PDA

View Full Version : New boat time! (cat)

Flex
11-03-2014, 05:43 PM
Hello,
Well its time for me to buy a new boat.

Im in the market for a 5.2 Kevlacat or similar . So if anyone has a decent deal going or knows of someone wanting to sell quick let me know as I have some cash and ready to go!. As usual not many to choose from at the moment.

I also have a question about the noosacat 520. I have my eye on one atm which seems like a good deal, but it comes without pods. Anyone here driven one without the pods?I have read they are flighty and hate a beam sea? I was contemplating sticking pods on myself afterwards. But the issue is the motor wells encroach into the deck spare. So id have to get a fair bit of glass work done to remove them. Has anyone had or know of someone who's done something similar?

Lastly there is a very nice sharkcat for sale I have my eye on. But the owner swears it weighs 2.9 tonnes on the trailer.This has put me off a bit. Its hard to find exact weight for these?. I'd be towing with a 3l Nissan navara. Anyonetown a similar size cat with these? or a patrol?

rosco1974
11-03-2014, 06:22 PM
i recon that 07 model 1900 kc for 65k is an a great buy.if my 2400 kevacat sells and this is still for sale this is the first boat I will be looking at...what size shark cat is it your keen on,

Flex
11-03-2014, 07:34 PM
i recon that 07 model 1900 kc for 65k is an a great buy.if my 2400 kevacat sells and this is still for sale this is the first boat I will be looking at...what size shark cat is it your keen on,

Im looking at a 5.65 sportsman. one on boat point with twin 115 etecs and pods. Very nice looking boat. I was very keen on it except im worried about towing it with my Navara.

Short Fuse
11-03-2014, 07:48 PM
Flex.

My old 500 Sportsman Shark Cat weighed 1.84 tonnes with a full load (180 litres) of fuel. It had larger aluminium pods than standard and had 2007 model 70hp Suzukis. At the time of weighing I had all the gear I would take for an overnight fishing trip. My hull was manufactured in 1989. What year of manufacture is the cat you are looking at. The older ones are a fair bit heavier than my old boat.

Cheers

Jeff

Flex
11-03-2014, 09:01 PM
thanks for the info guys much appreciated.

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=16255685&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=12&eapi=2

above is the link to the sharkcat im looking at. Besides weight the age concerns me aswell. Its 25y old makes you wonder how good the transom is? Id still prefer a kevlacat, but that sharkcat ticks a lot of boxes.

Noelm
12-03-2014, 04:09 AM
Pretty rare boat the Sharkcat with pods, very good performer, I wouldn't be too worried about the transom, but like all second hand boats, get it checked out properly, they are asking top dollar for it (in my opinion) but then... They are not common and very few come up for sale. Without upsetting all the 5.2 KC owners, that old cat will eat them for performance, but the level of fit out and finish puts the KC in front, but st a premium price too.

Flex
12-03-2014, 05:41 AM
Pretty rare boat the Sharkcat with pods, very good performer, I wouldn't be too worried about the transom, but like all second hand boats, get it checked out properly, they are asking top dollar for it (in my opinion) but then... They are not common and very few come up for sale. Without upsetting all the 5.2 KC owners, that old cat will eat them for performance, but the level of fit out and finish puts the KC in front, but st a premium price too.

thanks Noelm. how much would you say this thing weighs? how do you go towing your CC cat?

Noelm
12-03-2014, 07:19 AM
they are not great to tow, but its not the weight, more the shape, kind of like towing an Elephant on a skate boat, weight is a bit of a guess, but my "guess" is around 2-2.5T ready to go in the water, it is a bit hard to compare the 5.2 and an older Sharkcat, they both have features that set them well apart (in my opinion) the KC has got good fit out and finish, and trolls into a steep chop better, but the old 18' Sharkcat has got performance to burn (especially the later ones) but their extras are sparse at best, and they are pretty low in the bow trolling into chop, nothing that's going to bite you, but can be inconvenient at times, they are also a lot cheaper, though hard to find a good original one these days. Back to the towing, I would be happy towing my current one on the highway at around 90K, but the old 20' I had towed like a dream, and it felt stable and secure at any speed, no idea why, but there was some differences, the old boat had 13" wheels and tandem slipper springs, this boat (the CC) has got 600X9 wheels and rocker, load sharing springs, but the wheels are a long way apart, so I don't know if that's the problem.

Noelm
12-03-2014, 07:24 AM
Just had a look at the add, seems like the current owner is towing it with a ute of some kind.

Tinspo
12-03-2014, 07:59 AM
If your not scared of etecs and weight it a concern this might be of interest..

