PDA

View Full Version : Trailer, caution and FYI.

Lucky_Phill
10-03-2014, 06:24 PM
Trailer trials and tribulations.

In late 2009, I was looking for a new trailer to sit my 6.2mtr Pacific Sportfish on. The old Redco Sportsman was looking worse for wear, but far from dead and with me doing long distance trips, figured it best to have a trailer in top condition, rather than hope no problems arose.

A few phone calls around various manufacturers and I called into see Ivan at FMS trailers. I wanted a full skid trailer and other parameters were long distance haulage and Fraser Island compliant. I also had dual spare wheels attached and an extended drawbar. Ivan talked me out of full skid and we went with rollers.

The time came to pick it up and I noticed the tyres were passenger tyres, so I queried Ivan who assured me they met the load and speed rating for this trailer and weight. Somewhat convinced, I hooked it up and away I went. The boat sat nicely being towed and all seemed good. The rig is only 150mm from the road as it has gullwing axles to lower the centre of gravity.

A couple of weeks ago, I hooked up the big girl and headed for the coast, but noticed a distinct shudder affect and in the rear view mirror I could see my trailer wheel and guard shaking. This went in and out at different speeds and at 95kph it was menacing.

Off to my local mechanical workshop, On Track 4 x 4 , we looked over the trailer with the boat off. Two tyres were so far out of round it was scary and the sidewalls had huge lumps in them. I was told these were not far off blowing out and indeed I was lucky to bring it in when I did.

Two other trailer builders were brought in to assess the situation and offer advice and or solutions. One of the issues identified was the cradle that the wheels attach to. A piece of angle with U bolts at either end and spring hangers welded to. There was a distinct bow in the angle and in fact one side I could place my finger into the gap around the middle. A measure up confirmed the wheels, axles and springs were out of alignment and at all times there is no doubt a perfect alignment was not possible and small tolerances are accepted.

With some un-doing of bolts, tapping with hammer, crow bar leverage, measuring, swearing etc, we aligned it all up to a satisfactory standard. We had G clamps holding the angle in place. I also trotted down to Trailerworld ( really helpful people ) and purchased 4 new U bolts, nylocks and fishplates. These were used to strengthen and hold the angle in place. Back on the ground and all looks good. Four new tyres being fitted and like new. Here is the kicker, because the tyres are of a certain size, we could not, for love or money , find light truck tyres of the same or similar size. To fit LT tyres, would mean cutting and raising the mudguards and then the whole boat support system ( rollers ) would require adjusting, a big job.:-?

The problem with the original passenger car tyres is not the load they carry or the speed, it is the tension they are under when turning. They screw and what appears to have happened, is the side wall plys have twisted back and forth and eventually separated and air has been allowed to penetrate thus causing lumps or bubbles and this affected the face of the tyres which not only made them out of round and they had high spots across the tread as well, in other words...... shot. !!!!>:(

This is why light truck tyres should be specified for dual axle trailers and in fact any trailer, so be warned, do not accept anything less than the correct tyre for your trailer. Light Truck tyres are designed with heavy duty sidewalls to compensate for the twists and loads. Having the correct tyre pressures is also a must and I do check mine regularly.

At the end of the day, I received a trailer that was at best “ adequate “ for my needs. . I am not suggesting they did the wrong thing, but it would be nice to know if there is a industry standard for tyres / weight ratios etc.

Attached pics don't tell the “ before “ story, but they do tell something. ! 8-)

Cheers LP

Getout
10-03-2014, 06:32 PM
If it is any comfort Phil, i am always replacing light truck tyres on both my tandem trailers. They delaminate, go out or round, blow up, get sidewall bubbles etc, etc

Almako
10-03-2014, 06:42 PM
Hey Phill, why don't you raise this with FMS?

Lucky_Phill
10-03-2014, 07:25 PM
Haven't raised it with FMS as I don't see the point and believe it will not change their standards. Further more, it is not their problem.

There are many variables, like tyre pressures and long term standing, UV etc.

It has also been over 4 years so there will be no warranty. 4 years isn't a bad run, but I got 9 years out of the previous tyres ( light truck ).

