PDA

View Full Version : Rigging for mackeral ... advice required please?

rumy1
15-03-2014, 10:55 AM
Want to troll for some mackeral tomorrow and need advice. I have Rapala lures, wire, 80lb mono (black magic leader) and 50 lb braid
1. Do I rig it like this - lure onto wire - swivel at end of wire and straight onto braid?
2. Lure onto wire - swivel at end of wire and attached 80lb mono leader and then attach to Braid?

Thanks for any help !

gr hilly
15-03-2014, 11:05 AM
The mono will help
Hilly.

fishychrissy
15-03-2014, 11:31 AM
Yeah Mate, the mono will act as a shock absorber that would be lacking from just the braid, bit of added security I reckon.
Cheers

jtpython
15-03-2014, 11:52 AM
I run Xraps off 80lb mono with 4 foot wire onto the lure . I use the braid to troll with only if im looking for more depth I like the give in the mono for trolling
Jt

rumy1
15-03-2014, 12:06 PM
2. Lure onto wire - swivel at end of wire and attached 80lb mono leader and then attach to Braid? ​Only problem I see with this setup is I will have to use another swivel to join the mono to the braid. Do not ask me to attempt a BIMINI TWIST !!!

rumy1
15-03-2014, 12:08 PM
Maybe I buy another TLD 25 and load it up with 80 lb mono, leave the braid off altogether?

Jsmfun
15-03-2014, 01:31 PM
2. Lure onto wire - swivel at end of wire and attached 80lb mono leader and then attach to Braid? ​Only problem I see with this setup is I will have to use another swivel to join the mono to the braid. Do not ask me to attempt a BIMINI TWIST !!!
look up simple knots back to back uni knot is fine.

Jsmfun
15-03-2014, 01:35 PM
mate if i was you i would get a pack of 12 inch shogun wire traces $8 comes with a snap to connect to lure and a swivel for line. if you are just using braid to wire back the drag of a bit and that is fine if you can tie a uni knot join the mono around 5-10m to the braid and then attach to swival

Daveje
15-03-2014, 03:49 PM
Plenty of different ways that work mono or braid combo's. Keep the braid. I make up a length of approx. 50 - 60 cm single strand wire, create one small loop on each end with a haywire twist. Open up the split ring on the lure and feed one loop through. Attach a 100 LB+ black crane snap swivel onto the braid main line. Then you can clip on lures via the snap swivel and to the other loop on the wire. This allows you to change lures/rigs easily.

Using a length of mono in between braid and wire would help with shock absorption but is not critical. Just make sure you have your drag set so it can take a good run on the strike so it doesn't pull the hooks. The mono as a wind on can also allow you to run a shorter length of wire which helps when they are finicky. For now keep it simple. I have fished this way all season and have caught plenty of Spanish, Yellowfin and wahoo.

I run 65 and 80 lb braid but the 50 lb you have will be fine again just don't set your drag too tight and make sure your knot to snap swivel is good.

Nicko_Cairns
16-03-2014, 01:05 PM
mate if i was you i would get a pack of 12 inch shogun wire traces $8 comes with a snap to connect to lure and a swivel for line. if you are just using braid to wire back the drag of a bit and that is fine if you can tie a uni knot join the mono around 5-10m to the braid and then attach to swival

I personally wouldn't touch a snap with macks, I use Hawaiian clips as they can't come open. Braid is great for trolling and if you're new to macks, run a mono leader, google yacutan knot and do the five turn overhand knot for a braid double, lock it off with a few half hitches, I only use about a foot of wire, that's plenty if you keep pressure on the fish (a must).

After a lot of Mack fishing i often run braid right onto the wire trace via a swivel and cats paw. Having mono to provide a shock leader for macks isn't necessary, if you have a good drag that will absorb the shock (too much pressure the Line comes off the reel). People get wrapped around the axels with shock leaders. If you're a novice though use one until you learn to handle big fish with your driver cutting them off to help you (just the big monsters).

Running straight braid eliminates any stretch that might help the hooks come loose. Your drag will handle the shock. This from my experience fishing both, the straight braid will help hold hooks in fish. If new though you could use a longer wire trace like JT does, I can't remember the last time I lost a trolled Mack lure when running straight braid to a one foot wire leader (single strand) and hits to hookup ratio is very good.

ok flame away guys but if you try the straight braid method you will be pleasantly surprised.