PDA

View Full Version : OUTWIDE 2 Finally it has begun...

outwide1
28-02-2014, 02:23 PM
Some of you may of read my last thread on the build of our new 8.1m Performance Plate boat.
Rather then it becoming a thread consisting of a hundred pages i have started a new one.
I received a call a couple of days prior to flying home for RNR from Sam to inform me that the bottom had been started and to pop in to have a look while i was home.
Well, i couldn't wait and went straight from the airport to the workshop to have a look.(much to my wife's disgust who has waited 3 weeks to see me)
What an awesome sight to see the beginning of what has seemed so long of a point to get too.
I have included some pics and will continue to share as the build progress's.
I can honestly say this will be the first and last boat i do this way and i haven't even begun to get right into it yet.
It was so much easier when we walked into Cruisecraft and ordered a boat that was picked up 12 weeks later.lol
Enjoy, Mick.

Bremic
28-02-2014, 03:30 PM
She is going to be an impressive boat.

What is causing more stress than a fibreglass build? Is it just the custom nature, too many choices?

Don't mean to hijack the thread, will delete post if you wish.

rosco1974
28-02-2014, 04:23 PM
looks awsome mick,hope you not going to just whiting fish from this beast.lol.
p.s you got anymore knife jigs you don't need mate,lost a few now of the ones I got off ya

stevemid
28-02-2014, 05:49 PM
Awesome looking boat.

Steve

outwide1
28-02-2014, 09:52 PM
Bremic, all good mate,this is what forums are for. I'm reffereing to the amount time spent searching and studying what and where everything is going to go. Sourcing the bits,quotes,and making sure everything comes together as it is built.It does't help when i am away for 3 weeks of the month as well.
Your basically doing what would normally be done by the builder,you also have to pay for that service.
I had quotes of up to $200000 for what i am building and that was a basic electronics package.

Rosco,it will make for a good bream and bass boat.lol
No more jigs bud,you took the lot.
Go lives mate.
You been a bit quiet mate, gee i need to have a fish soon.Its harder then i thought it was going to be.
Cheers Mick.

bannana
28-02-2014, 11:11 PM
Mick I should have my boat back in the water soon and we can tee that trip up north. I've been out of the water this year to date but keen to go hard in a few weeks again.

by the looks of that front on photo your rig is going to cut through the ocean like a knife to butter. What weight are you expecting on the trailer? How much fuel are you carrying? How much range are you expecting?

cheers

keith

fishing111
28-02-2014, 11:25 PM

Back In Black
01-03-2014, 06:05 AM
Mick I should have my boat back in the water soon and we can tee that trip up north. I've been out of the water this year to date but keen to go hard in a few weeks again.

by the looks of that front on photo your rig is going to cut through the ocean like a knife to butter. What weight are you expecting on the trailer? How much fuel are you carrying? How much range are you expecting?

cheers

keith

Mick, the reason Keith is asking about the fuel is because he thinks if its not 1000 litres, its not enough!!

Tony

rosco1974
01-03-2014, 06:21 AM
mick been a bit slack this year, cleaned the cat up so too scared to get it dirty again.lol.going to head into the bay today and drop a few pots and I think tomorrow will be ok for a fish offshore

outwide1
01-03-2014, 12:02 PM
G'day Keith, i have been meaning to call you mate. I am home on the 19th of this month mate and i am keen as hell.
We need to talk tonight mate,it just costs me a fortune out here in calls.
I have not heard a single bad thing from all the owners i have spoken too in regards to how Sam's Hulls perform.
It will come in at 3.35t with only half a tank of fuel,I will be filling it completly as we get to the ramp.lol
Fuel wise, i think it is 600-650ltr which will be sufficiant for what i need to do. My good mate Luke Carr is getting 1.1ltr to the km for both his 140hp Suzuki's so mine won't be far off that with the 175hp lean burn Suzuki's. There for i don't believe it is being unrealistic in getting 500km range??
Talk tonight Mick.

outwide1
01-03-2014, 12:06 PM
I hear he is a bit of race car driver Tony.lol
I may need to drop the 175's and go twin 350's to keep up to him,hang on i will just buzz him with the radar and AIS.LOL
Need to find where he is getting all those reds off 1770.
Cheers Mick.

outwide1
01-03-2014, 12:06 PM
Brail maybe???lol

dayoo
01-03-2014, 12:07 PM
Nice Mick. Fuel capacity is important for the size of the boat and motors so I would guess about 600/700lt tank.
Another important point is foam filling before Sam covers the floor.

Cheers
Barry

outwide1
01-03-2014, 12:55 PM
Nice Mick. Fuel capacity is important for the size of the boat and motors so I would guess about 600/700lt tank.
Another important point is foam filling before Sam covers the floor.

Cheers
Barry
Already onto that Barry,650ltr of fuel and i only just brought the point with Sam about the foam,all his hulls are filled as part of the basic package.
I have also looked into sound deadning the inside of the bottom to help even more.

