PDA

View Full Version : BCF Rant

airlock
23-02-2014, 05:00 PM
What a bunch of Bastards! picked replaced the trailer hitch on my sail boat trailer, simple swap to another 50mm unit. picked up an arc model from bcf in noosa, no worries fitted it then got back to sorting out the rigging and other scars left by my farther inlaw. Any way ive just gone to hitch it up to the car and i cant get the thing on, no amount of fiddling, forcing or swearing will get the new 50mm coupling to fit the 50mm tow ball. so i get the measuring tape out, its 45mm, witch as far as i know is not a size used by anyone and even if it was it would require 45mm not 50mm stamped on the product. so my afternoon sail is up to spout, bugger but hey i can just go back and swap it over and head out late tomorrow arvo when i get back.....no i bought it from BC god dam F!!!!

Called em up, have you got the receipt...um no :-? guess i wasn't expecting to have to return it, cant think of much that goes wrong with em but hey my bad anyway, but its ok i'm a club member so no worries just whip up the purchase on screen there it is. But that doesnt actually mean i can return it apparently, still need the receipt as proof of purchase so they can send it back to arc and tell em they did a shit job.

Now i know i'm a bit naive not keeping the receipt but i would still expect some attempt at customer service, spent a fiar bit of money with them the last few moths and they couldn't give two craps. So from this point they wont be getting one soiled penny from me.

littlejim
23-02-2014, 05:17 PM
That's pretty crummy. I would keep going higher in the organisation with your complaint there must be somebody there who can see that having you happy instead of badmouthing them is the better option.
In my early days of boat trailer owning I soon learnt that nothing is standardised. The towing hitch was one of the learns. With mine the size was OK (but of course there were two tow ball sizes) - on mine the position of the bolt holes meant it fouled the the tow bar mount before it reach the tow ball. I was able to return mine but had to go through the box with a template of my tow bar hole positions to get one that would fit. Found the same with roller axles. When I got enough with the right length for the split pin holes to clear the sides of the mounts after ratting through the selection (the distances varied), I fitted them and found one had a smaller split pin hole# at one end. Most of them had dags of zinc sticking up from the galvanising that chewed out the rollers over time.
(Later made my own from stainless steel rod.)
If you come from a game where things are standardised it gets up your nose a bit.
# I drilled it out to the correct size.

airlock
23-02-2014, 05:28 PM
i know i should just chase it up and after a big song and dance the likleyhood is it will get resolved. but I'm just over having to fight for every scrap of decency with these large business. Maybe i'll have another go tomorrow when i'm in a better mood

sharkymark2
23-02-2014, 05:32 PM
I hope you paid by credit card as that is all you will need to prove purchase. Never pay cash always credit card. If you have a platinum card most banks give you an extra 1 year electrical warranty on electrical purchases.

airlock
23-02-2014, 05:46 PM
Yeah i would have, i guess i can just track down the bank statement, shouldn't be too hard. i'll get onto it.

nathank
23-02-2014, 06:27 PM
They sold me a dud battery but i had to go and get it tested and a report done blah blah blah.. they don't take an ounce of responsibility for anything they stock There is one around the corner from me and i only go there because the staff are pretty good, im just carefull as to what i buy

bowds13
23-02-2014, 07:28 PM
Oh don't get me started on those jokers. The 2 stores local to
me have the worst customer service iv ever seen. Then I had a blue with the manager at one of them after my vhf I had bought 2 days earlier didn't work straight out the box and even though it was covered by GME's warranty it was just a "hassle" for them to send it back and get it replaced. Guess the days of keeping the customer happy are long gone.

what gets me is there never seems to be an improvement in the stores!

dayoo
23-02-2014, 07:57 PM
They couldn't give a s#+t. They also stock imported sinkers that are two sizes smaller than the Australian standard.
See my separate thread on sinker sizes.

