PDA

View Full Version : This Boating Life

Shark Poker
02-03-2014, 08:28 PM
It was just 4AM yesterday morning. I am hoping not to get a speeding ticket as I tear down Redland Bay Road. Another squall of rain has just finished.

I am taking the morning off work, even though there are customers waiting, things to be done, and money to be made.

The weather forecast is for 20kn of South Easterlies. Yet, we are headed offshore. Somewhat urgently, as well.

The boat ramp at Victoria Point is now a potentially useful facility so the decision is made to launch a twenty two foot/2tonne plus rig there, for the first time, in total darkness with a very low tide, and do it quickly. Then its just a simple case of navigating a new area of moorings and sanbanks and an incorrectly placed channel marker - yes - still in pitch black darkness. And we are gone like the wind.

There is a ute load of crab pots on board. There are 4 rods that would cost way over 2k to replace, maybe 40 lures, 400L fuel, Radar and dashboard full of electronics.....

Meanwhile, back at home, our families and neighbours are still asleep and unaware of the two crusty old mariners slamming across the bay whilst wiping salt water from our eyes and also our iphones, as we monitor messages from our like-minded freinds. And there is no place we would rather be.

Both of us have challenging full time jobs. In fact we run our own businesses. 7 days a week of real life challenges and opportunities abound. We should relax and rest in our limited free time or serve family committments. We can buy anything we want....We need a poor dead fish as much as we need a flat tyre.

So there is just one small question. Can anybody explain why we do this?

rosco1974
02-03-2014, 08:35 PM
the excitement of hearing our reel drags scream,and to get away from our missus
welcome back mate

FisHard
02-03-2014, 08:45 PM
OMG, you've been reading my mind!!
I don't fish very often, but I do several, multi day trips per year, and I always struggle for the first day and a bit. "How will the business go without Me?". "Are the kids and wife missing me as much as I miss them?" can I really justify spending a considerable amount of $ $ $ s on such a pursuit?"
By the end of day 2, I'm normally fully chilled out and enjoying every minute.... and planning the next adventure ;)

Shark Poker
03-03-2014, 06:32 AM

Tuna were breaking up all over the place that morning. There were often schools actively feeding on the surface in two or three directions from us at the same time.
I don't know where all the birds come from but there were hundreds of them as well.
So there we were, two guys with all the gear and dozens of tuna feeding nearby. Every fisherman's dream.

At Home that night, whilst having ham & cheese sandwiches for dinner, I was sitting in disbelief at having caught NONE of them. Still am.

Chimo
03-03-2014, 06:46 AM
And that my fellow AFer is why many before me called it fishing and not catching to quote the unknown wife!
Its still damn nice to be out somewhere bobbing around!

Cheers
Chimo

snapperbasher
03-03-2014, 09:52 AM
You want to know why Pauly.....

Cause in the last 10 days I have fished from the Burrum Riverin the North to the Seaway in the south. Seen Turtles, Dolphins, Dugongs,Sharks and as many types of birds as you would care to list, Caught Threadfin,Mangrove Jack, Bream (both Black and Yellowfinned), Cod, Flathead, Tarpon,Trevelly, Spotty and Spanish Mackerel, Tuna and cast netted Prawns I have also caughtboth Mud and Sand Crabs. I have spent approx 50 hours on the water in that timewith great mates having a laugh and solving all the world’s problems. And inbetween all that I have come to work and enjoyed every minute of it becausewhen it turns to shit at work I don’t let it bother me because I realise it’sjust filling in time between fishing trips!

In that 10 days I would have been lucky to see more than acouple of hours of TV!

And to top it all off I have even managed to put some fresh seafoodon the plate at home!

