PDA

View Full Version : dream boat "tidy up" hains v17l

kennzo
27-03-2014, 09:06 PM
ok after a long time checking out the classifieds gumtree etc etc, if finally found the perfect boat for me and my crew. its a solid hull, needs a bit of a tidy up but structurally sound. i paid 6500 for the boat and budget another 4-5 k for the tidy up eg gelcoat repairs, electronics etc.
i realise the boat will struggle with any more then 2 and basic fishing gear aboard, but apparently will do 47 kph flat strap with one aboard on the 70. i have a late 90s yammy 70 2 stroke in good nic and the plan is to flip both these motors, maybe for 4k chuck another 2k on top and search for a yammy 115 90s model.
these are the pics of the boat sent to me, it really just looks abit grubby i think but could be made into a very nice rig for under 10k. the asking price was 8.5 private seller.

watch this space to see it come together....

captain rednut
27-03-2014, 09:33 PM
Thats a great boat and you wont go wrong with the ride they produce, enjoy your new purchase.
cheers cr

kennzo
27-03-2014, 09:36 PM
Thats a great boat but did you check the engine was the correct model?? its not a Yamaha as it is a 70 Evinrude, either way its still good
cheers cr
yep mate what i mean is ALSO have a yammy 70 sitting at home doing nothing...so plan to hock the rude and the yammy to fund something bigger :)

Vitamin Sea
27-03-2014, 09:48 PM
top boat the 17L's, good luck with it, your on the money with a 115, pretty well spot on with those hulls.

enjoy.

2DKnBJ
28-03-2014, 07:08 AM
Can't go past the V17 hulls for their ride but definatley look at a 115 hp.

Cheers Dazza

stevej
28-03-2014, 07:23 AM
nice hull, too vomit inducing for my tender stomach :)

surprised the transom ok with all that hardware drilled into it

kennzo
28-03-2014, 09:34 AM
nice hull, too vomit inducing for my tender stomach :)surprised the transom ok with all that hardware drilled into itsupposedly the boat has spent a large chunk of its recent life locked up in a shed, with rock solid floor and transom. I guess if the fittings are sealed with the right gear it should be good.

rodneyk
28-03-2014, 07:34 PM
Good buy at 6.5 k trailer looks ok too love them old HH if you find a solid one your miles in front cheers rod

kennzo
07-04-2014, 09:14 PM
Got the boat home last week. I think I found a good one, the floor and transom is rock solid. Most likely due to not having any holes drilled in the floor. Still has the original Haines seats. In fact I think pretty much everything is original, including the evinrude 70.

Was just gonna swap the Yamaha onto the boat before I even pit the boat in the water but old mate convinced me to give it a chance. Wasn't really expecting much but bugger me, after waiting for it to clear it's throat and cough up an almighty cloud of smoke she was an instant starter and ran like a scalded cat all day.

After reading all the post I could find on the v17l was expecting the evinrude to struggle, but with 2 blokes, full fuel 2 batteries and fishing gear aboard the old rude still punch the Haines along very quickly reaching peak revs, definitely no struggle.
So my question for anyone in the know, even tho the rude is 10 years older and runs the vro system, with 600 hrs on the clock should I leave it as I know it has I bigger cubic capacity then the Yamaha 70 and most likely a much better bottom/mid range punch...

Smithy
07-04-2014, 10:01 PM
They are ballsy motors. I went from an '86 60 Johnno to a '00 70 Yammie in '00 on my 15' CC and the difference was amazing. Yammie was typical Jap and made all the power in the top end. The OMC had tonnes down low where you need it and sat on swells better and that even though it was a 14 year older motor at the time. The reason for the upgrade was the shaft was seized onto the spline and I was told I was up for a top and bottom end rebuild. Sold it to the wreckers but it was a great motor.

upstart
07-04-2014, 10:31 PM
Sounds like it is propped right. Good stuff.

deckie
08-04-2014, 04:01 AM
Got the boat home last week. I think I found a good one, the floor and transom is rock solid. Most likely due to not having any holes drilled in the floor. Still has the original Haines seats. In fact I think pretty much everything is original, including the evinrude 70.