Cheers
Barry

gr hilly
23-02-2014, 08:30 PM
They sold me a air bed with a whole in it i didn't keep the docket they would not give me a refund so i went to another store and bought the same air bed and kept the docket the next day i returned the bad one with the docket.

cheers Hilly

FisHard
23-02-2014, 08:35 PM
They sold me a air bed with a whole in it i didn't keep the docket they would not give me a refund so i went to another store and bought the same air bed and kept the docket the next day i returned the bad one with the dock cheers Hilly
Love your style, very clever!

SandStorm
23-02-2014, 09:44 PM
I used the BCF in Gosford I wasn't impressed tbh....

airlock
23-02-2014, 10:05 PM
i guess i'm just annoyed because i bought my new light gear there and most of the bits to sort out my old cat, probably well over $400 in all. and they can't even be bothered to put in the effort to exchange a faulty item. I know i haven't got a receipt but there was just no effort made. o well theres 2 good small fishing shops and a great little boating shop around noosa that i know of and i think they will be much happier with my return business.

Noelm
24-02-2014, 05:05 AM
Post removed, too negative!

Scalem
24-02-2014, 05:41 AM
Post removed, too negative!

Good on you for having a re think.

its the same ol same ol, human nature will remember the negative, as I am also guilty and kick a dog when he is down rather than comment on all the good and positive experiences had over time. Just saying..... But to the original poster I would chase this a bit higher. I did a few years ago on a separate issue over their gulp soft plastics stocks ( they keep over selling rather than admitting they can't come up with a stock inventory system that will also involve suppliers who seem to under deliver majority of times)

i was was thanked for my input and was sent a small reward gesture as a result. All up the guys at my local store have been very helpful over the years and I would be lost without the convenience of having them there.

Scalem

Triple
24-02-2014, 07:43 AM
I much as I dislike bcf aswell, you do realise that nearly every store these days has a NO receipt NO refund/exchange policy.. Even your local bait tackle shop unless they get to know you by name. Credit card charge printout or charge number or as hilly stated go measure another one that's 50 and buy it, KEEP the receipt and return the 45mm for a refund. It is frustrating that they have the purchase listed if you are a member but won't use that data.

Will add that receipts now fade within a month on two so if it's an expensive purchase photocopy it before its unreadable.

brett62
24-02-2014, 08:17 AM
I too avoid BCF whenever possible. I have a small tackle shop just down the road from me and their prices are the same if not better than BCF. Good service and never have a problem of exchanging goods if I change my mind. Real advice from people who spend their days off fishing.

When it come to trailer parts we also have a small trailer shop not far and same deal there also, can't do enough for you. Just in the process of building a trailer for 7m boat and buying the parts from these people. Matched any price from internet and got some good advice for free.

I try and stay away from the big shops.

Dignity
24-02-2014, 10:40 AM
Airlock, sorry to hear you are having problems, I would also be sending some feedback to the manufacturer if you can find out who it is, the local BCF staff here have gotten to know me but as you say I don't think their systems are that savvy to work out what and where you purchased something. I have learnt to keep my receipts as only recently I bought a whole heap of pop up sprinklers from a major hardware and they were useless, being real cheap I could have thrown them away but fortunately had the receipt and got my money back and purchased other items in lieu.

I know it doesn't help with your issue which is a genuine case but if the major retailers implemented a no receipt/no refund policy people would get used to it, as it is there is a whole heap of scams going on that eventually cost us as consumers a lot more than it should, my wife worked in the retail industry and the stories she used to tell me were simply astounding.

bazza65
24-02-2014, 11:03 AM
You would have to be careful buying another tow ball hitch and returning the other one for refund.
I think a shop is only obligated to replace goods if they are faulty, not to replace or refund if you change your mind.
I had a case with a HUGE hardware store who sold me an air conditioner that had been sold, installed and broken down.
It had been repaired and put back in the box for resale, the problem was they left all the paperwork for the repairs in the box.
I got it home opened the box to find the repair details . I took it back to the shop and raised merry hell asking for a refund.
All they were prepared to do was relace the unit . I raved and ranted until they refunded my money and I went to an electrical store and bought one.

Cheech
24-02-2014, 11:27 AM
I needed to return an item last year and no receipt. I just did a print screen of my credit card history that showed the purchase, and no problems getting the refund.