Our lives as fisherman are just one big wildlife Documentary.Some people just don’t understand and probably never will. I have a few peopleat work who think I live a sad existence because I live for fishing....Thesesame people complain how they had a boring weekend or spent all weekend justwatching TV..... Tell me who is living a sad existence!!!

lbger
03-03-2014, 12:31 PM
Had a good mate of mine come out last thursday who never gets up at the time we went out.. caught a few big spanish macks as the sun was coming up, seen a few dolphins big turtles a shark and a heap of tuna going nuts on the surface.. On the way in he says "now i think i get it Nath, No wonder you love it"
Its just the best thing on earth to get out see all that the ocean has to offer and if your lucky get a few fish as well :)

Gon Fishun
03-03-2014, 01:00 PM
2-3 hrs to get ready and get to the boat ramp. Anxiety is starting to grip. :freak: Rods, are there enough? plastics? get em all or a few, fishing plastic and or bait? both, bungs in? fueled up? which eskies? thermos? black tea or white coffee? cold pies from the freezer or sango's? biscuits? how long will be out 8hrs 12 hrs? more food. Cold water. Don't forget the bungs. Beacon to beacon, hand held gps. Got everything.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.:2vrolijk_08:

At the ramp, unloaded on the water.:2thumbsup:

With a flurry of smoke and a :laola: were off.

AHHHHHHHHHH . The Serenity. :smitten:

snapperbasher
03-03-2014, 01:11 PM
2 to 3 hrs to get ready!!

I can be pulling out of the driveway in 10 mins at most....Mindyou I don’t take food but still...

What takes 2 to 3 hrs?

chris69
03-03-2014, 01:30 PM
Because its a prime evil urge to hunt and gather.

Crunchy
03-03-2014, 01:46 PM
You beat me to it Chris69, its about being at one with the elements, the ocean, taking on nature, adrenalin & risk in an otherwise namby pamby life we lead in modern times (Unless your a MMA cage fighter then I guess that would fill the need too).

2DKnBJ
03-03-2014, 02:03 PM
Hey Paul

I've given up wondering why.
Like the Nike signature " Just Do It"

Cheers Dazza

Gon Fishun
03-03-2014, 02:28 PM
2 to 3 hrs to get ready!!

I can be pulling out of the driveway in 10 mins at most....Mindyou I don’t take food but still...

What takes 2 to 3 hrs?

1 hour drive to Spinnaker, includes getting bait and fuel if needed. Boat is under a tarp out in the open backed up to a 1000 lt tank with the motor in water. Do not leave rods etc in boat due to mold etc. Apart from the usual loading of rods etc, there is the starting and run the motor for 10 mins, batteries in the gps, hook up the boat and being a bit forgetfull, one tends to double check often. The boat is a half cab glass, so a bit of climbing in and out and packing. Probably pack in to much, but it is such a release to be out on the water I don't just fish the high or low tides. I like to spend a lot of time in one hit, move around and love the night time when it is quiet. Hope that gives you a bit of insight to why it takes a bit of time. Once I move to Bribie I expect to be out a lot, 3-4 times a week, so things and times will change.

Cheers.

RayLamp
03-03-2014, 03:58 PM
You answered your own question in your original post - why do we do this?

"There is no place we would rather be"

Simple :)

ifishcq1
03-03-2014, 04:53 PM
good question Fatbouy, Crunchy and Chris69 both beat me to an answer
it is a need that defies words and goes deeper than any of our reasoning
it is something that we do, it is the reason new countries were found, we are the modern expolorer
without our sort everyone would still be in Africa dodging spears and lions
it is hunter and not gatherer (bloody women's work, that's why they love to go shopping)
it is how families were fed before woolies came along
just as important as procreation
it is the reason we live and a reason to live
I can't fight it or even try
there is nothing that stands in my way when the urge takes hold
this has got me into lots of trouble over the years but take it away from me and you might as well steal my last breath
cheers

Moonlighter
03-03-2014, 05:02 PM
Found this a while ago. Says it all for me:

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww298/Moonlighters_album/bd23fb526405bf9c9418a930db152667.jpg

