PDA

View Full Version : Prop Selection HH V17 with a Suk DF140

matt fraser
08-04-2014, 10:14 PM
I am still running in my new Suzuki DF140 on my V17 project, but I am wondering if there are some other V17s out there with the same motor. I am keen to hear about prop size and performance.

I am running the 19 pitch prop at the moment, and it is performing well. I am looking forward to opening it up though, as I have only taken it to 5000rpm (still only 9 hrs on the motor).

Looking forward to hearing what sorts of revs and speed can be acheived with different props for this motor, on similar sized boats.

Thanks,

Matt

Salad Fingers
09-04-2014, 03:06 PM
I am still running in my new Suzuki DF140 on my V17 project, but I am wondering if there are some other V17s out there with the same motor. I am keen to hear about prop size and performance.

I am running the 19 pitch prop at the moment, and it is performing well. I am looking forward to opening it up though, as I have only taken it to 5000rpm (still only 9 hrs on the motor).

Looking forward to hearing what sorts of revs and speed can be acheived with different props for this motor, on similar sized boats.

Thanks,

Matt

Well I don't have a V17, but I do have a new DF140a.
I have had to go up to a 22p stainless prop on my 5.4m alloy boat and I can still get it past 6200rpm with a light load. Sits perfectly on 6150/6200 normally loaded though.

Spaniard_King
09-04-2014, 05:05 PM
Just open it up and find out, if it can't handle WOT now you shoulda bought a Honda

davo
09-04-2014, 06:58 PM
I just picked up my new DF70A yesterday and the manual says that after 3 hours small bursts of full throttle can be used. Is the DF140 different?

matt fraser
09-04-2014, 11:11 PM
Well I don't have a V17, but I do have a new DF140a.
I have had to go up to a 22p stainless prop on my 5.4m alloy boat and I can still get it past 6200rpm with a light load. Sits perfectly on 6150/6200 normally loaded though.

Thanks SF, what sort of weight is your boat? And what sort of speeds are you doing at those revs? Its got to be pretty quick!?

Cheers,
Matt

matt fraser
09-04-2014, 11:27 PM
Just open it up and find out, if it can't handle WOT now you shoulda bought a Honda

I just picked up my new DF70A yesterday and the manual says that after 3 hours small bursts of full throttle can be used. Is the DF140 different?

I am guilty of not reading the manual. But I am going on what the technicians told me. Vary the revs regularly and don't take it over 5000 rpm until close to 20 hrs. Prior to the initial service so they can make any adjustments required.

I have a 21pitch prop to try, and I will give it a run soon.

Cheers, Matt

Salad Fingers
10-04-2014, 10:03 AM
Thanks SF, what sort of weight is your boat? And what sort of speeds are you doing at those revs? Its got to be pretty quick!?

Cheers,
Matt

Fueled up, with two people and an esky onboard probs about 1.3t at a guess.
Does ~74kph at WOT, quick enough.

After a couple of hours I gave mine a run to WOT. Modern 4 strokes don't need a run in at all really.

matt fraser
10-04-2014, 06:06 PM
Thanks for that, that is going quick for a boat that size! Do you have much trouble getting out of the hole?

I will be taking the V17 for a run on the broadwater on the weekend, looking forward to opening her up.

Cheers

Matt

Timbo1980
10-04-2014, 07:13 PM
I have a 17C, but with a 115 (2st), would be interested to see what top speed you get out of it.

Salad Fingers
10-04-2014, 10:04 PM
Thanks for that, that is going quick for a boat that size! Do you have much trouble getting out of the hole?

I will be taking the V17 for a run on the broadwater on the weekend, looking forward to opening her up.

Cheers

Matt

pops on the plane quick as - not quite as quick as with the 19p prop on :D but certainly doesn't feel sluggish.

Definitely report back how you go mate be interested to see the difference.

matt fraser
12-04-2014, 05:52 PM
I put the 21 P prop on and went for a run, just two up with my young fella. It was a lot of fun! Wound it out a couple time to 6 grand plus but it only got it to 67km/h, so I think I need to go to the next size prop.

Loved the ride and handling though, we were just on the GC broadwater, so just had boat wash to contend with mainly. Poked out throught the seaway for a brief look. The boat ate up the conditions, so much fun to drive.

Its weight would be under 1000kg I believe, so I reckon we should be able to 75 maybe 80 if I can get it propped right.

Cheers

Matt

rodneyk
12-04-2014, 06:14 PM

Thanks,

Matt
Hey Matt just get a 21inch alloy it will be spot on should spin that easily also what garry said not going to hurt it give it full bore for short bursts it wont hurt it .Had 140 on tournament 1900 did 6000 revs full noise and trim .Got new 140 lean burn on 6.4 Aussie Classic centre cab running 19 Alloy 6200 revs don't waste your money on stainless prop wont help hole shot or top end spend $600 on something played with props on both boats no obvious difference but slight stern lift .That 140 on 17 Haines should fly Cheers Rod ps new motor has done 60 hrs now using .4ltr per klm at 4200rpm40 + klms per hour

matt fraser
13-04-2014, 08:53 AM
Thanks Rodney, what sort of top end speeds did you get out of your Tournament?
I ran the 21p and it only went 67 km/h so I will try a 23p which I think is the biggest alloy. In stainless up to 25p.

Sounds like great economy there.