Hossfish
24-02-2014, 03:07 PM
Hi Guys.

Hope this is not to far off topic, but with regard to reciept longevity if i spend over twenty dollars on anything i scan the reciept into a folder on my computer and then i can print out if required.

This has save my bacon on several occasions when i have misplaced reciepts of they have faded badly.

Safe boating to all.

Cheers Greg

Lancair
24-02-2014, 03:22 PM
With regard to giving ones business to a local shop NOT part of any large chain of stores, I'm all for that.
I buy all my rods/reels and most of my lures/hooks etc locally, BUT I don't ask them to meet internet prices. To me that's not right if you want to support the local stores with knowledgeable staff. Ill ask if they can do better than their ticketed price but I never expect or ask for internet sourced el- cheapo prices! Sure I pay more in the long run but they know me by name, what bait or lures I use etc and I get let in on fishing info a tourist wont get.

Support your local shop but don't screw him on prices at the same time. They have families to feed too!

Rodman
24-02-2014, 03:34 PM
I wonder if the owners or executives ever read this Webb site. They would soon get an idea. They obviously do not give customers service training or if they do then management of each store are not enforcing it.

NArmstrong
24-02-2014, 04:35 PM
I have to say my local bcf store (Riverlink, ipswich) Is great. Never hada. Prob returning any item for money back, the guys that work there offer great advice and have talked me out of purchases cause they felt I didn't need it! The 2 guys that work the fishing section have plenty of experience and talked me out of a downriver ($180) cause they felt I didn't need it.

And they are cheaper than a local store I have looked at. Maybe I am just lucky with my store?

bluefin59
24-02-2014, 05:25 PM
I went to the virginia store recently and swapped a pair of Berkeley shorts I got for my birthday that where a little big and I didn't have a receipt but no problem ,they have there days I guess...Matt

copie
24-02-2014, 08:36 PM
Hi Guys.

Hope this is not to far off topic, but with regard to reciept longevity if i spend over twenty dollars on anything i scan the reciept into a folder on my computer and then i can print out if required.

This has save my bacon on several occasions when i have misplaced reciepts of they have faded badly.

Safe boating to all.

Cheers Greg
Greg what a great idea thanks.
Mark

aussie9
24-02-2014, 09:28 PM
Guys. I work at a Hardware store and our policy is I refund or replace any item you bring back. No receipts are necessary and if it is a warranty claim our point of sale system allows us to search for the item and reprint a docket for up to 5 years ago.

We have replaces items that haven't been bought at our store with no questions asked It's not worth arguing with customers. Better to make someone happy with their shopping experience and the will return the favour with more purchasing
Btw. b@F can search for any purchase docket on their sales system as well. They chose not to!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SunnyCoastMark
24-02-2014, 09:54 PM
What a bunch of Bastards! picked replaced the trailer hitch on my sail boat trailer, simple swap to another 50mm unit. picked up an arc model from bcf in noosa, no worries fitted it then got back to sorting out the rigging and other scars left by my farther inlaw. Any way ive just gone to hitch it up to the car and i cant get the thing on, no amount of fiddling, forcing or swearing will get the new 50mm coupling to fit the 50mm tow ball. so i get the measuring tape out, its 45mm, witch as far as i know is not a size used by anyone and even if it was it would require 45mm not 50mm stamped on the product. so my afternoon sail is up to spout, bugger but hey i can just go back and swap it over and head out late tomorrow arvo when i get back.....no i bought it from BC god dam F!!!!

Called em up, have you got the receipt...um no :-? guess i wasn't expecting to have to return it, cant think of much that goes wrong with em but hey my bad anyway, but its ok i'm a club member so no worries just whip up the purchase on screen there it is. But that doesnt actually mean i can return it apparently, still need the receipt as proof of purchase so they can send it back to arc and tell em they did a shit job.

Now i know i'm a bit naive not keeping the receipt but i would still expect some attempt at customer service, spent a fiar bit of money with them the last few moths and they couldn't give two craps. So from this point they wont be getting one soiled penny from me.