fishychrissy
04-03-2014, 10:43 AM
At the end of the day I love to feel the sensations of fighting a fish through the rod and reel, but many times I go out there is more a sense of getting back to basics to a time when work wasn't the be all and end all of everything like in our daily lives today.
Every trip out in the Tinny gets my stomach tied up in knots from the anticipation and nervous excitement that I experience every time I hit the Bribie Island Road with the boat behind the Ute.
Truth be known I go out whenever I can, and a lot of times that means at whichever state of the Tide, which to a lot of "Purists" would have them shaking their heads. For Me though, it's just an adventure to get out in the boat and take the day as it comes, trying out new ideas or going for a motor to different spots to try different new things. You fulfill those urges to go to new places like the Cockle Banks or 112's, or Bribie Blinker that you had previously only gazed at time and time again in the Beacon to Beacon, then all of a sudden you are finally at these locations and sometimes catching Fish too.
May sound funny to others, but some of these places hold almost a "hallowed" respect from Me, and give a special excitement on that final approach. I think you almost have to pinch yourself sometimes, and look at the bigger picture of how we are to be able to experience the Outdoors and Nature in a way that most of us take for granted, because we, the lucky few, get to experience it on a regular basis.
For Me anyway, catching a Fish is just a bonus, the Cherry on top of the Icing.
Cheers.

daveo17
04-03-2014, 03:32 PM
i agree with chris 69 its a hunter gatherer mentality that's hard wired into us all. and if your whole family fishes you got no choice but to become a part of the madness.

Humdinger
04-03-2014, 06:17 PM
We'll put Pauly
we won't mention driving the trailer off the ramp and trying to float 2 ton in ankle deep water
pushing the boat off the trailer for the first time ever

no matter what goes wrong on a fishing trip
it's still a great day out with good mates and the bonus of no naggers for miles

Shark Poker
07-03-2014, 05:43 PM
Thanks Heaps Fellas for your answers. And its amazing that we all agree on one topic . Such a collection of helpful and compatible opinions are rarely seen anywhere.
And Yes I am enlightened and certainly wont need to ask that question again.

And as an example, The hassles of moving a 2 tonne object stuck somewhere, in our normal working day, would require all types of phone calls,meetings, equipment, OH&S and expenses and possibly take days.
But those of you who replied on here are the type of people that will get a solution happening and also complete in moments. Because although in total darkness and ankle deep mud, we are energised and stimulated by breaking out of (Crunchys' words) our pampered lives. But in this rare part of our lives we are Un-Restrained.
That means brains, muscles, solutions, results. (Stuck? move it. Now.)

Sure, we can get a tow home or a medivac. But nobody is available to help you deal with the other challenges like tangled lines, lost gear and damage, rough water, sunburn, cold, no fish, ones that got away, or you never saw though they were there. Or that empty fish box and accompanying empty fuel tank.

I think that's why we love it and also why I chose to question it.

Shark Poker
07-03-2014, 08:47 PM
Sometime soon, some friends of mine wish to go and chuck their cast nets towards the general direction of some prawns.

This activity is not something I would normally participate in.

Happy to buy from the prawn farm near the logan river, but otherwise don't chase or try consume them. Want to know why?

In my opinion every amateur fisherman that purchases and then cooks, shells and eats a prawn is ignorance personified. From the moment that you throw the wastefully nutritious poor old prawns' head towards the garbage bin, you have supported an environmentally destructive fishing industry that not only destroys baby marine life in mass, but also the sea grass, rocks and coral they live in and even the sea-bed that they populate. As well as heaps of other highly popular and juvenile fish, coral and crabs.

What the?

Whan amateur fisherman to stand there at his fishing clubs party and peel prawns while he complains about commercial trawler fishing, whilst supporting said industry, it is frustrating to watch.

Gon Fishun
07-03-2014, 10:59 PM
Sometime soon, some friends of mine wish to go and chuck their cast nets towards the general direction of some prawns.

This activity is not something I would normally participate in.

Happy to buy from the prawn farm near the logan river, but otherwise don't chase or try consume them. Want to know why?

In my opinion every amateur fisherman that purchases and then cooks, shells and eats a prawn is ignorance personified. From the moment that you throw the wastefully nutritious poor old prawns' head towards the garbage bin, you have supported an environmentally destructive fishing industry that not only destroys baby marine life in mass, but also the sea grass, rocks and coral they live in and even the sea-bed that they populate. As well as heaps of other highly popular and juvenile fish, coral and crabs.

What the?

For an amateur fisherman to stand there at his fishing clubs party and peel prawns while he complains about commercial trawler fishing is as ignorant and misguided as one may become.

Are you on the sauce again?

Please explain!

Shark Poker
08-03-2014, 12:05 PM
The role of the Prawn in our lives has a strange significance.
We can happily live without them. You don't need to eat them. They are kind of like the cockroach of the sea.
They look expensive to buy, yet people wait in line in the sun to do so.

