PDA

View Full Version : SEQ. Fishing Evolution

Lucky_Phill
10-03-2014, 03:30 PM
SEQ Fishing Evolution

Since time immemorial, fishing has been the glue holding together the fabric of communities throughout the world and this is no more evident than in Australia and in particular South East Queensland.

SEQ boasts a huge variety of options for the recreational fisher to try their hand. Bay, beach, dam, offshore, river, creek and headlands attract all manner of fishers with varying degress of experience and enthusiasm. Kayaks, boats, jet skis, sail boats, 4 x 4's, charter boats and more offer the fisher a multitude of options to chase that elusive fish. Trolling, sight casting, hand-lining, spearing, bottom bashing, popping and jigging are just some methods employed by those of the piscatorial persuasion. From once a year holiday makers to weekly club members going out to have a fish, this is no doubt the number one recreational activity by number of participants in Australia with age, gender and physical abilities, no barrier.

With this in mind it brings me to the changes over the last 20 years or so that have taken place on our scene. Technology has played a big part in the success or otherwise of offshore trips and also had influence on our hip pockets and the theory of the meaning of BOAT = Bring Out Another Thousand, has never rung so true. Population growth has no doubt impacted on the fishery, but that is not a bad thing in some respects. Fishing , or Angling as some prefer to call it, can provide great benefits for the family unit insofar as social interaction, health & well-being and outdoor activity, which there can be no arguing, we all need.

The internet has been a significant educational tool, utilised by a majority of recreational fishers to enhance their chances of an eventful trip. Internet based fishing forums like Ausfish ( which celebrates its 20th year in September 2014 ) have provided its members with immeasurable and valuable information as well as generating huge social interaction. This is no more evident than the M & G's ( Meet and Greets ) that litter the fishing calendar each year. A simple get together of like minded people / families to share stories, tips, information and beers are held through-out the year at varying locations and reasons. The premier event is the Agnes Water / 1770 M & G and 2014 sees it celebrate its 10 year anniversary. With 50 people attending over the week long event in 2005 using mainly tinnies for estuary fishing, to 2013 with 120 people and 30 boats ranging in size from 4mtrs to 8mtr plateys fishing estuaries to offshore locations at the Bunker Group of islands, it certainly creates social and economic advantages for participants as well as local communities. Crabbing, beach and dam fishing also take place, but the highlight is the gathering of the members to say hello to old faces and meet the “ newbies “, with more and more families being involved.

Other entities like Power Boat Anglers, Team Cruise Craft, Beach Bums, Bluefins, Victory FC and more prove that recreational fishing is more than a hobby or a pass-time. Representative groups like Sunfish advocate to Governments on behalf of recreational anglers and also undertake kids fishing clinics and more. Others like Suntag, ANSA and Info-Fish provide the links in education, research and development of this wonderful social activity. Recognised by all levels of Government, Recreational Fishing seems to be finding its feet in the wider community with facilities and infrastructure being funded and deployed to assist with the sustainability of the fishery and habitat, so that in years to come, following generations can enjoy what we enjoy.

So from throwing a prawn from a jetty hoping for “ anything “ to crewing on 7mtr boats with mates, over-nighting on far away reefs hoping to put big red coloured fish in the esky, SEQ fishing has it all for those that want to pursue it.

cheers LP

:) ><> <>< :)

Crunchy
10-03-2014, 04:13 PM
True enough Phill, what made you decide to put those thoughts together?

Tangles
10-03-2014, 05:52 PM
Phill,

One of your better posts Phill! and agree.

There has to be a but though, and that is where is it going? i just hope we miss the next fishing evolution being smart glasses for fishos, depth sounders on the glasses in front of you, target acquired, lock, cast... saw these today, they are in golf already and no doubt in a few Tackle and Tinny shows some ferret will try to sell me one of these, ill only get one if TOL tries to outbid me!

Saying that the internet thingy definitely has facilitated in my case fishing knowledge and friendships that i would never have previously had and I personally would never have bought so much fishing crap if there was no internet and for this i am eternally grateful.

theoldlegend
10-03-2014, 06:15 PM
Well put Phill! A true literary luminary! On a different tack, now I know why Tangles wears a back pack to the boaties' markets. It's so he can carry out all the sinkers he gets off Barry.