LP

bigjimg
10-03-2014, 08:03 PM
That is bizarre to find only passenger tyres fitted. Ivan built me a custom 8 x 5 box trailer with 14"light truck tyres and standard with 3t running gear.
Said it was pointless stocking 2 types of springs and axles so just went with the 3t gear. Even though my trailer is only rated to 2t.
Every thing about mine is over built.
But every trailer is an individual when custom.
The brother in law has had 2 Riptides with FMS trailers under them and many trips to Fraser with no issues at all and only fished the Barwon Banks leaving home from Forest Lake.
Sorry see you are having troubles Phill.
My boat trailer 5 yrs ago had rubbish tyres that displayed the same symptoms as you are describing and I had to spend $650 to make good.
It just hurts to have to spend the dollars so soon.
Hope all gets sorted speedily and gets back to normality. Jim

Alchemy
10-03-2014, 08:45 PM
Also watch your tyres age. I sourced the tyres for my current trailer myself (light truck 215/75 15). Just out of Townsville on the way back from karumba one disintegrated at 100kmh. Fitted the spare and got home to find I had another flat. Took the flat in and destroyed tyre to get replaced and was shown the date code on the tyre. It was 13 yrs old, therefore 10 when I bought it. The flat tyre had separated and suspect this is what happened to the shredded one. I found my other tyres were the same age or older. So, I have forked out for 5 new tyres after only three yrs. I now also have a second spare.

So, make sure you check the manufacture date of your tyres before you hand over the cash!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TheRealAndy
10-03-2014, 08:57 PM
I have to ask, why RHS? If I was going to buy a new trailer I would never use RHS, its rubbish. I beam or C channel, with regular maintenance will never be replaced.

Anyway Phill, I am about to replace everything under my trailer chassis on my rag boat (all I beam). Going for solid gal axles, gal springs and gal steel rims with light truck tyres. The best config I have ever had was torsion bar suspension, buts its just too expensive. What about brakes? I want to go bronze or stainless but gee they are expensive.

Alchemy
10-03-2014, 08:59 PM
Stainless brakes are awesome. I haven't touched my calipers or disks since getting this trailer and they still look new.

TheRealAndy
10-03-2014, 09:28 PM
Stainless brakes are awesome. I haven't touched my calipers or disks since getting this trailer and they still look new.

Where did you buy the calipers and disks from?

Alchemy
10-03-2014, 09:50 PM
Andy, Origin boats built my trailer and supplied all components (except for the tyres). I think the brand is Trojan but give origin a call to be sure.

fisho64
10-03-2014, 10:15 PM
Kodiak and Deemax (interchangeable) do SS brakes

Moonlighter
10-03-2014, 10:22 PM
Phil, one of my mates owns a well known tyre business at Loganholme. He knows more about tyres than i ever will, and he has advised me to replace my LT boat trailer tyres when they hit a max of 5 years old, regardless of how they look.

Said the salt water inevitably penetrates the rubber and attacks the steel belts, rubber perishes, the fact they sit for long periods between use, then get pounded due to the basic rudimentary suspension on our boat trailers, and as a result of all of that, you are at far greater risk of tyre problems once they get to that age. On tandems, as you said, you add the pressure of screwing the tyres around in tight turns, and its not worth the risk of old tyres.

You could be cynical and say he would say that just to sell more tyres, but he is not the sort if bloke to do that to a mate. My boat hits 4 years old this month, and next year its going to get 3 new 185/14 LT tyres, including a new spare. Probably Yokohama's or maybe Bridgestones. Meanwhile they get inspected carefully every 6 months when i put the trailer on the jacks to check the bearings. Plus they get pumped up every few months, and especially before any trips further than the local ramp.

on my previous boat i had to replace the cheapo Duro brand Lt tyres before they were a year old due to tread separation. I also had a tyre blow out on the way home from a Rainbow trip - had made the mistake of buying a second hand set of Bridgestones from that mob that imports tyres. Wont do that again.

So yes, definitely check the age code on your tyres and replace them, even if the look OK, once they get near 5 years old.

BeastMaster
10-03-2014, 11:07 PM
Hi Phill -I agree with Moonlighter ,it's very common for boat trailer tyres to delaminate. Keep them inflated at all times and they'll be a whole lot more reliable, I find running tubes in them makes things a whole lot easier and stops leaks in beading caused by salt crystal growth.would have thought you should of had keel rollers on pacific sporty 6.2m also?.
Regards
BeastMaster

Chimo
11-03-2014, 07:19 AM
My tyre guy told me the same as Moonlighters tyre guy.