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=16372975&Silo=stock&Vertical=boat&Ridx=5&eapi=2

should go for closer to 40 and weight around 1.6

John Buoy
12-03-2014, 05:06 PM
Mate of mine is selling his KC 5.2 he has done plenty work on this.
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=16656942&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=0&eapi=2

Regds Frank

rexaway123
12-03-2014, 07:52 PM
they towing with ford ranger which is kind of same as Navara power and size wise unless u have a very old one.

it will tow very simply

I tow my 2300 noosacat which is much bigger and heavier with a ranger easily and very stable

Captain Seaweed
12-03-2014, 08:16 PM
ranger 3.5T tow...Navara....3T or just under

Flex
12-03-2014, 09:48 PM
Thanks guys for the info! very much appreciated.
Thanks for the links too.

My navara struggled to tow my 21f striper over 90km/h. I believe this was a windage issue more than weight though. I'd imagine a cat would have more windage though compared to a mono.

Maybe I need to buy a new car aswell:).

In terms of trailers, Anyone have experience in alloy v steel trailers? much of a weight saving? I have the ability to knock up a alloy trailer fairly easily.

Noelm
13-03-2014, 04:29 AM
You will save weight of course, but not sure it would be enough to worry about building a new trailer unless the old one was shabby and was close to replacement anyway.

gr hilly
13-03-2014, 06:29 AM
Wind is a real big issue i used to tow caravans and even though some people had a vehicle with plenty of power on a windy day they would find a big swing start at a low speed,this is the cause for most towing accidents power to weight ratio is one thing but weight up front helps.
cheers G.R.Hilly

kaypee
13-03-2014, 07:52 AM
I tow my KC with a 2wd Ford Ranger. Tows it with ease, 110km no drama. It has an alloy trailer with Alko axles. Best towing boat I've owned. Had cats with load sharing springs etc.. Almost always sway at one stage or another. Can def vouch for the Alko setup. Plus a 560 SC or the 1900 KC your Nav should tow them fine.

Also, for the coin, if you can find a quality 560 SC with pods then I would go this over the 5.2 KC. As said earlier, the KC is def finished better but the SC can handle more power and the model you're looking at usually has the better bunk setup up the front. I have mates with both models you're talking about and I'd go the SC everyday...

Good luck

Bremic
13-03-2014, 09:28 AM
Kaypee, how do you rate the bunks in your boat? Some of the SC's have the bunks arranged so you can sleep across the width of the boat, doesn't feel constricting and claustrophobic.

kaypee
13-03-2014, 10:00 AM
I've got the 2100 KC mate so full length beds down each side like the bigger 2400. I guess it comes down to what you want it for.

Bremic
14-03-2014, 10:29 AM
I am living in NZ the last few years and have found an 03 model, 6.2 with Yamaha 100/4s listed for just under $50k.

Noelm
14-03-2014, 12:10 PM
I reckon a 6.2 with 100HP 4 strokes would also have to include a pair of waders, or block the scupper hole.

Gon Fishun
14-03-2014, 12:45 PM
I tow my KC with a 2wd Ford Ranger. Tows it with ease, 110km no drama. It has an alloy trailer with Alko axles. Best towing boat I've owned. Had cats with load sharing springs etc.. Almost always sway at one stage or another. Can def vouch for the Alko setup. Plus a 560 SC or the 1900 KC your Nav should tow them fine.

Also, for the coin, if you can find a quality 560 SC with pods then I would go this over the 5.2 KC. As said earlier, the KC is def finished better but the SC can handle more power and the model you're looking at usually has the better bunk setup up the front. I have mates with both models you're talking about and I'd go the SC everyday...

Good luck
Just out of curiosity, would you be close to the max towing capacity?

kaypee
14-03-2014, 08:23 PM
Originally the ranger was rated at 3T but was re-rated at 2250.. The boat comes in at 2.2 full to the brim, fuel, ice etc...
pulled it out of the drink on big outs with slime on the ramp and pulled it up ok.

Smithy
15-03-2014, 09:32 PM
6.2KCs with the right pods float 140 Suzukis ok so 80-100-115s are all fine depending.

Smithy
15-03-2014, 09:34 PM
And if you are interested I know where there is a 5.2KC with F60 Yammie 4 strokes and a 5.5m Sailfish with F70 Yammies brand new that are not listed.

Flex
16-03-2014, 10:22 PM
Thanks all the messages.

I have my eye on 2 kevlacats. I model has a slight cream look to the hull v the traditional pure white. Any difference at all? Just an older model? Also is there any difference between the early 90's 5.2 v the late 90's/2000 5.2? (I'm. Or talking the new 1900 model)

cheers?

kaypee
17-03-2014, 11:37 AM
Flex where abouts are ya?? And whats your price range?? I also know of one for sale up here thats not on the market yet.

Flex
17-03-2014, 01:10 PM
Kaypee I'm in mackay, l know it's a tough ask but I'd like to keep the cost at $40kish if I can. Cheers

kaypee
17-03-2014, 02:50 PM
PM sent mate...