There does not look to be much sport in catching them. Amateurs cast nets in estuaries and pros trawl nets over the seabed for hours. Prawns don't put on any fight, unlike a fish does.

Just typical 'net stuff in this link but it mentions a few points:

http://www.peta.org/living/food/top-10-reasons-eat-shrimp/

Sure, they are great finger-food at a party. But how did they become the corner stone of Christmas day?
My brother has worked in restaurants all his life - he knows about food - and yet if someone isn't bringing prawns (of some type) to a family function he would be horrified. And then he will stand there and actually compliment you on your prawns...

Prawns?

FisHard
08-03-2014, 03:44 PM
The role of the Prawn in our lives has a strange significance.
We can happily live without them. You don't need to eat them. They are kind of like the cockroach of the sea.
They look expensive to buy, yet people wait in line in the sun to do so.

There does not look to be much sport in catching them. Amateurs cast nets in estuaries and pros trawl nets over the seabed for hours. Prawns don't put on any fight, unlike a fish does.

Just typical 'net stuff in this link but it mentions a few points:

http://www.peta.org/living/food/top-10-reasons-eat-shrimp/

Sure, they are great finger-food at a party. But how did they become the corner stone of Christmas day?
My brother has worked in restaurants all his life - he knows about food - and yet if someone isn't bringing prawns (of some type) to a family function he would be horrified. And then he will stand there and actually compliment you on your prawns...

Prawns?

I don't completely agree with all this, but it does get you thinking. And I respect your right to say it!

Crunchy
08-03-2014, 10:22 PM
I would appreciate any donation to my new charity SPUP, even if you could spare a $1 it would be a big help

Shark Poker
13-03-2014, 06:50 PM
Crunchy, I will happily donate $2 now - that's a dollar for each time your jokes made me laugh over the last year. Plus further dollars if it ever happens again.

Shark Poker
13-03-2014, 07:42 PM
On Saturday Afternoon we left Redland Bay to go and help throw nets towards prawns.

We wanted to meet up a group of freinds more than having any individual hunting goals of our own. Which is surely how a Prawn must feel. So we were in the spirit of things.

So after a short cruise down the Canaipa Passage, and after a few half hearted casts we discovered that our designated Net Chucker is an untrained baboon.
I am ok with chucking a 6 foot net for half a dozen livies, that is the extent of my likely contribution. Net Chucker needs help.

Undetered by the realisation that there would be no prawns for dinner, we relocated and delpoyed a spit roast on the beach at Canaipa and proceeded to burn a rather large bit of roadkill. Cow I am pretty sure.

The smell of a fire and cooking travels further than the smell of 2 stroke oil. Late in the afternoon and throughout the evening we met and caught up with many freinds we met thru Ausfish.

1. Humdinger (our Skipper)
2. Mr Nanks
3. DaveNom
4. Captain Seaweed
5. Cobiaman
6. 2DKnBJ (Dazza)
7. Shy Guys
8. Bull
9. Netmaker
10. Fishnchippy
11.Cobiaman
12. The Lump (Macca)
13. Ric - maiden voyage in 7.5m cat
14. Horse - early Sunday morning

Considering the absence of Crunchy it started out as a sombre occasion. Hands on our hips, staring silently down at the sand.
But the absence of characters like Aquholic632 made spirits buoyant and even flowing. Yes Spirits flowed. Wine too.

Aquaholic 632
13-03-2014, 07:48 PM
Sorry I couldn't make it. If I had received an invite I'm sure I would have done my best!

i hope u fellas had a great time!

im just here to give friendly advice to make people better fisherman. If u ever need a hand feel free to give me a pm.

Shark Poker
13-03-2014, 07:55 PM
Here's a camping tip for you, newbie.

Mosquitos find you by being attracted to the carbon dioxide that you breath out.
Next time mossies are bothering you, try not breathing for a few minutes.
I am sure in your case there are other smells involved, but try to deal with this one first.

Aquaholic 632
13-03-2014, 08:23 PM
Do u have a problem with me?

im beginning to think u are being sarcastic

Shark Poker
13-03-2014, 08:30 PM

Well let's just pay that reply the same level of attention as we would in regards to a submerged turtle!