Cheers
Chimo

Lucky_Phill
11-03-2014, 08:41 AM
Thanks guys.

It seems I have upset FMS, which was not my intention. All I wanted to do is highlight the Light Truck tyre message.

I do understand what Grant is saying about tyre age and water penetration and all that comes down to maintenance. That is probably why my previous LT tyres lasted so long.

Oh course trailers will become out of square over time ( ? ) and you only get what you paid for as I did. I have no animosity towards Ivan as I have been very happy with my trailer for the last 4 years or so. I am also now a little more " educated " in trailer knowledge and when the time comes for a new one, FMS will still be in the picture as a prefered supplier. I will just insist on what I want.

I believe it is good to get feedback or both varieties ! The RHS issue does need considering though, in my opinion. When the trailer is turning, the RHS buldges outwards due to the stress and this twists the leafsprings on their hangers. At each holding point of the hangers, the leafsprings have cut in to the hanger, due to the twist. By utilising the addtional U bolts, I hope to prevent this. In other words, I have strengthened the suspension rig to the chassis to prevent the RHS from twisting, because it appears the RHS has not returned to its original position, leaving it bowed and hence the leafsprings out of alignment... but that is just an age thing I guess. These U bolts may cause other issues I am not aware of.

The one thing I will do next time is get the full skid trailer. I have used them, seen them and admired them and believe they are well suited to a big plate boat. But this trailer is holding up well so I don't envisage needing a new one for quite some time.

As I said in the original post, FMS did nothing wrong, but it would be good to know if a dual axle trailer that is expected to carry a specific weight is required to have LTR tryres fitted ?

cheers LP

Blusta
11-03-2014, 09:08 AM
I was surprised to see only 2 u bolts each side and those were placed in the middle section. I would have thought 4 minimum on each side as a layman's thoughts especially with the twistability of dual axles. Good info about the age of tyres. I have a single axle trailer eight years old so I will inspect and consider replacing even though the trailer is parked in the garage when not in use.

no chicken tonight
11-03-2014, 09:16 AM
I just went through tyre issues on a used boat I just purchaced. Started with a blow out at 100km/hr on the way home from buying it. Anyhoo, replaced all 4 passenger tyres with LT tyres. Rang at least 5 tyre shops for prices on a cheap suitable LT tyre with suitable load limits.
Only found what I wanted online (International Tyre Trader) and half the price of the cheapest outlet. Even after freight and strip/fitting, Im way ahead.

Moonlighter
11-03-2014, 09:32 AM
Only found what I wanted online (International Tyre Trader) and half the price of the cheapest outlet. Even after freight and strip/fitting, Im way ahead.

You won't know if you are "way ahead" until you have barrelled down the highway at 110km/hr with the trailer loaded for a big trip, and done that several times, and your cheap tyres are still on one piece, along with your boat, car and family.

I am assuming (always a dangerous thing of course) that youve sourced some cheap noname tyres probably, Chinese or similar.

So many of us have had failures of those cheapo no-name tyres that were fitted to our boat trailers from new, they are just not good value in the long run. There is a big difference between "good value" and "cheap purchase price".

if you never go down the highway at speed and only ever go a couple of k's to your local ramp, you will probably get away with them. Worst case might be a tyre chage beside the local road and hopefully no damage to person or property.

i hope you have made a wise choice, not just a cheap one.

no chicken tonight
11-03-2014, 09:45 AM
Agree with you in that time will tell Moonlighter, but if Im getting a budget Chineese tyre, I may as well get it for half the price of the budget Chineese tyre the outlet was going to sell me.

Spaniard_King
11-03-2014, 10:10 AM
NCT remind me not to follow you when we travel down the road, I am no good at dodging tyres :)

Moonlighter
11-03-2014, 10:52 AM
My friend Jeff, Short Fuse on Ausfish, reminded me of his recent experience with these cheapo no-name tyres.

