PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy my first 6-6.5 mtr plate boat

whereswoody
24-02-2014, 07:12 PM
Hey all very new to anything over 4.2, wanting to step into 6-6.5 plate to head out to reef in comfortably. Am in FNQ so any suggestions for this area as a preference??

Cheers

Woody

Camhawk88
24-02-2014, 07:41 PM
Glass......

Spiderpig
24-02-2014, 07:57 PM
my first 6m plus boat as a platey, x2 for glass.

Volvo
24-02-2014, 08:30 PM
Sigh :(,n here I was gunna suggest plate only :). Also if I was to have my turn over again I would go for hardtop, halfe cab or thereabouts..

Lucky_Phill
24-02-2014, 09:18 PM
Woody,

There various makes and models to choose from.

Probably good to set your budget first up.

New or second hand ?

Cab........ centre cab......... ?

Power to weight ratios are good for platey's with a 6mtr getting by with 130hp and a 6.5 .....150 -175hp.

I would look at designs with a high raking bow, big reverse chines and 6mm hull.

Many brands come to mind and the Cairns Custom Craft are built up north so should be looked at first up.

AMM, Riptide, Origin, and others also spring to mind. Certainly the Stabicraft do well in your waters.

more info here:- http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?140652-Which-New-Plate-Aluminium-Boat

cheers LP

Chris Tucker
25-02-2014, 03:09 PM
Hammerhead 6100 dragonfly.

Built in Townsville so ticks you FNQ box.

whereswoody
25-02-2014, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the replys all, Glass.... not real keen as i want to be able to lay her on her guts at any and every island beach etc. Have just spoken to Dave at Riptide about a build so funds aren't too bad.

I would look at designs with a high raking bow, big reverse chines and 6mm hull.

Please enlighten me more, new to bigger boats. Thinking 6.5, cuddy cab, 4 stroke?? old debate i know. Also any thoughts on what you would add to a boat that you think is missed in a lot???

Thanks

Woody

ozynorts
25-02-2014, 07:23 PM
www.originboats.com.au/boats/evolution-series/
Had a chance to look over one of the 7700's and they are a nice boat.

ozynorts
25-02-2014, 07:28 PM
Another one to add to the list is the Surtees. Very nice boats. http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/results.aspx?base=604%20896&vertical=Boat&eapi=2&N=606%204294880976%201586%201587+1599%201588%200+4 294879326&silo=Stock&Range=Price:Min,Max&sort=default
This is their dealer up your way. http://www.hondamarineandwatercraft.com.au/

MattM84
25-02-2014, 07:32 PM
Agree the origin are a nice boat, have been out to the reef from the whitsundays in a 6100 origin center console a few times now, has a saltwater series 2 stroke 150 yammy fitted which pushes it along quite nicely, ride nice and is quite dry for a center console. I'd opt for a cuddy/ half cab in a boat that size though as each time we had 3 or 4 in the boat and all fished out of the rear anyway with all that nice open front going to waste, atleast with a half cab it offers plenty of dry storage and also protection from the element should the weather turn to crap which it can do quite quickly in the tropics or a little bit more comfort for overnight trips.

PB
25-02-2014, 08:23 PM
Hammerhead 6100 dragonfly.

Built in Townsville so ticks you FNQ box.

X2 for the HammerHead. Awesome boat and a great bloke to deal with. Check out that Stepped Hull.

Volvo
25-02-2014, 08:50 PM
How much funds do you have available??:)..
Motorwise, doubt you would have problems with any of the follwing 4 strokes.
Honda Yami, Suzi . Ive just had a Honda 150 fitted to my 6 mtr platey and more than happy with it although it may be early days yet im stoked with its oerformane n fuel economy.
Trim tabs i doubt you will ever regret fitting.
Fresh water storage along withhosedown facillity.
LED lighting allround.
Carpeted for cold winter nights.
Electronics???, dont spare the $$.
Trailer as well as anchor winch ???, how fit are you??.
And offcourse others will add to this.

ranga7
26-02-2014, 06:35 AM
Riptide 6.5m with with max hp in suzuki. I have a 6m cuddy and love it because it gives me the most fishing space. A half cab on a 6m boat with toilets and showers and all that stuff leaves bugger all fishing room. It depends on what you like, each to there own. I go to sea to fish not to cook meals and have showers so the cuddy suits me.

