PDA

View Full Version : Boat accident - 6 metre Quintrex - any clues?

JSY
21-03-2014, 02:31 PM
Saw this 6 metre Quintrex with 2 stroke Yamaha (attached) heading down the Bruce Highway just south of Caloundra one morning last week. Looks like it might have rolled out on the water or perhaps while it was being towed (although the trailer does not appear to be damaged).

Anyone have any ideas or know what happenned to it and what its fate might be?

JSY

fishing111
21-03-2014, 02:39 PM
Delinquent mentioned a boat overturned on the bar at 1770 in the Saltwater Reports, maybe that might be the one?

kiethie82
21-03-2014, 08:38 PM
Gees, that's one smashed up quinny. Be interesting to know what happened to it!!

Jsmfun
21-03-2014, 09:06 PM
There was a photo on f/b last week of a car and truck accident the car was towing a large trailer boat it looked like a quinny

ShaneC84
22-03-2014, 08:54 PM
I'd say it's headed to the auctions...............

fishychrissy
22-03-2014, 11:07 PM
Along the same lines, I saw up close at a boat yard on the Goldie exactly what an unlit barge moored in Gladstone Harbour can do to a 5.5 plate half cab on a moonless night.
Frightening to say the least, steering wheel bent, and alloy console on passenger side stoved in too where the unlucky deckie was thrown forwards off his seat, gives an indication of how fast they were going when they hit. They both survived though, thank God.

JSY
24-03-2014, 11:30 AM
Certainly looks like it has flipped at some stage as the cab looks worse than the hull.

kiethie82
24-03-2014, 08:49 PM
Yeah its hard to say JSY, I once saw another quinny that was badly damaged at springwood marine, similar condition to the one you pictured, however this one had rolled in the s passage bar and most of the damage was done to the cab when they skull dragged it upside down up the boat ramp. was a insurance write off and was sent back to springwood marine. who knows what they did with it. SHANEC84, what auctions do damaged vessels go to?

bennykenny
24-03-2014, 08:55 PM
was a insurance write off and was sent back to springwood marine. who knows what they did with it.
Anyone want to take this one:rolleyes::rolleyes::D

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

Lovey80
25-03-2014, 03:16 AM
Going by Quintrex's reputation in recent years it probably came out of the factory like that.

lee8sec
25-03-2014, 04:38 AM
Depends who its insured with, could got to tender or manheim's or pickles auctions. Possably others. Leigh

Yeah its hard to say JSY, I once saw another quinny that was badly damaged at springwood marine, similar condition to the one you pictured, however this one had rolled in the s passage bar and most of the damage was done to the cab when they skull dragged it upside down up the boat ramp. was a insurance write off and was sent back to springwood marine. who knows what they did with it. SHANEC84, what auctions do damaged vessels go to?

Conrod084
26-03-2014, 04:57 PM
Looks like the one that capsized in Rosslyn bay on the way back from Keppell on Australia Day. Conditions to say the least were diabolical and had been for days. Luck no one was killed.

http://www.themorningbulletin.com.au/news/lucky-family-breathes-sigh-of-relief-after-being-r/2152400/

SatNav
26-03-2014, 08:14 PM
1. I believe we have a winner and yes all survived because they carried and activated an EPIRB where legally no EPIRB was required and were only a few km's offshore so might be a bit of a heads up for some?

2. Here is another view of that boat and the people that basically owe their lives to an EPIRB
http://chrs.org.au/files/2014/01/vlcsnap-2014-01-27-09h41m55s174-1024x576.png

Almako
26-03-2014, 08:39 PM
Wow scary stuff

gr hilly
26-03-2014, 08:52 PM
i have seen it a few times on air sea rescue duty,it is scary more so when children are involved they were lucky and we can all see that safety gear is a god send but most of us never use it but you can see why we have to have it.
G.R.Hilly

ifishcq1
26-03-2014, 08:56 PM
http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh497/cqfisher/rescue.jpg (http://s1248.photobucket.com/user/cqfisher/media/rescue.jpg.html)

I don’t want to sound too harsh but, recent events have proven the need to check out local forecasts before making plans for any boating activities. When risks are taken especially by inexperience boaties they don’t just put themselves and families at risk, they put anyone who comes to help in the firing line too. We don’t have the perfect forecast system (there isn’t one) however we do have a fairly good guide from pretty knowledgeable BOM staff who study weather patterns and give us the most likely possibilities. The dramas of the past weeks could well have been prevented by listening to the local forecasts and when they say there is going to be a strong wind warning you just don’t go boating outside of the creeks. It may be time to separate boat licences and give one for estuaries and another for offshore. The testing should involve handling craft in many situations including rough water because getting your licence in places like the river or a lake is not the same as in the bay or out offshore. To get a car licence these days takes 100 hours of driving on the roads and lessons before being set loose on the public and even then there are restrictions. Is that what we need with boating especially as help becomes much more difficult away from land?
cheers