Just a week or so ago, his brand spanking new boat trailer blew one of those cheapo Chinese no-name tyres on the way home from being collected from the dealer. Between Caloundra and Redcliffe. Had checked pressures and put them on 45psi before they left the boat builder's yard. Only made it half way down the highway before the bad vibrations started and the tread separated.

He went back next day and had all 5 of them changed over to a well-known brand. His boat builder had harsh words to say to the tyre supplier about ever supplying those tyres to him again.

sharkymark2
11-03-2014, 11:00 AM
Spanyard King you just cracked my wife and I up. Had tears in our eyes. There is an old saying quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten.

no chicken tonight
11-03-2014, 11:13 AM
Blah Blah Blah, dont care what you say! Got 4 roadworthy LT tyres, that meet load and speed limits. Better than the passenger tyres most trailers have on them.

fishing111
11-03-2014, 11:49 AM
45 psi sounds very low ML?

Moonlighter
11-03-2014, 03:35 PM
45psi was fine. Very lightly loaded, new boat that was empty of any contents, empty fuel tanks. tandem alloy trailer. 45 was plenty.

NCT:
no need to get defensive. You've made your choice. Those no-names may well suit your needs, good luck to you, i hope they dont let you down. At least now you are no doubt aware of the bad experiences many others have had with them, so i am sure you will keep a close eye on them to watch out for indications of their impending failure. Forewarned is forearmed, as they say!

Spaniard King:

Garry, about a year ago I was traveling to work along the Logan motorway and was overtaking a cement truck that was in the left lane when one of its back tyres exploded,right in front of me. You would be surprised just how quickly you can react to lengths of tread and sidewall flying in your direction. Jammed foot on the gas and got out of there! I missed them all except one chunk about half a meter long that bounced up the bonnet and over the windscreen on my SV6. Sacred the bejesus out of me!

I still cant really get my head around spending good money on a fantastic boat (of any size) and then putting the cheapest tyres you can find under the trailer that carries your pride and joy down the road and keeps it separated from the bitumen......people are strange beings, hey!

Anyway......

TheRealAndy
11-03-2014, 03:57 PM
Garry, about a year ago I was traveling to work along the Logan motorway and was overtaking a cement truck that was in the left lane when one of its back tyres exploded,right in front of me. You would be surprised just how quickly you can react to lengths of tread and sidewall flying in your direction. Jammed foot on the gas and got out of there! I missed them all except one chunk about half a meter long that bounced up the bonnet and over the windscreen on my SV6. Sacred the bejesus out of me!

Anyway......

Yup, I had this happen in a work van once. Truck tyre went on a semi. Smashed the windscreen, broke a headlight and indicator, banged up the front of the van big time. How the hell I did not get hit is beyond me, cause it all happened on the driver side. This is why I dont like following trucks on my motorcycle.

GBC
11-03-2014, 04:06 PM
What size tyre LP?

We've had a great run out of federal ecovan tyres. Not LT badged but 109 load rated. They are a commercially rated tyre for delivery vans.

Might be worth a squizz?

paullee
11-03-2014, 04:40 PM
Hi guys....good topic...been having some tyre issues myself...several years ago chasing trailer tyres for my old 6m half cab no tyre shop would quote on anything but LT. So went with probably cheapest at the time and they fitted tyres with a "c" as opposed to "LT' after the sizing. I questioned them and they said "C" is for commercial and is the same as "LT" due to side wall thickness. Is this correct or did i get ripped? Think i just answered my own question.... Current tyres are 165R13C and also state they are Light truck. So for those that have had to fork out, how much can i expect to pay for brand name LT 165/R13's. Any recommendations sth GC? Cheers...

Lucky_Phill
11-03-2014, 06:07 PM
What size tyre LP?

We've had a great run out of federal ecovan tyres. Not LT badged but 109 load rated. They are a commercially rated tyre for delivery vans.

Might be worth a squizz?

They are a 195 x 60 x 14. The load rating etc is not an issue, it is when there is 2 ton of weight on them and I am backing up and turning, I can feel the tyres skidding / screwing and the wheels are noticably going out of camber... a lot of tension. Hence I feel the requirement for LT tyres.

