PDA

View Full Version : underfloor ally tank

mik01
24-03-2014, 12:34 PM
whilst refurbing the boat, I pulled my underfloor ally tank out and gave it a good pressure clean.

it had a fair bit of pitting and scum underneath.

put it back in, connected up, placed some fuel in and went to start her up - strong petrol smell somewhere! checked hoses - all good.
noticed the rear well filling up with fuel! yep - tank is leaking like a sieve.

so after a hasty clean up and flushing the boat with water to dilute the petrol, it seems my tank is stuffed.

I've done a search here and there are older threads about this type of thing, but no current info about who to go to in Brisbane for repairs/replacement.

can you guys suggest if this can be repaired? it looks a write off, ie leaks from about 4 separate pin holes.
otherwise, it might be best to have one made (it is a custom size).
I'm at the Redlands - any suggestions on cost effective tank manufacturer for 4mm ally tank in Brisbane? interested in poly tanks, but they are all standard sizing and I cant seem to find one that matches my size (could go smaller but that's a compromise on volume).

cheers, Mick

Si
24-03-2014, 12:40 PM
Try these guys to make up another one for you. Defintely the way to go. Top notch work too.

http://arkmarine.com.au/

mik01
24-03-2014, 06:08 PM
Try these guys to make up another one for you. Defintely the way to go. Top notch work too.

http://arkmarine.com.au/

Thanks mate. Way too expensive unfortunately.
Looks like I have a couple of options through pm's, or Aliweld at geebung are cheaper too.

anyone got first hand recent experience and pricing for this (reasonable pricing)? Cheers

davo
24-03-2014, 06:13 PM
J and T welding at Yatala near the Gem Hotel. I have had a lot of work done and they are excellent and good value.

robothefisho
24-03-2014, 07:02 PM
just another vote for Gavin at Ark Marine. He did a tank for me recently. Was excellent to deal with. Delivered a top quality job at the best price from 3 quotes. In a quick timeframe. I would be very wary of places quoting much less.

rodneyk
24-03-2014, 07:17 PM
Have a look at what you get for your money before you decide Arkmarine build tanks for all Boatbuilders glass and alloy have a look at fittings etc and warranty there quality leaves the ones you mentioned sadly lacking very important part of any boat I would have thought but then im also Biased Cheers ROD

mik01
25-03-2014, 07:34 AM
Thanks. I do appreciate quality, however I have a rudimentary ally tank now that looks home made. It must be more than 15yrs old. It hasn't missed a beat.
so I don't see why I need a pro tank made up at high cost, when an alternate tank made of the same material has proven to do the job, and may or may not be of lesser quality or lesser quality workmanship. Am I missing something?

gruntahunta
25-03-2014, 07:42 AM
Rule of life....you get what you pay for.

Fed
25-03-2014, 07:59 AM
If you've only got 4 pin holes & the rest looks OK then get them welded up then figure out & correct what caused the 4 pin holes before re-fitting it.

mik01
25-03-2014, 08:01 PM
Disagree mate. Life's not that simple.

mattofbrisbane
14-07-2014, 07:36 PM
Hey Mick,

How did you go with a tank? Did you find someone you could recommend?
In the same situation and looking for an affordable option.

Cheers

Matt

fisho64
14-07-2014, 07:52 PM

hmmm-not always

bustaonenut
14-07-2014, 08:19 PM
Recently had a 210 litre alloy tank welded up at ark marine and would definitely recommend them.

ShaneC
14-07-2014, 09:08 PM
Dont know if its of any use but I have a 285 litre staino tank if youre interested in saving some dough. It too has a couple of small pinholes caused by electrolysis, the tank never leaked til we pressure tested it but I decided to replace it instead of repair due to the fact it came out of a sealed deck and I didnt want to risk it. Its been sitting for 18 months empty and flushed so its certainly safe to work with. Im having an extraneous shit sell off so if someone is interested make me an offer otherwise I will get it fixed and fleabay it.

tunaticer
14-07-2014, 10:30 PM
It is leaking from 4 separate corrosion holes.......how much other pitting is there that has not started leaking yet??

There is a good chance that the corriosion is so encrusted with salt that repairs will be very difficult.

However it may be an option depending on how the tank was made to replace that one side of the tank for a reasonable cost.

chris69
15-07-2014, 12:36 AM
Have you thought about putting a tank sealer in your tank? try googleing KB coatings tank sealer and have a look.

McKnight
15-07-2014, 07:27 AM

You will be surprised what you can get for free. No I don't mean the five finger discount either.

@Mik01 If you get the pin holes welded up somewhere make sure they can pressure test it to find any other leaks. some leaks may only be visible under higher pressure.

Secret Spot
15-07-2014, 11:10 AM
Try Ralph from compass alloy boats as Bribie Island turn off, he does builds and repairs good man to deal with