Bull
26-02-2014, 06:53 AM
MadMakeral has a Bar crusher for sale. I would say it would tick all your boxes

MEG-A-BITE
26-02-2014, 08:13 AM
MadMakeral has a Bar crusher for sale. I would say it would tick all your boxes
And would say its been very well looked after.So you will be getting a good rig.

Matt_F
27-02-2014, 01:03 PM
Don’t be put off plate boats in FNQ, they ride just as well as glass provided the hull has a similar design. With sufficient deadrise and the correct beam to length ratio - it will ride well. I have first hand experience in in a 7.5m Origin in those waters and they ride very well.
If funds allow a custom build, I’d suggest approaching Marcel at Cairns Custom Craft. He has a wealth of experience, although he may try and talk you into a game boat with a soft top (he loves them). I’d stick to a hard top with glass windows (just my preference). There may be some you can ride in before you go into the design and build. There is a 6.5 for sale near Townsville on boatsales. Good luck.

troutnabout
17-07-2014, 09:30 AM
Hi guys am new to ausfish (thanks for the add) but like woody in the next year or so am looking to upgrade my old 5m trailcraft to a 6-6.5 metre plate boat. Being from vic does anyone know any plate builders down this way that they recommend? I'm looking for a cabin or cuddy boat that I can do overnight stays and that is easily enough to handle by 1 to 2 people has the usual fishing accessories (bait tank, outrigger mounts, deckwash, transom door, solid bait board, trim tabs, four stroke motor, good fuel storage, freshwater storage) I could do a general production boat and for the most part they would do my job fishing wise but I'm 6 foot 5 and finding a cabin big enough to sleep in comfortably is one issue and also another major hurdle I have is garage door is only 2.5m roller. Does any one make folding cuddies or tops that could simply be folded away like a targa top when shedding boat in winter months?
Have looked at the origin boats online and they do look good.

ozynorts
17-07-2014, 09:56 AM
Have you looked at the Yellowfin boats? I know they are not a custom platey and they come from Telwater but they have a heap of stuff as standard.
http://www.yellowfinboats.com.au/7400C.asp
This is a review for this model. Don't mind the different "size" on the review and first link. They changed their sizes after they were released to make them sound bigger. These are both the same boat.
http://www.trailerboat.com.au/reviews/trailer-boats/0912/test-yellowfin-6700-cabin/
Another review that mentions the size of the cabins.
http://www.redbook.com.au/boat-news/2011/cuddy---half-cabin/yellowfin/6700-cabin/yellowfin-for-serious-offshore-fishing-23568

myusernam
17-07-2014, 04:26 PM
Don’t be put off plate boats in FNQ, they ride just as well as glass provided the hull has a similar design. With sufficient deadrise and the correct beam to length ratio - it will ride well. I have first hand experience in in a 7.5m Origin in those waters and they ride very well.
If funds allow a custom build, I’d suggest approaching Marcel at Cairns Custom Craft. He has a wealth of experience, although he may try and talk you into a game boat with a soft top (he loves them). I’d stick to a hard top with glass windows (just my preference). There may be some you can ride in before you go into the design and build. There is a 6.5 for sale near Townsville on boatsales. Good luck.

well thats about the problem. origin and very few others make them with a decent v. Most of them have shallow deadrise, wide beam full shoulders and ride like shxt.
and they all seem to crack.
someone mentioned hammerhead. the 5.7 has 16 degrees. the sub 5m are probably 12 degrees.