So, the sun went down and we all started to settle....

Aquaholic 632
13-03-2014, 08:59 PM
Looks like a lot of men just standing around.. Any fish?

Shark Poker
14-03-2014, 06:44 AM
No fishes, this was all about Prawns.
Prawns.

Aquaholic 632
15-03-2014, 03:09 PM
Where r the pics?

Shark Poker
15-03-2014, 03:55 PM
You don't believe me? Ask any of the other 14 Ausfish Members that were involved.
And how about that Haines Encore thread, there's got to be another side to that story....

Shark Poker
15-03-2014, 06:53 PM
Anyway, Net Chucker is made an outcast from our group following his performance that afternoon. He is placed to the bow of Humdingers boat so that he may practice with his net. I checked on him after half an hour.
He is wet like a prawn but has caught nothing.
Silly Boob.

Another half hour goes by and this time he has caught a mullet. Nice, I put the mullet out on a 5/0 hook and gave Net Chucker a can of Bundy. You have to encourage these guys.
I return yet again to find my mullet has escaped but a garfish is the latest stunned captive. Onto the hook for garfish, and back to the fire for me.

A while later, around 10pm, the sounds of wind, fire crackling, slapping of mosquitoes, and men speaking of fishing tales (not prawning!) are interrupted by a noise only known to fishermen.
fzzzzzz....

The Shimano 6500 Baitrunner is attached to something. Something moving. We all left the fire and at least 5 of s joined Net Chucker on the bow. It was obvious that the fish we had some size to it. But also that it had run around the anchor of another of our boats.
Captain Seaweed tried to co-ordinate the lowering/raising of anchor ropes but nothing worked to clear the line and give us a clear shot at a trophy fish.
At this point opinions and excitement flowed but despite the running around in the dark from boat to boat, like true Australians, not even one drink was spilt.

Solution was obviously to jump ship. I mean Literally. There was no way that just another broken line and 'one that got away' would be acceptable. Chase it round the anchor and relocate.
Ok, jump, splash....

Swimming with a fishing rod as well as winding the reel, is easier than you might think. At night you have the added advantage of the rod being a direction indicator simply by winding the reel while you are underwater. Further, there is a natural dog paddle movement created whilst winding. And you can use the tension of the rod to do a pump and wind - that takes you to the fish instead of the fish towards you.
Try it sometime.

After a very short conversation with Bull, who was standing up on his bow, looking rather dry and refined from my submersed pov, I swam around his anchor chain and headed towards the next boat. By the time I reached the bow of Martys boat, I was happy to pass the rod up to them and barely had the breath to advise them of the drag setting.
I swam around and boarded that boat. Cobiaman helped me thru the small crowd and up round the Stb side where they gave the rod back to me.

Then Lump (Macca) steps in.
He looks down into total darkness and figures out which way to wind the rod (with black braid) around the chain to rectify the last hopeless attempt at untangling from the anchor. He even manages to take control of the front deck and get us to do what he says.

This is where the story finally gets interesting. Back on Humdingers boat, Net Chucker, has finally kicked an important goal! Thru utter perseverance over several hours, has caught a prawn. Tiger, too!

Alas, we are all boats away and leave him to take a selfie. He even went through the ritual of cooking the prawn on the fire and eating it by himself. Without the celebratory cheers and mateship he deserved.
The taste of a hunters first kill lasts a lifetime, they say. So keep an eye out for Net Chucker in the future.

Back to things that go splash in the dark. After a few minutes a Shovelnose come near the surface. Big bugger, but not the Jew we were hoping for. Both of us in the pic are over 6 foot tall, so its easily over the 1.5m max length.
We released it unharmed and went back to the fire to serve dinner.

Just another night in this boating life, and it wasn't over yet.

Humdinger
15-03-2014, 09:24 PM
We'll put Pauly
this is why we do the stupid things we do
it makes a great story to tell

ric
18-03-2014, 07:33 AM
Hey mods, this thread has some good info in it. Can we make it a sticky?

Shark Poker
18-03-2014, 07:35 PM
Sometimes your efforts are unrewarded and also your friends.
So it's time for a piss over the side, up anchor, fire up the big ol' 2 stroke and move on to other grounds.
Enjoy a cold drink and a hopeful laugh on the way...
Might be back one day for live bait.