I have the new tyres now and fitted. I just have to get the trailer back under the boat... you'll see my issue below.

no chicken tonight
11-03-2014, 06:16 PM
Sorry, didnt mean to come off as being defensive, but I dont konw how to use those smile face thingies. But you do raise a good point Moonlighter. Very rarely do tyres fail "all of a sudden". Most of the time, there are signs visable on the tyre long before it fails. Things like very fine cracks between the tread, bulges in the tread or side wall are something everyone should check regularly as well as tyre pressures of course on ALL TYRES regardless of the brand or price.;) There it is!!

Moonlighter
11-03-2014, 06:26 PM
Paullee

You will be looking at around $90 - $110 for brands like Bridgestone, Yokohama, goodyear. Nankang and Khumo are also well established brands in this size. The best, in my opinion, a the Yokohama's. Probably the upper end of that price range, but you pay for quality.

One of the reasons I chose 14" on my current trailer is that the options and availability for 14's are far greater than for 13's. And they can actually be a bit cheaper, too, probably as a result of greater competition in that size.

i am doing a bit of digging and research with knowledgeable people on how to determine the appropriate pressure for tyres for trailers, based on the tyre capacities and the trailer weight. Will report back if I get results that will be helpful to Ausfish members.

Spaniard_King
11-03-2014, 06:34 PM
Phill just hook the winch cable up, hit the accelerator and drop the clutch and shortly there after stomp on the brakes. I recon she will slide right up to the post if ya get the accelerating and braking proportions right :)

uripper
26-05-2014, 04:26 AM
Phill just hook the winch cable up, hit the accelerator and drop the clutch and shortly there after stomp on the brakes. I recon she will slide right up to the post if ya get the accelerating and braking proportions right :)

LMFAO !!! Hey Phil, can I come watch? Maybe it could be an Ausfish Meetup sess??
Mal

PS: thanks for the original post ... a timely reminder

odes20
26-05-2014, 07:03 AM
I fitted four new 175R13 LT Goodyear Wranglers that KMart sourced me about 5 years ago, on my Tinka which carries my 6 metre Yalta Odessa.
I had previously experienced tread separations on 3 out of 4 of a set of no names. Having read this informative thread, I now realize it was a combo of the screwing of these tyres on tight turns etc, and most likely inferior tyres which were LT. I can in the light of this recommend the above tyres. They weren't expensive either. Incidently what pressure should I be running in them with the above specs ? I have only been running about 34 psi ???

ozscott
26-05-2014, 07:37 AM
I had a blow out at 90kph on my dual axle on the logan motorway many years ago. Cheap LT's that came with the trailer. Since on that trailer and box trailer (takes a one tonn load) I only use Maxxis light trucks. Excellent tyre, especially for the money. What about spraying the tyres regularly with the silicon shine products to keep water out...would have to do inside walls also...

Cheers

solaris
28-05-2014, 03:41 PM
Late last year, I blew one tyre on the highway, shattered the rim ripped the brake calliper off, it was replaced with the spare that had not used. The trailer and tyres were 6 years old (all LT). The spare blew out 2 months latter on my next trip up the hwy (luckily no damage to the rim as we were just about stopped at a servo when it happened) I was told a similar story to Grant by the tyre store that tyres have a 5 to 6 year life, I will be replacing all tyres at the 4 to 5 year mark in the future.

ozscott
28-05-2014, 05:15 PM
Yes they do have a shelf life. There is no standard on it in Aus as far as I know.

Cheers

No Excuses
30-05-2014, 03:58 PM
Without knowing what the passenger tyres were its hard to say but queensland laws state that the combined 4 tyres (in your case) are required to be 120% load capacity of the aggregate trailer mass (total mass of trailer, boat gear etc). Eg. 1000kg ATM, the combined tyre rating must be no less than 1200kg. I hope that makes sense. As for the trailer manufacturer he should already know this and if these tyres did not meet the Department of Transport laws and you had an accident due to a blow out, well lets just say the litigation side of things would be ugly. Glad you got onto the issue before you had a blow out. Cheers Azza

Gimme5
31-05-2014, 10:55 AM
Anyone knows whether Nankang LT tyres are OK or crap? I've 4 of them on my trailer and even though they are in newish condition, I noticed that tyres on both axles buckle/twist in opposite directions in slow sharp turns which is not very reassuring. Pressure is normally 45-48psi.