Cheers,
Matt

rodneyk
13-04-2014, 09:53 AM
Hi Matt about 62 klms from memory top end isn't where its at though mid range is what you want your not going to ring its neck all the time you shouldn't run the biggest prop either don't overload the gearboxes free revving is what you need once your engine is doing 6200rpm the rev limiter will kick in anyway and all is recorded on computer will probably pull a couple more ks when it loosens up about 80 hrs why would you want more than 70 klms per hour anyway just my thoughts Cheers Rod

matt fraser
13-04-2014, 11:48 AM
Thanks for that Rod, I do a few bream comps, so its nice to be able to cover the distances quickly, gives you more options, and makes it easier to change spots. I have been restricted by running a 60hp for the last eight or so years, so I am looking forward to the increased speed and range available on some venues.

Just trying to get it propped right, to get the best out of it, no point paying for the ponies if I don't use them.

It will be a different story offshore, the 21 will be perfect for outside.

Cheers,

Matt

Salad Fingers
14-04-2014, 04:51 PM
Hey Matt just get a 21inch alloy it will be spot on should spin that easily also what garry said not going to hurt it give it full bore for short bursts it wont hurt it .Had 140 on tournament 1900 did 6000 revs full noise and trim .Got new 140 lean burn on 6.4 Aussie Classic centre cab running 19 Alloy 6200 revs don't waste your money on stainless prop wont help hole shot or top end spend $600 on something played with props on both boats no obvious difference but slight stern lift .That 140 on 17 Haines should fly Cheers Rod ps new motor has done 60 hrs now using .4ltr per klm at 4200rpm40 + klms per hour

Gotta disagree with you mate, I got an extra couple of kph top speed while maintain the same hole shot by going to a stainless on my DF140a.
Plus they are so much more durable you save money in the long run I reckon.

Good to hear the bigger prop is getting you in the right direction Matt Fraser.

rodneyk
15-04-2014, 05:54 PM
That's ok Salad just my opinion I decided to spend money on anchor winch instead . don't run shallow water or drive at full noise as it actually did 3klms per hr less at 5000rpm and let go at lessor trim genuine suzu prop13 7/8 x 19 stainless

Salad Fingers
16-04-2014, 08:07 AM
sounds like you just had the wrong prop mate. all Suzuki genuine props are 14in diameter and only in even pitch increments too, so something is amiss there. sounds like you had a solas prop.

rodneyk
16-04-2014, 07:21 PM
Maybe you need to do a bit more research on available genuine Suzuki props from the Haines group as I did as I said just my opinion for Matts info hope that clears the air have a nice Easter Rod

Salad Fingers
16-04-2014, 08:32 PM
Don't wanna drag this on but if you're going to come out all guns blazing it would be appropriate to back it up with evidence.
I can 100% guarantee you that no Suzuki OEM branded prop is 13 7/8 x 19p.
If The Haines group has told you that is a genuine prop then they are being dishonest.
My Suzuki dealer certainly could not get me a 23p Suzuki stainless prop... 22 or 24..

Have a look here if you want some further information on what is available as OEM props for a DF140a
http://www.boats.net/propellers/Suzuki/140/DF%20140%204-Stroke%20%2815%20Spline%29/All%20Years/props.html

anyway, happy Easter to you too mate.

rodneyk
17-04-2014, 01:36 PM
Available Genuine Suzuki props

Marko888
18-04-2014, 08:39 AM
Interesting Propeller chart. In North America, we typically see only the 14 1/4 x even pitch models. They are considered to be quite good.

matt fraser
18-04-2014, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Up to 17 hours now after a big sess today, Scarborough to Cape Moreton back to Tangas then sandhills, then back to Scarborough, great conditions. Wound it out on the way home hit 69km/h at 6120rpm.
Going to hit 20 hrs before the weekend is out, will talk prop options further at first service.

Smithy
18-04-2014, 11:06 PM
It will keep freeing up for you Matty. Like Rodney has said, I'd be happy to see it redline at 6,000-6,200. Let them spin easy is the go from all the talk.

Salad Fingers
19-04-2014, 02:26 PM
that is a truly unusual prop chart, I stand corrected then! but it certainly doesn't match my (or anyone I knows) experience with Suzuki props - with uneven number pitch stainless props.

anyway good to hear your getting some hours on her Matt. and yes they love to rev. try and prop it to sit around 6200rpms at WOT and you'll be laughing.

rodneyk
19-04-2014, 05:35 PM
Hi matt seen your boat yesterday arvo you were driving out of scarby did it start out life as a 17R ????? .Talked to a guy today when we got back to spinnaker sound with standard v17R 140 SUZI he was running 23inch pitch and said he could just touch 90 ks fully trimmed must be running it very high ?????? I think I heard right as he come over and asked about my decals

matt fraser
21-04-2014, 08:26 PM
Thanks Rod, yep that was me, how busy was the ramp! It will be great when they finish the other ramp.

Great weekend out there though. 90ks is flying, I think I'd like to try a 22 or 23.

My boat started life as a V17C but had the top deck removed and been converted to CC.

What boat were you in?

Cheers,

Matt

rodneyk
22-04-2014, 05:51 PM
Hi Matt didn't go out Friday My boat is a 6.1 Aussie Classic built by Moda Marine Clontarf will try to get some photos up soon . Just went for a drive Friday arvo with the minister for war & finance

matt fraser
22-04-2014, 08:09 PM
Nice, the few Modas I have seen look very classy for a Platey.

Service booked for Thursday, and may look at raising motor one hole and trying a stainless. I am very happy with the 21 for the bay and offshore. But want to try and get a bit more speed on the smooth water.

Cheers,

Matt