PDA

View Full Version : Two stroke fuel

gr hilly
25-02-2014, 11:26 PM
G,day all i hope i can get a for sure answer four weeks ago i filled up a new fuel tank for a new motor being the first time i used the motor i have just been told i am going fishing tomorrow i mixed the fuel with twice the normal oil as it is new is it still any good or should i dump it and get new fuel.thanks for your time.
CHEERS Hilly.

gofishin
26-02-2014, 06:44 AM
It will be fine. 4 wks is not old for fuel, and twice the oil:fuel ratio for the first few hrs is normal for 2 strokes.

Check your manual, it will tell you how many hours/tanks to use this strong oil mix.
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robfish 1
26-02-2014, 07:48 AM
Hilly - the only thing you're likely to find is that your motor will be a little smokier. I only get rid of fuel that's been sitting for several months - as it may well have absorbed some water vapour over time, and then recycle it by putting it in my car's tank, as cars are a little more forgiving than outboards! I still occasionally run a stronger mix thru my outboards - even tough they may be several years old - never stopped one of them running yet!
In the old days, my dad used to mix some methylated spirits with the fuel - metho absorbs water, fuel absorbs metho - boat runs without any dramas! Don't know how well that would work with today's engines, however.

jmwarner
26-02-2014, 07:59 AM
If you're worried about the fuel being too rich give it a good shake separate it into 2 tanks and top up with straight fuel. Handy to have a spare fuel tank too;D