PDA

View Full Version : Advice on semi off road trailer please

Toygut
13-03-2014, 09:17 PM
G'day all,

I'm in the planning stages of acquiring an off road boat trailer. I have received several quotes and ideas, however my intended use of the trailer isn't to negotiate intense 4wd tracks or pretty much anything off the beaten track. I want a trailer that will handle dirt roads or sh!tty bitumen, something similar to the roads heading out to Weipa from cairns, then up to Bamaga. Or the dirt tracks around a few lakes in North Queensland, without damaging the trailer.

Would it be possible to get something like those barracuda trailers I have seen advertised in Townsville with 4mm galv steel framework and upgrade the wheels, tyres and springs? Is there anything else to consider? I'm happy to still slow down and take care on serious corrugations or potholes, but longevity is probably of more concern.

I don't have the first clue in building my own trailer, so any tips or suggestions would do me a world of good.

This trailer will be for a Quintrex Renegade 460 SC and with outboard and surplus gear, shouldn't exceed 700-750kg. ok maybe 800kg including beer.

Noelm
14-03-2014, 03:58 PM
I don't know of any off the shelf trailers that will do what you want, I think you are going to have to go custom.

madmaskbass
05-08-2014, 08:05 AM
Grahams trailers make something your look for. Not a bad design not sure how good they are but for the price I reckon that they look good

Towie0
05-08-2014, 12:24 PM
Thats true Grahams Trailers on Nth Beaches of Cairns do them and a few other Companies if you google around.
I was getting quotes of well over 5K and to be honest they were not that strong or heavy duty and very basic in the design. Thats all well and good as long as they can with stand the conditions of Cape York and across the Top End where there is some great Fishing Locations.

I have put a thread up under the 4wd section about my off road trailer which is being built purposefully for he Cape conditions. I have seen & helped far too many folk on the side of the road over the years with snapped axles, broke & cracked welds, ceased bearings, pillars broke off snapped leaf packs or spring hangers etc etc..

So i have gone serious heavy duty so as to never breakdown (famous last words) David at Tait Welding does custom trailers for Cape York and he delivers them Australia wide his reputation for off road trailers is that good.

His Trailers make these commercial & retail off road trailers look like toys but obviously being custom they are not cheap. i would think 8K would get you what your after the price rises if you want full tilt action & elec winch etc etc
I got a qote for one in Ally from Norweld that was 15K basic off road & $30K in ally to same sort of specs as Tait Weldings Steel version at about 10K with the works.

robothefisho
08-08-2014, 07:41 AM
Consider buying one of the big brands and buying the next size up so it has bigger chassis/ springs/ brakes and order with landcruiser hubs/big tyres. The bigger tyres will give far better suspension action then little lt tyres. The bigger trailer will be stronger then any mainstream pretend offroad trailer.

tunaticer
08-08-2014, 06:32 PM
Go for a heavy duty trailer and have it fitted with soft 4wd suspension.
Stiff suspension will destroy the boat and the trailer, soft suspension will protect it.
Long travel, soft ride springs.

PB
08-08-2014, 09:04 PM
Thats true Grahams Trailers on Nth Beaches of Cairns do them and a few other Companies if you google around.
I was getting quotes of well over 5K and to be honest they were not that strong or heavy duty and very basic in the design. Thats all well and good as long as they can with stand the conditions of Cape York and across the Top End where there is some great Fishing Locations.

I have put a thread up under the 4wd section about my off road trailer which is being built purposefully for he Cape conditions. I have seen & helped far too many folk on the side of the road over the years with snapped axles, broke & cracked welds, ceased bearings, pillars broke off snapped leaf packs or spring hangers etc etc..

So i have gone serious heavy duty so as to never breakdown (famous last words) David at Tait Welding does custom trailers for Cape York and he delivers them Australia wide his reputation for off road trailers is that good.

His Trailers make these commercial & retail off road trailers look like toys but obviously being custom they are not cheap. i would think 8K would get you what your after the price rises if you want full tilt action & elec winch etc etc
I got a qote for one in Ally from Norweld that was 15K basic off road & $30K in ally to same sort of specs as Tait Weldings Steel version at about 10K with the works.

Wow big dollars, have you got any pics of these trailers we could look at?

Towie0
10-08-2014, 07:17 PM
Yeh PB i posted some in the 4wd section.. SHould have it in a few weeks i hope.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?199520-New-Off-Road-Trailer-for-Cape-York