Back In Black
01-03-2014, 01:29 PM
I hear he is a bit of race car driver Tony.lol
I may need to drop the 175's and go twin 350's to keep up to him,hang on i will just buzz him with the radar and AIS.LOL
Need to find where he is getting all those reds off 1770.
Cheers Mick.

Mick,
Bannana is in Hong Kong at the moment.

Tony

outwide1
01-03-2014, 01:34 PM
Mick,
Bannana is in Hong Kong at the moment.

Tony
He can call me then.lol

Back In Black
01-03-2014, 04:10 PM
He can call me then.lol

All the best with that!!

Oog.
22-03-2014, 07:46 AM
Hey Mick, do you have an update and more pics of the build?

Oog.
30-03-2014, 10:14 AM
Mick, PM sent

outwide1
31-03-2014, 01:03 PM
It has been a bit long between updates.
Reason being is there has been a lot of work(welding)that doesn't really justify photos nor looks like a great deal has been achieved.
I flew in last Wednesday and as usual my first stop was the pub to grab a beer to consume whilst going over the boat.
At first glance and even after a bit of examining i came to the conclusion (much to Sams disgust)that it ain't big enough.
I want 10m of boat but simply can't due to towing and storage.

After a few ales and some convincing from my deckie that it will be big enough i settled down a bit.lol
Once i got up in it i realised just how big it was especially noting that my old 625 cruise craft would fit inside it.

I have decided to do away with a passenger seat opting for a lounge that a couple of blokes can sit on and admire the sporting physeak of the captain. It will also be a good bed for me at night whilst anchored off DI with container ships zipping past.
Under that lounge will be a glassed in split ice box as well.
It will a 'L' shape configeration on the left hand side and a single seat with a gas burner on the starboard side.
HAVE A LOOK AT THE 10M AMM PHOTO I HAVE INCLUDED,MY LAYOUT WILL BE A SMALLER VERSION.
There is also a pic of a 9m that he just did,the cab layout is similar but different to how i want ours.

I am now out at site for 4 weeks before i will see the boat again in the flesh.
By then we should be seeing a cabin,this is the part i am hanging for.
All my ideas will come together in this section.
All my GARMIN goodies have arrived finally, at first i was going to run a 7012 12'' gps and 5015 15'' sounder screen.
But luck came my way and i was able to sell my 7012 and chip in a considerable amount to purchase a 7015 15'' GPS screen.
So now it will have x2 15'' screens matching.
Thanks to those following the build so far and there is still a lot to go.

Cheers Mick.

Oog.
31-03-2014, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the update Mick, looking good.

outwide1
01-04-2014, 03:03 PM
Just had some more photo's sent through today of the keel being welded in for the transducer.
The cabin has been started as well, its taking shape now on a daily basis and getting exciting.
Being stuck out at camp for the next 4 weeks is going to be frustrating though.
Enjoy,Mick.

Vitamin Sea
01-04-2014, 04:44 PM
It's going to be a weapon Mick, I bet your itchy..... Look forward to more build photos.

Regards

bannana
01-04-2014, 04:53 PM
Not big enough... Are you kidding!!

Mick it's coming along nicely and I feel your pain. Nothing worst when going through the build process not being close enough for a weekly inspection. I can guarantee you that your boat builders happy your not dropping in every day making changes.. Like just add another meter here and there.lol

looking forward to seeing your dash setup.

I've just finished reconfiguring my boat and installing 2 bench seats with underneath freezers both long enough to double as beds. To do so I removed a bulkhead wall, kitchen, lounge, table and a few other items so its a more practical boat for what I do. I recon its hard to get it right first go so good luck I hope you nail it and get exactly what your after with as few teething problems as possible.

cheers

Moejoes
01-04-2014, 07:32 PM
Hi Mick,
The boats looking good.
I built a similar size platey half cab with twin 175 Suzi's ( Pretty well the same hull shape ).
Has it got 18 degrees dead rise?
I get 1.2ltrs per km loaded in normal conditions & can get it down to 1ltr per km in calm conditions running at 32 knots.
460litres fuel gives me 400kms range.

Keep the pics coming - keen to see the end result.
Thanks.

outwide1
02-04-2014, 07:59 AM
Not big enough... Are you kidding!!

Mick it's coming along nicely and I feel your pain. Nothing worst when going through the build process not being close enough for a weekly inspection. I can guarantee you that your boat builders happy your not dropping in every day making changes.. Like just add another meter here and there.lol

looking forward to seeing your dash setup.

I've just finished reconfiguring my boat and installing 2 bench seats with underneath freezers both long enough to double as beds. To do so I removed a bulkhead wall, kitchen, lounge, table and a few other items so its a more practical boat for what I do. I recon its hard to get it right first go so good luck I hope you nail it and get exactly what your after with as few teething problems as possible.

cheers

Yours is bigger Keith….lol.
I am having to deal with the anixety of wanting to put all the goodies in and then having to deal seeing 5 knot variable conditions and not being able to chase reds.
Those screens and goodies are what i want to see as well, i thinking of putting a carbon fibre facia over the ally then sliding the screens in.
It will just depend on how the dash comes together.
I reckon your right in regards to the builder being happy i am so far away.lol
He wants me there for a week once i finish this project up in a month time,thats after we slap some reds and trout.
I look forward to seeing yours now with the mods mate.