FisHard
31-05-2014, 12:37 PM
I had the Nankangs on my boat trailer for a couple of years without any issues. Towed it Bris to Airlie Beach twice, plus several trips to 1770. All good.

gofishin
31-05-2014, 01:11 PM
Anyone knows whether Nankang LT tyres are OK or crap?.......not the best!

Keep a close eye on them after 3, replace them at 4yrs. A few mates have had bad blistering after approx 4.5 yrs from memory - bad blistering/bulging when they got up to temp, orange to grapefruit size, 1/3 cups etc.

Not sure if the were old to start with, I didn't check the 4 digit date code on the tyres.

...tyres on both axles buckle/twist in opposite directions in slow sharp turns which is not very reassuring. Pressure is normally 45-48psi.
Will happen with any tyre, the sharper the turn and/or the lower the inflation the worse it will look.

Keep pressures up at/near max to minimise their operating temp.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dignity
31-05-2014, 05:56 PM
I have had a LT show a big blister the size of a plum in the side wall so I guess it is more common than I realised. There are several mentions here about tyre dates - how and where do I find them.

overdraft
31-05-2014, 07:55 PM
Thanks guys.

It seems I have upset FMS, which was not my intention. All I wanted to do is highlight the Light Truck tyre message.

I do understand what Grant is saying about tyre age and water penetration and all that comes down to maintenance. That is probably why my previous LT tyres lasted so long.

Oh course trailers will become out of square over time ( ? ) and you only get what you paid for as I did. I have no animosity towards Ivan as I have been very happy with my trailer for the last 4 years or so. I am also now a little more " educated " in trailer knowledge and when the time comes for a new one, FMS will still be in the picture as a prefered supplier. I will just insist on what I want.

I believe it is good to get feedback or both varieties ! The RHS issue does need considering though, in my opinion. When the trailer is turning, the RHS buldges outwards due to the stress and this twists the leafsprings on their hangers. At each holding point of the hangers, the leafsprings have cut in to the hanger, due to the twist. By utilising the addtional U bolts, I hope to prevent this. In other words, I have strengthened the suspension rig to the chassis to prevent the RHS from twisting, because it appears the RHS has not returned to its original position, leaving it bowed and hence the leafsprings out of alignment... but that is just an age thing I guess. These U bolts may cause other issues I am not aware of.

The one thing I will do next time is get the full skid trailer. I have used them, seen them and admired them and believe they are well suited to a big plate boat. But this trailer is holding up well so I don't envisage needing a new one for quite some time.

As I said in the original post, FMS did nothing wrong, but it would be good to know if a dual axle trailer that is expected to carry a specific weight is required to have LTR tryres fitted ?

cheers LP

I totally understand why Ivan from FMS would be upset with you, I had my trailer built by Ivan seven years ago with Nankang 235 with stainless calipers and copper brake lines. I have done 30000kms plus and have never had a flat, blown a bearing or brake problems.

I have nothing but the highest of praise for FMS Trailers and I find it very disappointing that you bagged them without having the courtesy to speak with them first, as you own your own business I am sure if someone was not happy with what your business had done you would want them to contact you first before they bagged you on a public forum.

Very disappointing

dogsbody
01-06-2014, 12:58 PM
I totally understand why Ivan from FMS would be upset with you, I had my trailer built by Ivan seven years ago with Nankang 235 with stainless calipers and copper brake lines. I have done 30000kms plus and have never had a flat, blown a bearing or brake problems.

I have nothing but the highest of praise for FMS Trailers and I find it very disappointing that you bagged them without having the courtesy to speak with them first, as you own your own business I am sure if someone was not happy with what your business had done you would want them to contact you first before they bagged you on a public forum.

Very disappointing

Phill bagged them??? I must be in a different dimension because I read nothing of the sort. If you could show us humans the bagging parts it would be appreciated mate.

Phill had issues with tyres that may have caused the problems to the trailer due to the shuddering/vibrations. Without thick bushy eyebrows and a white coat and a bunsen burner at the ready nobody will know what caused and how much damage/problems. A 4 year old trailer, not covered by warranty anymore regardless of manufacturer does not have any indemnity from anything nor do they need to be notified about being mentioned in any medium.