KingyKing
17-07-2014, 06:42 PM
Have a look at Pelagic Boats http://www.phapelagic.com.au/

Noelm
17-07-2014, 06:51 PM
Have you looked at the Yellowfin boats? I know they are not a custom platey and they come from Telwater but they have a heap of stuff as standard.
http://www.yellowfinboats.com.au/7400C.asp
This is a review for this model. Don't mind the different "size" on the review and first link. They changed their sizes after they were released to make them sound bigger. These are both the same boat.
http://www.trailerboat.com.au/reviews/trailer-boats/0912/test-yellowfin-6700-cabin/
Another review that mentions the size of the cabins.
http://www.redbook.com.au/boat-news/2011/cuddy---half-cabin/yellowfin/6700-cabin/yellowfin-for-serious-offshore-fishing-23568
The new Stacer hardtop is a ripper, leaves the Yellowfin for dead, had a good look at hem recently, might be worth a short holiday to Sydney for he boat show late this month.

MyWay
17-07-2014, 08:28 PM
this are really good and there is dealers here

http://www.mclayboats.co.nz

troutnabout
18-07-2014, 09:52 AM
The new Stacer hardtop is a ripper, leaves the Yellowfin for dead, had a good look at hem recently, might be worth a short holiday to Sydney for he boat show late this month.

Looked at the stacer ocean ranger and the quintrex trident at the Melbourne boat show and both have some good points. but also have some I don't like. The stacer does have a good cabin size and good wide gunnels with some sure grip surface to walk around the cabin and good hand railing unlike the quintrex which is small in the cabin and gunnels unless you get the 690. The thing I didn;t like about the new stacers is instead of being self draining through scuppers they drain to a sump n the rear of the hull and is then pumped out by a bilge pump. Don't know about the method of production of both these two boats as to earlier discussions in another thread about true plate boat construction but as mentioned the stacer is of reasonal form but if I could afford I think I'd still go custom however I haven't ridden in either of the telwater boats.

Noelm
18-07-2014, 10:12 AM
Jump on a plane and come down here, my local Stacer dealer is having an "on water day" just after the Sydney Boat show, and they have a hard top there to demo, along with a heap of other stuff of course.

Chris Tucker
18-07-2014, 12:40 PM
Hi guys am new to ausfish (thanks for the add) but like woody in the next year or so am looking to upgrade my old 5m trailcraft to a 6-6.5 metre plate boat. Being from vic does anyone know any plate builders down this way that they recommend? I'm looking for a cabin or cuddy boat that I can do overnight stays and that is easily enough to handle by 1 to 2 people has the usual fishing accessories (bait tank, outrigger mounts, deckwash, transom door, solid bait board, trim tabs, four stroke motor, good fuel storage, freshwater storage) I could do a general production boat and for the most part they would do my job fishing wise but I'm 6 foot 5 and finding a cabin big enough to sleep in comfortably is one issue and also another major hurdle I have is garage door is only 2.5m roller. Does any one make folding cuddies or tops that could simply be folded away like a targa top when shedding boat in winter months?
Have looked at the origin boats online and they do look good.

Someone above suggested Pelagic boats. Coincidently I've just been doings this 6m to a similar brief for them 104373. The main issue with any hardtop under 6.5m is going to be getting the bunk length you're after, but the pelagic 6.5m would do it. Dan's website is a long way out of date but he keeps facebook (https://www.facebook.com/phamarine.pelagicboats) up to date.

Chris Tucker.

ozynorts
18-07-2014, 01:03 PM

Someone above suggested Pelagic boats. Coincidently I've just been doings this 6m to a similar brief for them 104373. The main issue with any hardtop under 6.5m is going to be getting the bunk length you're after, but the pelagic 6.5m would do it. Dan's website is a long way out of date but he keeps facebook (https://www.facebook.com/phamarine.pelagicboats) up to date.

Chris Tucker.

Does any one make folding cuddies or tops that could simply be folded away like a targa top when shedding boat in winter months?

Don't think a hard top boat is going to meet the trout's requirements.......

Chris Tucker
18-07-2014, 01:09 PM
hammerhead. the 5.7 has 16 degrees. the sub 5m are probably 12 degrees.