2DKnBJ
18-03-2014, 08:53 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ric
18-03-2014, 09:28 PM
Sometimes your efforts are unrewarded and also your friends.
So it's time for a piss over the side, up anchor, fire up the big ol' 2 stroke and move on to other grounds.
Enjoy a cold drink and a hopeful laugh on the way...
Might be back one day for live bait.

I concur FatBuoy

Shark Poker
22-03-2014, 06:38 PM
Here' a photo a great mate of ours took today with his fishing buddy on the northside.
Again with a prawn.

Well I guess small things interest small minds.
Great crab fellas!

'

Aquaholic 632
22-03-2014, 07:13 PM
is that a v sheet attached to your antenna?
someone call satnav to sort this mess out

Shark Poker
22-03-2014, 07:16 PM

Are you getting it this time??

Shark Poker
22-03-2014, 07:18 PM
Satnav does not sort things out he/she only despises things. Go catch your own prawn.

Shark Poker
23-03-2014, 07:28 PM
For those who have been looking for Rics update on his 7.5m alum power cat, well it has been launched and is hugely successful. If Ric comes back here he may choose to generously provide some updates. In the meantime he is beating off prospective deckies with a stick.

Anybody wishing to build or buy a custom made or plate alum vessel should jump at the opportunity to see this vessel up close and personal.

The design is complex, but appears smooth. The installations are neat and tidy. The finish is efficient and clean. There is nothing to pick at or shake you head about. Its not the result of an overpriced bog and paint job but just great management instead.
I have been working in the marine industry for almost 20 years, mainly in alum craft related field, seen about a zillion half made and/or completed vessels.

In my professional opinion, Rics' is as good as they get.

Shark Poker
26-03-2014, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the dislike Satnav. I know disdain is the best you can do. And I would not expect anything decent from you and neither would anybody else.
Remember there are weather station employees, and kids who cook fries at Mcdonalds.
The later are more successful, professional, and much more respected.

Shark Poker
26-03-2014, 08:46 PM
Satnav, Why don't you just come out and say what you really want mate?

Still_Dreamin
26-03-2014, 09:11 PM
Just caught this thread now. Sounds like a classic m&g. Upset I missed it. Longing for a good old fashioned m&g. Must log on to fb more often

Shark Poker
26-03-2014, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the positive feedback, Still Dreamin. I will send you a message myself and keep you posted. There are quite a few coming up.

Cheers, Pauly

Horse
27-03-2014, 06:45 PM
Pauly, this is a great thread mate. A few of us are thinking of a new venue for a M&G. Pumpkin Island was mentioned. We would have to find something to put on Hummies spit to make it worth the trip

ifishcq1
27-03-2014, 07:33 PM
Pauly, this is a great thread mate. A few of us are thinking of a new venue for a M&G. Pumpkin Island was mentioned. We would have to find something to put on Hummies spit to make it worth the trip
Hey Horse
here is a pic looking back to Yeppoon from Pumpkin, the old longboat is on the right
good choice of spots
cheers http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh497/cqfisher/Pumpkinss.jpg (http://s1248.photobucket.com/user/cqfisher/media/Pumpkinss.jpg.html)

Shark Poker
28-03-2014, 05:10 PM
Thank You Ric for your very kind acknowledgement.

"Fatbouy didn't just supply 'somewindows'. He made me 6mm toughened tinted glass sliding windows with black annodised heavy duty alloy frames with double seals, frame-less tinted port windows, heavy duty tinted hatches with annodised alloy frame double seals and twin heavy duty adjustable struts, 8mm toughened windscreen panels with ceramic band and silicone work which looks like it came out of a factory. He also supplied me with materials for my roof lining and cabin lining, various rubber seals and the transom door. All items were custom made to size and strength requirements and he exceeded the quality of workmanship that i was trying to achieve with the build. All items were supplied and installed by him personally and his team.
The rego labels and naming of the boat was supplied by Humdinger, he made me top quality vinyl stickers which were lessthan half the price of the local internet sticker makers."

Don't forget the ten or so custom made hand rails Ric....