Was just gonna swap the Yamaha onto the boat before I even pit the boat in the water but old mate convinced me to give it a chance. Wasn't really expecting much but bugger me, after waiting for it to clear it's throat and cough up an almighty cloud of smoke she was an instant starter and ran like a scalded cat all day.

After reading all the post I could find on the v17l was expecting the evinrude to struggle, but with 2 blokes, full fuel 2 batteries and fishing gear aboard the old rude still punch the Haines along very quickly reaching peak revs, definitely no struggle.
So my question for anyone in the know, even tho the rude is 10 years older and runs the vro system, with 600 hrs on the clock should I leave it as I know it has I bigger cubic capacity then the Yamaha 70 and most likely a much better bottom/mid range punch...
I'd be tempted to leave it as is for awhile and trick up the hull. There's not a great deal that cfan go wrong with a 2 stk as long as u do a full service, and dbl check/replace water pump/impellor and test the cylinders, etc etc i.e. basics like gearbox fluids grease/oil/plugs. Can do most yourself which is part of the beauty of a 2stk.
What you;ve said is you're ok with the performance as it is....no need to satisfy a norm or to deliver other peoples expectations of what the hull SHOULD have e.g a 115. Yes it sounds a tad underpowered but perhaps it is very well setup/propped and a good strong donk. I'd be checking it out in a following sea test drive for power. If it jumps out of the hole pretty well why fix/spend money on something that aint broke ?
Regardless of how the transom seems i;d double check and reseal any of those small holes/fittings incl. the bungs, redo/reseal any transom capping, and if the deck is 100% i;d take the chance to run a sheet of glass to stiffen it up then flowcoat it but thats just me. If there's any spiderweb type hairline cracking of gelcoat then redo those fittings properly. Seek out any flaws in the current flowcoat such as pinholes around vert/horiz joins esp in bilge/tank areas, and have a real good look for cracking along the vertical join at the bulkhead around your feet at the helm...often a sign it has been flogged. Check batt mounts into deck for sealing and scrub clean and look for any old unselaed holes in that area. Basically if the deck and transom is AOK you are in a great zone now and can either enjoy as is, or take out a bit of added insurance for another 10yrs with minor work that isnt expensive. Steering cable/helm might be worth a changeover if not good, as well as those batt connections either cleaned or renewed. Fuel lines arnt too expensive to replace and often a good insurance policy as well coz they are notorious for breakdowns. Maybe a new battery for peace of mind too. Is the plexiglass see thru or hazed over ? It does add up yes, but over the course of the first year, and done in stages to your own priority list, it isnt as big a wallet hit to create an absolute cracker.

From your own words it sounds like the previous owner wasnt a lazy bastard and did things the right way so you;ve done very well...its a huge relief when there's no buyers remorse and u realise the previous owner wasnt a jackass. Whynot just suck it and see with motor performance/relaibility. You at least have a spare.

Forget the toys for awhile and dble/triple check the guts of the hull because you could get 20 more years out of it with some basic prep right now.

Trailer and boat looks terrific from a distance. A real good scrub/polish inside and out and you might be amazed how good the gelocoat comes up. Well done congrats.
Steve

deckie
08-04-2014, 04:40 AM
btw...strorage is worth a thought. Work on the principle that saltwater is the enemy of the trailer and motor, but freshwater is the enemy of the boat.
I'd definitely reseal those bungs from the inside as well, and triple check the transom capping. Rainwater is one of the big things to check...needs to get away without pooling or flowing onto major thru/over transom fittings or capping. Wouldnt surprise me if someone told me 75% of all premature hull deaths were caused by rainwater/neglect. Its like the forgotten zone of maintenance but the cheapest and easiest.
That ladder can come off as well as the aux motor bracket...save weight on transom will help performance, but the holes MUST be sealed extremely well to pro level which isnt hard. Any weight u can get off the transom is instant performance and means u have scope for baitboards/b'bucket later on.
You may have got yourself a cracker matey, for the $ that excellent trailer is a big big bonus. Dunno about RED though ;D...like it more than the orange/yellow hulls they did though. Enjoy...its making me think about doing another resto myself....rigs in that condition are great to do up and its the exact condition i'd be looking for..nice find.

