PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal.....? F150 Yamaha 20 hr service

kiwimex
06-04-2014, 01:30 PM
Hi all,

Is this normal?

I have just completed the 20hr service on my Yamaha F150 and while completing the gear case oil change I did find a little bit of sludge with a few fine metal filings on the end of the magnetic drain plug. see attached photo, sorry about the poor quality of the photo, sludge size was about the same size as a match head.

The oil out of the gear case was crystal clean otherwise.

Im assuming theres nothing to worry about as I would expect a little bit of this on a new engine......?

Any other opinions out there...?

Cheers

Steve

whereswoody
06-04-2014, 03:26 PM
Don't get concerned yet. We get this sort of thing in brand new Caterpillar components all the time. Just do a 10 hourly check to ensure it is not making more metal. Assume it is from the bedding of gears and maybe casting not cleaned out sufficiently from new.

kiwimex
06-04-2014, 06:20 PM
Don't get concerned yet. We get this sort of thing in brand new Caterpillar components all the time. Just do a 10 hourly check to ensure it is not making more metal. Assume it is from the bedding of gears and maybe casting not cleaned out sufficiently from new.

Pretty much my thoughts as well....

captain rednut
06-04-2014, 07:13 PM
Thats why they tell you to change the oil at 20hrs to get rid of exactly what you have found. it is perfectly normal

kiwimex
07-04-2014, 05:06 PM
Thats why they tell you to change the oil at 20hrs to get rid of exactly what you have found. it is perfectly normal

For the cost of the gear lube I will change the lube again at 40hrs to see the comparison.

Si
07-04-2014, 06:03 PM

Exactly. All metal components that have been cast or machines would very slight high spots that would get removed or worn during operation of engine, meshing of gears etc. This twenty hour service is one of the most important.