PDA

View Full Version : Berley sinkers.

gruntahunta
31-03-2014, 07:02 AM
Had my thinking cap on and came up with this. Do you think it would work?

Freeze a berley mix go fish guts, tuna oil and whatever in those cubed ice block trays that everyone has in there freezer. Once frozen drill a small hole through them and return to freezer. Now they could be used like a running sinker on the trace between the swivel and hook or above the swivel.

You can cast with it, then the Berley block would melt where you want it( near the hook). And you are fishing as light as you can. Sounds alright to me, anyone done this?

benji64
31-03-2014, 07:29 AM
ice would float .maybe for floating pillies I suppose

Bremic
31-03-2014, 08:17 AM
What are you trying to catch? The humble pillie provides a berley and oil/scent.

Pollard mixed with a bit of oil and water makes a good berley and can be used in a berley cage attached to a sinker if required.

Dignity
03-04-2014, 06:57 PM
as benji says, I think this would float and not do what you want.

tunaticer
03-04-2014, 07:28 PM
I think you would suffer plenty of bite off events with the berley being on the line.

When I used to berley a lot i would freeze minced fish scraps in lime sized balls. In the middle of the ball I would put a 20mm nut or similar. certainly gets the berley down to where you want it to be.

gruntahunta
04-04-2014, 06:37 AM
Ok.....well then just apply a sinker.....that will make it sink..

Crunchy
04-04-2014, 07:43 AM
I had a huge block of berley (20Kg) ready to deploy to the bottom in a home made cage like a crab bait holder but 20 times bigger, threw it over the side, damn thing just floated.

Dignity
04-04-2014, 12:15 PM
I think you would suffer plenty of bite off events with the berley being on the line.

When I used to berley a lot i would freeze minced fish scraps in lime sized balls. In the middle of the ball I would put a 20mm nut or similar. certainly gets the berley down to where you want it to be.
you could attached to a swivel on the main line with a short light trace and you would have less chance of being bitten off