Shark Poker
03-04-2014, 11:20 AM

For some reason, Mac Tuna are the only type of tuna I can reliably catch.
Yellowfin still evade me after all these years. Even Longtail Tuna avoid me lately, as stated earlier in this thread.

This one was one of two we caught on Sunday, fishing with Humdinger and Horse off Moreton Island.
Once clear of the South Passage Bar there were several schools feeding on the surface.

Missed a couple live bait strikes, had a rigged gar bitten in half... overall I had a great day and excellent company.
We also caught a 85cm Spanish Mackeral while trolling.

Shark Poker
03-04-2014, 06:31 PM

Worst deckie ever? Am supposed to be catching yakkas for live bait!

FisHard
03-04-2014, 07:08 PM
Nothing wrong with a live squire as a livie! Big AJs and kingies love them!

2DKnBJ
03-04-2014, 08:53 PM
At least your catching fish instead of working Paul. Just don't let your boss find out.
Cheers Dazza.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crunchy
04-04-2014, 07:53 AM
A big fella like you Paul doesn't really need a gimbal to catch bait

Shark Poker
05-04-2014, 07:57 AM
Thanks for pointing that out Crunchy.
And Thanks for going all Hemingway with the capture of your tuna this week.
Humdinger caught his on 15lb line and made no fuss of it.

Actually, the gimbal belt is very useful for the knife and pliers on there, but the gimbal is good for winding in lures while still trolling. There was a lot of weed that day.

Anyway, Jkhbay to give you a possible solution for installing a sounder on your Seadoo, here is how I set up mine:

jkhbay
06-04-2014, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the photo. When I zoom in on the photo to look at how the transducer's mounted it gets a bit distorted. Looks like you've fitted the tansducer on the transom on a small block. Is this block glued (silicone) to the transom or screwed? Did you also run the sounder power off the jetski battery or did you fit another battery?

Shark Poker
06-04-2014, 06:26 PM
"Thanks for the photo. When I zoom in on the photo to look at how the transducer's mounted it gets a bit distorted. Looks like you've fitted the tansducer on the transom on a small block. Is this block glued (silicone) to the transom or screwed? Did you also run the sounder power off the jetski battery or did you fit another battery?"

This is is a close up of the alum block.
The block is essentially two plates of 3mm ally.

It is 'stuck on' with a piece of double sided tape either end, and adhesive sealant.

So, no holes drilled into the back of the ski, which would all have been under the waterline. The transducer screws onto the outer plate only.

The biggest hole in this installation is for the plug end of the transducer cable. It required a hole of something like 15mm. (There was no way I was going to make a hole that size at the back of the ski, below the waterline.)

I should also point out that most Sea-Doos have a thru hull transducer mount inside the ski. Mine is on the port side.
I first tried to use it, and fired thru the hull and it works just fine. So you may not need to put your tranducer out the back after all.

My only real hassle was a poor choice of a Lowrance Elite 5DSI, and it was later pointed out that it is not suitable for thru hull applications.

Further, the lowrance control buttons on that unit are on the stb side, and that is a real pain.
As my Seadoo throttle grip is on the stb side of the ski, I basically have to stop the ski to adjust the depth control or map settings.
If you reach across with your left hand, your hand is blocking the screen.....

So choose a sounder with the controls on the correct side, and a transducer that can work from inside the hull.

Shark Poker
07-04-2014, 05:01 AM
This photo shows where the power/transducer cable comes out.

An additional battery is a good idea, some people say you should not need one, and this has proven to be true. But being alone offshore.....

I chose to put a small spare battery in the fwd storage area. And connect the spare battery to the main battery with an Anderson plug to disconnect them. That way I can easily add extra power if needed.
Plus it makes charging at home easier.

Some of the other guys on here have different set ups on their skis. I would certainly ask Seahorse (Greg) as well.

And by the way, I removed the icebox set up on my ski. It turned out to be a safety hazard.

jkhbay
08-04-2014, 10:10 PM
Can you elaborate on "And by the way, I removed the icebox set up on my ski. It turned out to be a safety hazard". What was the bad experience or issue.

This photo shows where the power/transducer cable comes out.

An additional battery is a good idea, some people say you should not need one, and this has proven to be true. But being alone offshore.....