Dave

Lucky_Phill
01-06-2014, 01:28 PM
Thanks Dave, and you are right as far as I am concerned. I wasn't bagging Ivan or FMS, in fact all I did was offer my point of view and that of others.

Quote from post " At the end of the day, I received a trailer that was at best “ adequate “ for my needs. . I am not suggesting they did the wrong thing, but it would be nice to know if there is a industry standard for tyres / weight ratios etc. "

FWIW, I have had contact a few times with Ivan over this and he refuses to inform me of the issues I and others identified with the cradle. In other words, he thinks the trailer is manufactured correctly and to a standard. Others ( 3 ) have disagreed, so be it.

Yes, the load and weight rating for the tyres is fine, and as I mentioned in my post, that is OK but it is NOT OK as far as having them setup in a dual axle configuration where the tyres " twist ".... that requires a genuine Light Truck Tyre. IMO and others who are qualified to express that opinion.

I also never contacted Ivan in the first instance as the trailer was already a few years old and knew nothing would be done to fix it, that I couldn't get fixed much closer to home and by equally qualified " trailer builders ". As I also said, there were at least 2 other builders that looked over the trailer and identified the problem.... tyres and cradle. My photos show the improvement to the cradle, but do not show, in detail, the damage to the spring hangers caused by the movement in the cradle.

Going back..... I asked for a full skid trailer and was talked around... no issue there, but in hindsight, I would have still prefered full skid. I also asked about the tyres at the time of purchase and was assured they met the standards... that was all good, but in fact they did not meet the requirements of the trailer.

Further and probably shouldn't be brought up, was a while ago one stub axle was chewed by a failed bearing. I was unable to source an axle from anywhere other than FMS. I sent an email with photos and Ivan made one, gal'ed it and I picked it up. Got home and wrong sort, was never going to work. Called Ivan to explain, he asked me to bring new and old one in. Did that and a week or so later, I went to pick new one up and he wanted to charge me extra for gal. Mind you , this is the 3rd trip to and from his workshop... from my place and it's not like it's around the corner. I wasn't happy about paying for the gal, considering he didn't make the right axle in the first place and he got a ' huffy ' about it. I have no issues with Ivan at all as sometimes things happen, so we get over it and move on.

Having made statements and expressed opinions on a forum, the person or the business that is being questioned or mentioned always has a right of reply and is actually welcomed and encouraged to do so.

cheers LP

overdraft
01-06-2014, 01:53 PM
Thanks Dave, and you are right as far as I am concerned. I wasn't bagging Ivan or FMS, in fact all I did was offer my point of view and that of others.

Quote from post " At the end of the day, I received a trailer that was at best “ adequate “ for my needs. . I am not suggesting they did the wrong thing, but it would be nice to know if there is a industry standard for tyres / weight ratios etc. "

FWIW, I have had contact a few times with Ivan over this and he refuses to inform me of the issues I and others identified with the cradle. In other words, he thinks the trailer is manufactured correctly and to a standard. Others ( 3 ) have disagreed, so be it.

Yes, the load and weight rating for the tyres is fine, and as I mentioned in my post, that is OK but it is NOT OK as far as having them setup in a dual axle configuration where the tyres " twist ".... that requires a genuine Light Truck Tyre. IMO and others who are qualified to express that opinion.

I also never contacted Ivan in the first instance as the trailer was already a few years old and knew nothing would be done to fix it, that I couldn't get fixed much closer to home and by equally qualified " trailer builders ". As I also said, there were at least 2 other builders that looked over the trailer and identified the problem.... tyres and cradle. My photos show the improvement to the cradle, but do not show, in detail, the damage to the spring hangers caused by the movement in the cradle.

Going back..... I asked for a full skid trailer and was talked around... no issue there, but in hindsight, I would have still prefered full skid. I also asked about the tyres at the time of purchase and was assured they met the standards... that was all good, but in fact they did not meet the requirements of the trailer.

Further and probably shouldn't be brought up, was a while ago one stub axle was chewed by a failed bearing. I was unable to source an axle from anywhere other than FMS. I sent an email with photos and Ivan made one, gal'ed it and I picked it up. Got home and wrong sort, was never going to work. Called Ivan to explain, he asked me to bring new and old one in. Did that and a week or so later, I went to pick new one up and he wanted to charge me extra for gal. Mind you , this is the 3rd trip to and from his workshop... from my place and it's not like it's around the corner. I wasn't happy about paying for the gal, considering he didn't make the right axle in the first place and he got a ' huffy ' about it. I have no issues with Ivan at all as sometimes things happen, so we get over it and move on.