Hammerhead have two ranges. The fireflies are creek and river boats and have a low 12 degree deadrise. We are about to design a new hull for the Fireflies with a delta plane to let them operate in even shallower water without loosing deadrise. The 4.6 and 4.8m March flies and 5.3m+ Dragon flies are coastal/offshore boats and all have higher deadrises like the 5.7m. The stepped hulls on the 6.1m and above give an amazingly soft ride.

Chris Tucker
18-07-2014, 01:13 PM

That's the advantage of using bespoke builders like Pelagic. Everything can be changed until its the right boat for the client and it is done from the keel up so performance doesn't suffer. (Disclaimer: it also keeps me employed making the design changes for them)

Noelm
18-07-2014, 01:37 PM

hhmm, you might be right, must have had a "moment" and thought I read he wanted a hard top.

KingyKing
18-07-2014, 01:56 PM
hhmm, you might be right, must have had a "moment" and thought I read he wanted a hard top.

You could be right with the hardtop it will be a little hard to get it under his 2.5m roller door, but at least with Pelagic and some of the other well known custom builders you can get custom work done, that boat is probably already available with a folding Bimini top.

Noelm
18-07-2014, 03:02 PM
Yes it is, the "old" model is a standard cabin and folding rocket launcher setup.

Chris Tucker
18-07-2014, 03:42 PM
Have to admit I picked up on Noelm's Hardtop comment and ran with it.

KingyKing
18-07-2014, 04:00 PM
Just had a look on there FB page and they have a nice 6.6m with an open hard top, fit a folding rocket launcher and bimini top and your set. https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/t1.0-9/1380456_558269007577721_1981793742_n.jpg

ozynorts
18-07-2014, 04:45 PM
Just had a look on there FB page and they have a nice 6.6m with an open hard top, fit a folding rocket launcher and bimini top and your set. https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/t1.0-9/1380456_558269007577721_1981793742_n.jpg
The hard top would have to be folding. The boat has to fit under a 2.5m roller door on the trailer.

Chris Tucker
18-07-2014, 04:53 PM
I forgot to mention since the thread has diverted to a Victorian builder discussion, Richardson Marine are about to launch a new 6.3m Seacruiser (http://richardsonmarine.com.au/for-sale/seacruiser/) (104374). Still won't get through a 2.5m high door but worth considering.

troutnabout
18-07-2014, 06:33 PM
Yes the 2.5 m door is of serious discomfort to me but if the needs be a bigger shed it will be lol. I am away for the weekend but I'll have a look at the above mentioned boats. I don't mind the stacer either who ever mentioned it but scuppers are a sure thing when things go shit, is a bilge maybe! What's others thoughts on that? I certainly like the hard tops and for overnight stuff they're probably better but back to shed saga lol

KingyKing
18-07-2014, 08:41 PM
The hard top would have to be folding. The boat has to fit under a 2.5m roller door on the trailer.

Pretty sure I said fit a folding rocket launcher with bimini top and your set.

ozynorts
18-07-2014, 08:53 PM
Yep remove the hard top and go a bimini, nice.

troutnabout
18-07-2014, 10:14 PM
Another thing I'd like is a lockable cabin for trips away to stow gear away from opportunistic individuals!

bigjudge
19-07-2014, 07:13 AM
Mate,my first boat was a6m stessle 6mm plate good boat,then I owned a 6m maxi fisher centre cab great sea boat,I would strongly suggest you have a good talk to Col at origin boats as the workmanship on my fisher was excellent, Just make sure which everway you go put on the max horsepower you can.I now own a 24ft glass and luv it,Good luck which everyou decide.
CHEERS AND BEERS

Muzza
19-07-2014, 10:13 AM
G'day,
My mate has a 5m something AMM platey he had custom made with fold down canaopy/rocket launchers etc with swing away drawbar trailer made to fit his shed. Running a 115 opti and is up for sale, about 2 years old with all bells and whistles.
I have told him about this site so he may put an add up at some stage here. NSW boat, had it shipped down.
Bit short from what you are looking for, but let me know if you want more details and I can try and find out
Cheers
Muz