PDA

View Full Version : Just a dream - Riptide 7.8m opinions

Pazz01
25-02-2014, 10:34 PM
Hi Guys

There is one of the above for sale at the moment around the corner from my old's and it's on Boatpoint and it looks like an awesome rig. http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=16549263&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=1&eapi=2

Not sure if I would ever be able to afford it, but I am doing a little bit of dreaming.

My concern is that it is a little underdone on the HP side, as it only has a 200hp merc verado. I would be thinking that something this size would be needing a 250 to 300 at a minimum. Has anyone got any ideas of fuel usage for something in this range? Currently we travel around 60-70 NM a trip, and the 6.4 metre haines with a 200hp merc 2 stroke uses between 100-120l of fuel. So any feedback would be sweet.

Also it says it has a beam of 2.7m, which I believe is not legal here in QLD am I correct?

Cheers
Pazz

ranga7
26-02-2014, 06:18 AM
Agree that its light on in the hp, a mate had a riptide 7.5 with twin 140 which run good but said he'd like twin 175 or 200. I think $105,000 this bloke is dreaming. Depending on hrs, that motor being 8 yrs old would only be worth around $6k

ozynorts
26-02-2014, 08:52 AM
Also it says it has a beam of 2.7m, which I believe is not legal here in QLD am I correct?

Cheers
Pazz

Anything over 2.5m and under 2.9m needs to have over width signage etc.

Nicko_Cairns
26-02-2014, 12:39 PM
Says on the Ad it cruises at 18 knots so not a fast boat Paz, maybe he's dreaming a bit about the price? Still if you get it I'm happy to come along and let you know what I think 😉

Pazz01
26-02-2014, 01:00 PM
Says on the Ad it cruises at 18 knots so not a fast boat Paz, maybe he's dreaming a bit about the price? Still if you get it I'm happy to come along and let you know what I think 

Hey Nicko,
I am merely dreaming. It did catch my eye, but if I wanted something to do that speed I would be thinking a turbo diesel inboard would be the way to go and probably more efficient on fuel than the outboard.

I like the fishing room etc in it, looks like a well made boat (even though I know nothing about alloy ones).

If I win the lotto this weekend I'll buy it and upgrade the motor and ask you out nicko. Fingers crossed.

Pazz

goona
26-02-2014, 02:26 PM
Definately a bit light on in the HP range. My 7.4 has a 225 Honda which is just about right most of the time but in flat seas I wish I had more and when we go camping. Might bee able to get a little more speed if you cut those tie down things off the bottom of the hull. Never seen that before. No trim tabs either which is a bit odd for a boat of this size.

deckie
26-02-2014, 03:04 PM
My mum always said...if u cant say anything nice dont say anything at all.
Dammit i already said something tho.

Sorry pazz, i know everyone's taste is different but i just cant see what is droolworthy about it. Looks way underpowered, possibly not roadworthy, and to be honest its finished like it was ordered as a support boat for an old gulf country prawn trawler.

Everyone has their taste i suppose.
For that kind of money couldn't you get a real boat made out of actual fibreglass ;D :P
Steve

bigjimg
26-02-2014, 08:12 PM
its finished like it was ordered as a support boat for an old gulf country prawn trawler.
Yeah it may be lacking paint but for me that is a no nonsense fishing boat. No pretence just built for work. Would look good with a couple of 150's hung on the back that is for sure. Even still this rig would blast through the Old Gulf Prawn Trawler in a shower of splinters and prawn and you wouldn't look back. Bullet Proof built. Jim

Pazz01
26-02-2014, 08:39 PM
As mentioned in my post I know nothing about the platey's. My old man has a 6.4m haines which has been a great boat, very affordable and we've caught a heap of fish in it. But our family is growing now with my brother and I both having kids now we are thinking something a little bit bigger so we can fit all the family in comfortably. Hence the reason we are having a think of upgrading. I've never been in a platey so I've got no idea on the ride in comparison to a glass boat of a similar size.

First and obvious thought that going bigger doesn't mean you will catch more fish and I would guess that the cost of a trip would significantly increase. So these are some major factors.

After reading some of the builds etc on this website and others regarding Riptide's they seem to have a pretty good name. It may not look much but with a vinyl wrap or a paint job cosmetically it would look pretty good.

But all things considered I think that it is underpowered IMHO, and I could never buy it and then looks to upgrade to a bigger outboard for the cost.

Pazz

bigjimg
26-02-2014, 08:58 PM
For the money she is pretty close to the mark for a built boat. Trade the 200 in for twin 150's and your most likely in the mid to high 140's. Which is what this boat would have cost new, BUT without the ally trailer under it so that is basically a freebee, the better part of 15k. Knocked back to a neat $100 000 and probably worth it. Jim

The Mad Cat
27-02-2014, 06:09 AM
Hey Pazz,
It would be interesting to compare the Riptide with this boat, fair price difference, not sure about build quality on either though as I have never seen any of their work. On paper and bang for buck the Mission Magic look pretty good. http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/gordonvale/motorboats-powerboats/mission-magic/1037770304

TMC

outwide1
28-02-2014, 12:34 PM
Hey Pazz,
It would be interesting to compare the Riptide with this boat, fair price difference, not sure about build quality on either though as I have never seen any of their work. On paper and bang for buck the Mission Magic look pretty good. http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/gordonvale/motorboats-powerboats/mission-magic/1037770304

TMC
Thats one dam ugly boat.

outwide1
28-02-2014, 12:51 PM
Agree that its light on in the hp, a mate had a riptide 7.5 with twin 140 which run good but said he'd like twin 175 or 200. I think $105,000 this bloke is dreaming. Depending on hrs, that motor being 8 yrs old would only be worth around $6k

I don't think its to bad considering your up for $60000 for a bare boat and ally trailer,add another $450000 for 2 motors(i know it only has one).
So theres $105000 for just a boat,trailer,and 2 motors.
Take from me its all the other bits that start costing you a fortune.
$20000 for electronics,then you have trim it,windows,paint,pumps,and all the fiddly bits that are at the moment costing me a million.
Cheers Mick.

Volvo
28-02-2014, 02:15 PM
Make him an off $90K, tis a tad underpowered at that and stick a Big Honda on the back:), Trim tabs, etc and you have there a nice rig..shame it werent painted:)...

Pazz01
28-02-2014, 03:06 PM
I think it is out of my price range really where it sits at the moment. I certainly don't have enough coin to be looking at buying it then upgrading the motor to something bigger. If it had everything and I didn't have to spend a cent I might have been a lot more interested. But then again if it did have everything he would probably want $130k for it.

No decision is better than the wrong decision. I'll just keep waiting and dreaming. Fingers crossed for that lotto win to make the decisions all that much easier.

Pazz

Volvo
28-02-2014, 07:09 PM
Go buy that lotto whilst your dream is still alive:)..Ya never know ey??.