kennzo
08-04-2014, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the advice deckie, points noted. Bit hard to believe the early Haines bangs where never sleeved.....no wonder theres so many rotten ones out there. Going to enlarged the bung holes to fresh timber and 're sleeve/seal I think.

markbxy
08-04-2014, 02:20 PM
135 to 175hp is best for these boats i have a 140hp suzi on mine cruises at 23knots. Great boats

kennzo
08-04-2014, 04:33 PM
135 to 175hp is best for these boats i have a 140hp suzi on mine cruises at 23knots. Great boats
hey bud. do you find the transom sits low in the water at all?
definitely great boats love the layout, high sides and the look. yet to test her out in the rough stuff but looking forward to it. didnt really find the boat to be that tender at at rest either, me and a mate could happily move around, sure it lists a little when your both hanging over one side but its not worrying at all. but yer was just really surprised at how the old motor moved her onto the plane so easily. was kind of expecting to have to really punch the throttle hard and wait for her to lug up out of the hole, but nope she gets up and goes no problems. i guess the previous owner had chosen the prop wisely. id imagine theyd be quite the weapon with a 140.

markbxy
08-04-2014, 07:14 PM
I had my transom raised to long shaft 25inches I think. They are a little rocky at rest but not an issue I mainly use mine got offshore fishing the extra power is help full when coming back through bars on a run out tide and you are riding the back of a wave
I might be wrong in this but older motors have different power rating to the new ones I.E. Prop hp vs flywheel hp I had a 135hp merc on it back in early 90s and it went harder than the 140hp, I had a 150 jonno on it from 95 to 2013 and that flew 100km/hr plus

markbxy
08-04-2014, 07:20 PM
Haha just noticed that it's is a v17 mine is a 565l same boat just a touch longer but I'm pretty sure the same dry weight

kennzo
02-07-2014, 06:09 PM
Quick update on this Haines jigga. Use the boat almost every weekend. Love it and the old evinrude hasn't missed a beat. I've deleted the vro and it was a massive improvement in performance surprisingly, along with not having anxiety issues when a few miles out about the vro.
Just tidied her up abit. Added a rocket launcher, smart dual battery system along with a garmin echomap 70s, soon to add side/down scan and chirp. Also need some seat boxes for storage as the cabin area quickly gets stuffed with tackle boxes and other various crap. I'd like to keep the cabin for a cosy chill spot on overnighters.
Few happy snaps and yummo mountain of whiting fillets [emoji2]. Got some thumper kg's on the new t-curve 2-4 kg rod and stradic ci4 1000....epic fun.104101104102104103104105

Sent from my HUAWEI G510-0200 using Tapatalk

scottar
02-07-2014, 06:32 PM
If you are going to keep the Evinrude, consider getting rid of the VRO and going back to pre-mix. Best thing I ever did with a 40 VRO that I owned. The other thing I used to do was idle the fuel out of the carbies so they weren't sitting fith fuel in them. All the starting issues disappeared and I knew the motor was getting oil. The VRO has a check valve in that fails over time apparently that then allows oil to effectively siphon into the bottom carby while the motor is sitting. It might not be so noticable on a 3 cylinder but on the two potter it ran like a hairy dog until the bottom carby cleared.

Sorry - missed the post that said you had already done it.LOL

kennzo
02-07-2014, 06:54 PM
Scottar that's exactly what it would do after sitting for the week it would start straight away but doughy and cough out an almighty cloud, which was as u say a carb full of oil burning off. Terrible stuff. Also much cleaner coming off the idle circuit. Dirty old evinrude.

Sent from my HUAWEI G510-0200 using Tapatalk