PDA

View Full Version : DPI warning FYI

PeteBro
06-03-2014, 12:08 PM
Got this email today- Bummer i only catch the biggie's!!

The NSW Food Authority advises fishers to avoid eating Spanish Mackerel over 10kgs (as advised by NSW industry experts), as there is an increased risk of ciguatera poisoning. Commercial fishers, recreational fishers and consumers should not eat large Spanish Mackerel, as two recent incidents on the mid north and far north coast have been reported in NSW.

The Authority has been advised of an incident of ciguatera poisoning at Scotts Head, south of Macksville on the first weekend in March, from a large Spanish Mackerel. This follows a recent incident of ciguatera poisoning from a Spanish mackerel caught on Kaos Reef, South East of Evans Head NSW in February.

There have also been reports of ciguatera poisoning to Queensland Health authorities, reportedly following the consumption of a Spanish Mackerel caught on the Gold Coast.

mattooty
06-03-2014, 02:29 PM
I love how the story twists. The Evans Head case was food poisoning and was taken at Riordans Reef (officially realeased as Riordans, so I'm not sure how Kahurs came into it) which is about 12-14 miles from Kahurs Reef.