PDA

View Full Version : Gel coat repairs

Jsmfun
23-02-2014, 07:59 PM
Is there such a thing as mobile gel coat repairer as I f?;)&/ked the new boat in one of those dumb arse brain snaps very pissed at myself

Darren Mc
23-02-2014, 08:59 PM
Oh no... What'd ya do??

bigjimg
23-02-2014, 09:08 PM
That's no good mate. I don't know of any mobile guy's but if you are prepared to travel, Arnold's Fibreglass Repairs at Hemmant.
They will not let your boat go out of the workshop unless it's perfect. Jim

Jsmfun
23-02-2014, 09:39 PM
Oh no... What'd ya do??

So I couldn't sleep as a bit excited about going fishing new toy and all .
Down the boat ramp 3.30am no one there thank goodness ( to witness ) did all my checks reverse down the ramp unhitched safety and could not move the boat.
(awe shit) the straps at the back drove out of the water (I'm sure u can see where this is going) un did safety straps jumped back in the ute started reversing back and went oh f")?(;,$&k and it did not quite make the depth needed for the angle it came of the trailer bloody rookie mistake .

So now I have a hand size gel coat missing from the transom right at the very bottom can easily see fibreglass think I may have even take a layer of that with it .

Very very annoyed

Jsmfun
23-02-2014, 09:40 PM
Thanks jim ill look them up

Darren Mc
23-02-2014, 10:10 PM
Oh crap mate, hopefully that's all the bad luck out the way now and it'll be smooth sailing from here on. I can fully understand how it happened, early morning, nervous and exited at the same time. Things can get missed easily. I reckon your lucky you got to the water at all, could have been a lot worse hey. I damaged my brand new boat years ago and I was pissed about it too.
Try not to stress to much over it, it's done now.
All the best with it.

Jsmfun
23-02-2014, 10:16 PM
Cheers mate had a cracking day fishing after that 9kg Spanish ,2 ,5kg mac tuna 8-80-95cm spotties and a 48cm snap good day on my own helped ease the pain lol

bigjimg
24-02-2014, 08:09 PM
So now I have a hand size gel coat missing from the transom right at the very bottom can easily see fibreglass think I may have even take a layer of that with it .

If you speak with Arnold tell him Jim from Port of Brisbane recommended him. While I do not know him personally, only from the guys at work that do, he will look after your boat like it is his own. My girl is there at the moment and he will not let me have it;) as he is not happy with the gel coat colour. He takes enormous pride in work done at his shop.
Incidentally I am having some mystery damage fixed to the chine and strake and some floor work done, no penetrations in my floor now at all = no rot. Jim

copie
24-02-2014, 08:56 PM
Jsmfun I have used Arnolds several times myself they do an excellent job and a really good bunch of blokes.

Mark

Jsmfun
24-02-2014, 09:30 PM
Thanks guy's it's good to see a good job gets recognised and referred will definitely give them a call

Still_Dreamin
24-02-2014, 09:39 PM
Jsmfun go straight to Arnold fiberglass. Just fixed my 1750 tournament. Awesome job looks like new. Was going to cost a grand so he suggested using my insurance. Club marine were happy to sign off without sighting the vessel .

Jsmfun
25-02-2014, 07:49 AM
Jsmfun go straight to Arnold fiberglass. Just fixed my 1750 tournament. Awesome job looks like new. Was going to cost a grand so he suggested using my insurance. Club marine were happy to sign off without sighting the vessel .

i just started with club marine i bet they are going to be happy

Still_Dreamin
25-02-2014, 02:32 PM
I reckon that is when most damage is done. The boat is new to you, you don't have a routine yet and the excitement and early morning cloud your judgement.
I checked all around my boat twice, everything up and secured. Ok time to pull boat out of shed . What is that crunching noise. Sh*t I forgot to lower the bimini. Look up and live! Cracked my windscreen, gouged my gel coat and put some big dents in the roller door. Lesson learnt.

pnp005
25-02-2014, 04:46 PM
Hi...how did that affect your premiums if you don't mind me asking, as I need to get some gelcoat repairs done also.
cheers

Jsmfun
25-02-2014, 09:01 PM
I reckon that is when most damage is done. The boat is new to you, you don't have a routine yet and the excitement and early morning cloud your judgement.
I checked all around my boat twice, everything up and secured. Ok time to pull boat out of shed . What is that crunching noise. Sh*t I forgot to lower the bimini. Look up and live! Cracked my windscreen, gouged my gel coat and put some big dents in the roller door. Lesson learnt.
Sounds like you said the same choice words I did . Yes we learn very quick after something silly has been done

Jsmfun
25-02-2014, 09:04 PM
Hi...how did that affect your premiums if you don't mind me asking, as I need to get some gelcoat repairs done also.
cheers
I did a $3000 dollar insurance job on the last boat and my premium only went up $7 a week for 1 year