Having made statements and expressed opinions on a forum, the person or the business that is being questioned or mentioned always has a right of reply and is actually welcomed and encouraged to do so.

cheers LP

I had no issue with you informing others of your problems you encounter , I just don't understand why you would have to mention the Company, I disagree with you that you did not contact the trailer company in Question because it was a couple of years ago . I am sure if one of your clients contacted you regarding some work you did a couple of years ago even if the work was past the warranty period you would go out of your way to sought this issue out.

Lucky_Phill
01-06-2014, 02:16 PM
I had no issue with you informing others of your problems you encounter , I just don't understand why you would have to mention the Company, I disagree with you that you did not contact the trailer company in Question because it was a couple of years ago . I am sure if one of your clients contacted you regarding some work you did a couple of years ago even if the work was past the warranty period you would go out of your way to sought this issue out.

There were a number of reasons I didn't contact the company in question and I have mentioned them.

1... Too far to travel

2... wouldn't fix item

3.. way past any warranty.

4... and Yes, I would go out of my way to fix a problem in my business , but in this instance there was no offer of advice or assistance after the fact.

As for me and my business warranty... I would travel TO the client, not the other way round.

I mentioned FMS as they were the manufacturer and IMO, ( and others ) the trailer tyres were not suited to the trailer,( and this is all a matter of opinion ) so in reality, it was a heads up to others not only about my FMS trailer , but more importantly....... the car tyres being fitted to a dual axle trailer and in addition, the cradle issue, so others could look at thiers. When I first had the trailer built, I did a post on it and mentioned the manufacturer, no issues with that ?

If I hadn't mentioned the manufacturer, people would have pm'd or asked on the forum, just saved time and it is up to people to interpret what I wrote and the issue at heart. As I said, no issues with FMS..... just posting up the facts of an event.

LP

overdraft
01-06-2014, 02:41 PM
Haven't raised it with FMS as I don't see the point and believe it will not change their standards. Further more, it is not their problem.

There are many variables, like tyre pressures and long term standing, UV etc.

It has also been over 4 years so there will be no warranty. 4 years isn't a bad run, but I got 9 years out of the previous tyres ( light truck ).

LP

As mentioned above you stated that you had not contacted FMS TRAILERS as you believed it won't change their standards, previously you mentioned that you did contact Ivan, which one is it you did or didn't contact Ivan.

Lucky_Phill
01-06-2014, 03:41 PM
As mentioned above you stated that you had not contacted FMS TRAILERS as you believed it won't change their standards, previously you mentioned that you did contact Ivan, which one is it you did or didn't contact Ivan.

If you read my posts you will find the answer.... I DID contact Ivan. after the fact... as I have stated.

overdraft
01-06-2014, 03:57 PM
No problems, will post some photos of my experience with FMS in building my trailer.
I think the biggest problem with most trailer builders these days is that they are building to a minimum as this is all they have to do , my boat weighs just under 3.5tonne loaded and I had my trailer built to a 4.5tonne rating which only cost an extra $1200. In doing this my trailer is not getting over worked hence why I have not had a single problem in7 years. I have towed my boat as far as 1770 and on the Beaches of Fraser and Stradbroke.

marto78
01-06-2014, 05:10 PM
I have had a LT show a big blister the size of a plum in the side wall so I guess it is more common than I realised. There are several mentions here about tyre dates - how and where do I find them.

I'm curious too mate I just new spare wheel for the trailer last week and it has an MH number that says 0704 and another 4 digit number that says 0614 by my reckoning it was either made in 2004 or was made 5 days after I bought it?

If it is 2004 I will be sending it back and buying something a bit newer.

Lucky_Phill
01-06-2014, 06:21 PM
the code for manufacture is in the pic.... hope this helps

marto78
01-06-2014, 06:59 PM
Mine says DOT 4YF3 AOO 0614, which means it was made in February 2014. Nice I bought a new tyre.

Thanks mate.