Gday Moejoes, how did you find the 175s pushing the 8m hull?
It is a 18 degree hull, but he was talking about it being variable as it moves forward, i should of listened a little better.
I was a bit worried i was boring people with the build at times.lol

Cheers Mick.

bannana
02-04-2014, 08:15 AM
Na mate keep them coming Mic.

I need to read something when I'm at work bored. Otherwise I have to take the piss out of Back in Black (Beaker)

Back In Black
02-04-2014, 09:22 AM
Na mate keep them coming Mic.

I need to read something when I'm at work bored. Otherwise I have to take the piss out of Back in Black (Beaker)

Oh, come on...............

Moejoes
02-04-2014, 06:55 PM
Hey Mick,
No problem pushing the boat along.
Motors have not been a problem.
Top end speed is 78km's ( 42 knots according to the online calculator ).
Sounds like the exact same hull shape as mine.
I'll send you some pics.
PM me your email.

Moejoes

Secret Spot
03-04-2014, 12:23 PM
Very nice looking boat Mick,look forward to seeing some more pics.

outwide1
11-04-2014, 12:47 PM
Just a quick update on what is starting to look a lot more like a boat.
To say that i am keen to get it home and fit it out is an understatement.
Things are moving along better then i anticipated once the hull came together.
Just to give you an indication of the sheer size of this thing here's a couple of measurements.
From the end of the cab to the rear door it measures 2.4m and to the transom its 3.3m.
The helm area measures 1.8m then there is the cabin which i am unsure of.
We have stepped the helm up 100mm and on the left hand side you will see the daybed/passenger seat starting to take form.
This will double as 2 compartment ice box with a lid and cushion with hydraulic motorised rams that will open electronically by remote.
As for the dash the plate has been temporily had a sheet tacked in for now until i can get the screens to him to build around.
Hope you enjoy.
Mick.

Carry
11-04-2014, 08:51 PM
Big balls,

She is starting to take shape things are progressing well. Looking the goods. It's something you only do once in your life ( if you want to stay married). Spend up and don't regret anything you wish you had added. Watching your thread closely. Cheers

Carry

outwide1
12-04-2014, 09:12 AM
Thanks mate,it certainly has evolved into what was meant to be a simple layout to now what can only be described as huge money pit.
As each door closes another opens,some of the items and ideas will blow you away once it comes together.
My budget has been blown apart,crumbled,burnt with a flame thrower and buried.lol
I am trying to build a semi fishing/ weekend away boat.
Like you say mate,i will only be doing this once.
Cheers Mick.

outwide1
02-05-2014, 09:08 PM
A few more pics of where we are at the moment.
The hull took a long time and since starting on the cab etc you start to finally see a boat forming.
The dash and cockpit layout is the next big thing.
Fingers crossed i will be getting close to picking it up in a month from hot works.
Enjoy Mick.

Jsmfun
02-05-2014, 09:57 PM
Mate she is looking fantastic I bet your wallet is smoking at the rate the $ would be leaving.
but hay what else would you want to spend money on this is the reason you work mate lap it up and enjoy with friends and family. Can't wait to see the suzy's and paint job

Stansy
02-05-2014, 10:54 PM
Starting to take shape mick, it seems like I life time 3 weeks to you see here again hey? At least this trip you had a fish fix. Good to back out on the blue, Looking good mate.
mark

bannana
02-05-2014, 11:04 PM
Yeah good on ya Mick. No wonder your so excited mate.

Im looking forward to seeing that dash layout but I bet not as much as you.

cheers

overdraft
03-05-2014, 06:34 AM
That is starting to look great.

Danny

Apollo
03-05-2014, 07:41 AM
Looking good Mick. That front quarter shot really show her up nicely.

Steve

nathan dumschat
03-05-2014, 09:38 AM
She has beautiful lines Mick. It is going to be a Weapon of Mass Red Destruction LOL. Keep the photos coming. Will turn some heads as you cruise past the beach at Inskip with jealous glares thrown your way im sure . Awesome Stuff.

Nathan

outwide1
03-05-2014, 11:19 AM
Cheers guys for the positive comments.
Excited is an understatement, it looked small at first but it is parked next to a 7m and thats where you truly see its size,net alone when its on the trailer.
The builder nearly fell over when i took the screens to him and it brought forward another challenge for them. There is the dash, drivers seat box,cook top and sink next on the builders list. After that it will be bow rails,hand rails and targa on the roof.
So by the time i get home there should hopefully be only the minor few details i need and that should be it.
Itchy feet as i wait for it to come home for pre fit out and off to the painters.
I will keep you posted until further pictures come through.
Mick.