I chose to put a small spare battery in the fwd storage area. And connect the spare battery to the main battery with an Anderson plug to disconnect them. That way I can easily add extra power if needed.
Plus it makes charging at home easier.

Some of the other guys on here have different set ups on their skis. I would certainly ask Seahorse (Greg) as well.

And by the way, I removed the icebox set up on my ski. It turned out to be a safety hazard.

Shark Poker
09-04-2014, 04:57 AM
A fish box set may limit your ability to climb back on to your jetski, especially in a choppy sea. (It certainly did for me)

I would suggest anybody who is considering a fish box on the back, should practise jumping off and climbing back on to their jet ski in rough water and then try it without using the back platform.

Some times its just way too cold to be in the water at all. I have spotted sharks under the bait schools in the bay, including one big hammerhead aggressively chasing mackeral on the surface (this was February - ask Madmackeral about it) and as I like to jump in with a spear occasionally, well you need to be able to get back out easily.

Last December I got knocked off the ski in a busy channel. You can assume none of the boats approaching have any respect for a jetski rider. So I had to swim over, get back on and start up and depart the channel very promptly.

Am now using an insulated fish bag and put a couple rod holders on the back.

Si
12-04-2014, 04:36 PM
hey Fat Bouy!! Kinda intrigued why you only want involvement in ausfish through this thread? Just curious is all.

Shark Poker
12-04-2014, 08:07 PM
Hey!, Andy H
How are you?

Andy H
12-04-2014, 08:20 PM
I'm bloody tired mate... been up since 4:15, on the water at 5:15 and out half a day for only one spotty.
I really need to learn how to catch fish as this drought is starting to bring me down.
But that's enough about me. How are you?

Shark Poker
12-04-2014, 08:26 PM
One spotty is all you need. Can send you a great recipe.
You must be doing OK to get a day off with a young family. I love this time of year on the water (April-May-June), the afternoons are wonderful.
Seen better reports in your area though. Were you using lures, pillys or livies?

Andy H
12-04-2014, 08:36 PM
Yeah I'm really lucky my wife lets me out to play. I do miss my son in the mornings though... it's the best time for playing. We also got him his first life jacket the other day. 6 months old and he's already 8kg, I think he's gonna be a big boy like his daddy!
We were using pilly's this morning as we didn't come across any bait. We went out through the seaway and headed on down to Mermaid with the rest of the flotilla. Out of all of the boats there we only noticed one other fish landed. Around 10ish we strapped on some x-raps and a skirt and went for a troll for not a sniff. I think I need someone to show me how to use my sounder properly and how to catch fish off shore. Most of my fishing has been done off the bank or done the pin. I really love being off shore though, it's so peaceful.

Shark Poker
13-04-2014, 06:44 AM
Andy,
with your sounder, it normally comes down to playing with all the settings until you have a better feel and confidence.
Having said that, I am amazed how many very experienced guys look at a huge show of fish and mutter "... yeah..bait" without further interest.

You should probably try burleying. One of our former (banned) members went out thru the seaway last weekend anchored and got the burley going. Then sat back waiting for the fish. Below is a photo of his catch.

102448 Good luck next trip Andy.

Shark Poker
18-05-2014, 03:19 PM
Recently I have been interested in refining a burley system to improve my fishing. I have come across too many uncooperative and disinterested fish.
I thought it would be good if the burley sank rather than floated on the surface like tuna oil does.
Also, it would work more effectively if it dispersed slowly and evenly over a say, half hour period.
All the usual ingredients from the bait freezer were used, plus a few particular additions to help it mix, sink and disperse slowly.

While working at the marina this morning, I decided to test some of it. At first, nothing.....

Shark Poker
18-05-2014, 03:31 PM
After a little while, as expected, the little Bream started to show up. Then some a little bigger.
At first, every time I tried to approach them to take a photo, they would scatter.
But later, maybe half an hour later, they were confidently feeding and ignored my proximity. (See second photo)

Later, it was still all happening. The 300-400g of burley had entertained over 20 Bream (there were way more than the photos show) for over an hour plus whatever other species lurked down beneath.
There was no residue on the surface, the burley all slowly sank.

Now to try it offshore.....http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/images/icons/icon6.png