
• Engine Compression: Performed on older model two-strokes, unless otherwise requested
• Engine Fittings: Clean and lubricated
• Engine: Clean and spray with lube
• Fuel Filters: Replace
• Fuel Lines: Check for leakage, splitting or rotting
• Fuel/Water Separator: Replace
• Gauges: Check for proper operation
• Hours on Motor. Record on service ticket
• Ignition Timing: Check and set, if necessary
• Lower Unit: Inspect and change lubricant
• Oil: Change oil and replace filter
• Propeller: Remove, clean and lube shaft
• Service Indicator/Alarm and reset
• Spark Plugs: Replace
• Thermostat: Check for operation. Additional Charge. Change every 200 hrs or two years
• Water Pump: Replace Impeller. Additional Charge. Changed every 200 hrs or two years
• Wet Test: All motors are wet-tested (water-tested)

Get the 4 stroke one too, don't want you to miss out on the key components that need servicing::)

Spaniard_King
10-04-2014, 07:17 PM
Does any one know what im getting done for my $360.00, 100 hour service??

$310 plus $50 for parts.

and how often does the water separator filter thingy need changing?

cheers
w

That's a Bargain Wayne, I have $215 in parts for the 70, plugs are not iridium so should be changed every 100 hrs

Triple
10-04-2014, 07:17 PM
I said average and to confirm from your service manual. What else is done at 100hrs 4st service Garry? Any thing else you would check/do that's not in this list?
http://www.yamahaoutboards.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/2009_Maintenance_Charts.pdf

Triple
10-04-2014, 07:29 PM
That's a Bargain Wayne, I have $215 in parts for the 70, plugs are not iridium so should be changed every 100 hrs

And that there makes me question that the workshop is not doing everything that their supposed to at the 100hr service for only $50 in parts.

deckie
11-04-2014, 05:58 AM
Thats pretty cheap Wayno. I'm expecting maybe $450ish and not thinking that is a lot.
Been a sweet donk so far. Had any issues at all worth noting ?

You hit 100hrs already ?..gawwwd i;m just not gettinbg out enough. I just ticked over 30hrs on Wednesday.

wayno60
11-04-2014, 09:26 AM
Righto.
Not all things are what they seem...dropped of the 70 at Marine Tune 30 min ago and just inquired as to the price quoted for the service. I asked ol mate, "the spare parts/service guy" what gets done for my $360 and he looked at me with a strange look on his face..."How much" was his come back.......Seem Ron the sales guy doesn't know what he's talking about and service guy is going to slap Ron around the head when he got off the phone...

Lets try $480 and that's dropping the leg and replacing the impella...

Deckie, its done 135 hr. Yer I know a bit late for the 100hr serv,,,,
But no not a thing has gone wrong. After reading some of the horror stories some people have to tell Im feeling lucky i have a good one.

deckie
11-04-2014, 10:10 AM
Righto.
Not all things are they seem...dropped of the 70 at Marine Tune 30 min ago and just inquired as to the price quoted for the service. I asked ol mate, "the spare parts/service guy" what gets done for my $360 and he looked at me with a strange look on his face..."How much" was his come back.......Seem Ron the sales guy doesn't know what he's talking about and service guy is going to slap Ron around the head when he got off the phone...

Lets try $480 and that's dropping the leg and replacing the impella...

Deckie, its done 135 hr. Yer I know a bit late for the 100hr serv,,,,
But no not a thing has gone wrong. After reading some of the horror stories some people have to tell Im feeling lucky i have a good one.Yeah price sounds more like it.
Horror stories from this model ? Huh ?... Who? What When Where ? :o Do tell. I havent heard anything but goood. I must be outta the loop.
Good that you;re getting plenty of use.

robsue
11-04-2014, 01:02 PM
yep, that's a bargain alright, service is about $520, mine is due end of month but have couple of other things to get done as well, so not using Garry as don't want to have him chasing parts etc when I don't know what bearings are needed etc
I have done 82 hours so far with my yammi 4 stroke 70, hasn't missed a beat, starts first time, no problems whatsoever.....

wayno60
11-04-2014, 01:56 PM
Ive just been down there and pick her up.....$451.00???

Deckie.....not our model , just you hear about other brands that have been built on a Monday or Friday....All good.

deckie
12-04-2014, 09:17 AM
Thats still pretty cheap Wayno.
Ahhh ok...for a sec i thought u were about to tell me they've had issues that i hadnt heard about. These things seem to be a really good donk.
Tight lines and smooth seas for the next 100hrs mate.

fishychrissy
12-04-2014, 03:06 PM
Far out, so will that cost me about the same for the 60's first service?
Guess it'll be around that figure?

wayno60
12-04-2014, 04:17 PM
mate the first serv should be the 20hr one and that cost me $354.00

fishychrissy
12-04-2014, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the heads up wayno, wasn't aware there was a 20 hour one to do as well.
Cheers

robsue
13-04-2014, 11:38 AM
fishychrissy
its either 20 hour service or 3 months, whichever comes first
my 20 hour service cost $252-95

deckie
13-04-2014, 10:32 PM
Fishchrissy...from memory my 20Hr was around $400, but hey that's a Sydney price which means it is totally random and pretty much meaningless compared to anywhere else.
The general conversion is ..
(Sydney price - 50%) X Labour) / (Parts + Delivery) + Suburb Loading

Tangles
14-04-2014, 08:03 AM
Had the 100 hour service in November on the 70A, lately after a long run it was getting a good nice whine and squeal which sounded it like a car fan belt but was coming from the gearbox. Suspect was the brass bush as made no noise when first running, It was re-greased but happened again,

turns out the brass bush was cracked so thats replaced, i will find out if this solves the issue. Other than that motor has been great, very good on fuel, but its a noisy bugger, who said 4 strokes where so quiet