PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Times with the Boat and Family

copie
02-03-2014, 07:03 PM
I live in Brisbane and always have. I have been up and down the Qld coast many times not always with a boat, the family enjoy fishing so we try for destinations where we can fish. I have holidayed at Hervey bay more times than i can count since a child so about 45-50 years but its just not what it used to be like most places i guess. Over the years i have done most of my our fishing in Moreton bay mostly the northern end and out off Mooloolaba so when you have a holiday is nice to go somewhere else.

I have looked at Coffs Harbour a few times but dont have any marks or know anyone who goes there, so not sure if its more the offshore type fishing only or if there is the whiting/flathead/bream etc also. I have been to 1770 as well but unless the weather allows crossing the entrance where do you fish and if you don't fish there isn't much else to do i not one to just want to sit around and relax.

Some people have suggested North Stadie or even Noosa love Noosa but there doesn't appear to be much in the way of accommodation for boat owners although i believe the river fishes well and with good weather a run out over the bar could easily be done.

So what do you all think and give me some suggestions or places you holiday. Oh I've got a TABS 532 centre console with a Yamaha 100hp 4 stroke carry 110lts of fuel.

Thanks in advance Mark.

spelchek
02-03-2014, 07:35 PM
Check out Iluka or Bundy. Both offer river/estuary or 'easy' offshore. Can get houses on the beach at both.

Out-Station
02-03-2014, 07:53 PM
1 hour further south of coff= south west rocks. Awesome spot for a familly fishing friendly holiday. Only drawback is the mighty Maclay river bar. Pm me if you want any info. Been fishing there on and off for 20 or more years.

Alchemy
02-03-2014, 08:01 PM
Head north! Yes it is a fair hike fro Brisbane but it is worth it. With your boat you could easily run out of Lucinda or mission beach. The reef from mission starts at about 20km out and 40 from Lucinda. The reef and islands up here are awesome. SQ and NSW have nothing on NQ when it comes to boating and fishing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jsmfun
02-03-2014, 08:06 PM
I second iluka it's very family friendly

cheers scott

FisHard
02-03-2014, 08:17 PM
We (our family) just had a weekend up at Bargara near bundaberg and loved it. I believe there's a big artificial reef just offshore plus other spots further out.
Don't be so quick to dismiss 1770, as long as you can get offshore, there's endless options.

Moonlighter
02-03-2014, 08:29 PM
Evans Head. Just 2.5 hrs south of here and just past Ballina. Easy drive too.

Good accom options, plenty of good houses to rent and great caravan oark with cabins if you prefer that.

There is always the river if its too rouugh to go offshore. The usual estuary species, crabs, and jew in the deep holes and near the bridge. Good fishermans co-op for prawns, ice etc.

If you do get out, the close reefs are only a few k's out, there are some great options within 20ks of the bar, and a bit wider there are some reel ooglies of the deep. Nailed my best snapper there, 11.0kg on a SP on 20lb braid. Got spooled by what we think was a huge wahoo when slow trolling a livie.

We go there a couple of times a year. Love it!

fishychrissy
02-03-2014, 08:55 PM
Coffs has some great fishing to offer.
Inshore bait grounds, about 10 minutes from the Ramp fish well for Macks, trolling around the headlands can turn up Longtails and Kings.
Drifting the 30m line can produce Snapper, Flatties, and a few Pearlies.
A trip out to the Lighthouse which is about 20kms can yield Snapper, Kings and Pelagics.
The Wave Recorder Buoy about 12-15km due East of the Harbour had us catching small Kings and Mahi Mahi on a Soft Plastics outfit one time too.
Big Spanish turn up at the right time of the season at Pig Island, about 500m from the Southern Harbour Wall.
Used to love living there but had to move to Brissy for work, still miss the fishing.
Good places to stay at Boambee or in Coffs itself. The local Fisho Club is about 2 minutes from the Ramp, and they put on a nice feed and the beer is cold, also have a good fish cleaning area.
Cheers.

Triple
03-03-2014, 08:36 AM
1 hour further south of coff= south west rocks. Awesome spot for a familly fishing friendly holiday. Only drawback is the mighty Maclay river bar. Pm me if you want any info. Been fishing there on and off for 20 or more years.

+1 for SWR...

copie
04-03-2014, 07:56 PM
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions i have been to all of them with the exception of south west rocks and mainly fished land based. I guess to me all the bar crossings south of the tweed can be rather full on especially if you want to take the family fishing, yes you get some very good days but they appear to be only when i am no there. Seriously thinking 1770 but had not thought about the Lucinda/Cardwell area. I have been on Google checking out accommodation and things to do in all the suggested area's (yet to do Bargara) so please keep them coming.
Oh doesn't anyone holiday at Stadbroke island or Noosa would love to here about ether of these.

Mark