Something is not right here, are you saying ARK have 50mm stamped on a 45mm coupling?. I deal with ARK a lot and apart from never seeing a 45mm coupling, I guarantee they wouldn,t have the size wrong. The "stamp" is part of the casting and will not be wrong. Do you have a photo?

Gon Fishun
24-02-2014, 11:15 PM
Something is not right here, are you saying ARK have 50mm stamped on a 45mm coupling?. I deal with ARK a lot and apart from never seeing a 45mm coupling, I guarantee they wouldn,t have the size wrong. The "stamp" is part of the casting and will not be wrong. Do you have a photo?

This bloke must have big nuts making an assumption and a guarantee on Ausfish.

Back In Black
25-02-2014, 06:26 AM
This bloke must have big nuts making an assumption and a guarantee on Ausfish.

By memory Mark in involved in trailer fabrication, so he does have some credibility in his comments.

Tony

Fed
25-02-2014, 06:41 AM
Good call Mark.

You may have to pull the coupling handle up they don't always push up by themselves, then there's also the adjustment thing to play with.

Does anyone know if there's a set way to adjust them other than as tight as possible yet still accept the ball?

bennykenny
25-02-2014, 07:27 AM
Guys. I work at a Hardware store and our policy is I refund or replace any item you bring back. No receipts are necessary and if it is a warranty claim our point of sale system allows us to search for the item and reprint a docket for up to 5 years ago.

We have replaces items that haven't been bought at our store with no questions asked It's not worth arguing with customers. Better to make someone happy with their shopping experience and the will return the favour with more purchasing
Btw. b@F can search for any purchase docket on their sales system as well. They chose not to!

Interesting Aussie, what hardware store do you work at???
So I could buy something from bunnings 10% cheaper than your hardware as per their price guarantee and return it to your store with no receipt for a cash refund. Sounds like a good money making idea.
So I also bought a drill from your hardware 12 months ago. I paid cash. I want to return it because its broken, and get a new one because it has a 2 year warranty.I have no receipt. Can you look up the receipt for me???
You seem to have a intimate knowledge of bcfs sales system how can I get them to look up my sales docket so I can return something.

SunnyCoastMark
25-02-2014, 09:36 AM
Just spoken to my contact at ARK - and as I thought - they don't do a coupling to suit a 45mm Ball. as far as I know - nobody does anymore.

So, I think it is more likely (as Fed said) that the adjuster bolt is all the way in and needs adjusting out. Generally around half way is a good place to start.

Towballs can vary in size I have seen them as small as 49mm and as big as 50.6mm. Couplings are cast - but they generally are sized to suit the bigger variants. (hence the adjustment). That being said, we have had the odd one (probably 1 in a thousand) where the coupling did not fit any ball.

Therefore, if you have the adjuster bolt backed right off and your coupling still wont go on the ball, it will just be a casting fault. Maybe the coupling was dropped on its side while still hot and squashed a bit - who knows?

Point is - it is not a "45mm coupling" per se'. Take it back to BCF. tell them it doesnt fit, as there must be something wrong with the casting. If they doubt you, grab one of their towballs off the shelf and show them. Then get another coupling. Make sure it fits the towball

Simple.

Mark

brett62
25-02-2014, 09:47 AM
With regard to giving ones business to a local shop NOT part of any large chain of stores, I'm all for that.
I buy all my rods/reels and most of my lures/hooks etc locally, BUT I don't ask them to meet internet prices. To me that's not right if you want to support the local stores with knowledgeable staff. Ill ask if they can do better than their ticketed price but I never expect or ask for internet sourced el- cheapo prices! Sure I pay more in the long run but they know me by name, what bait or lures I use etc and I get let in on fishing info a tourist wont get.

Support your local shop but don't screw him on prices at the same time. They have families to feed too!

When one has a sign up stating "We will equal any price or better it with in reason" must be expected to be asked the question or put to the test. I am not out to screw them but you will find that your local supplier can price match on quality items or close to. I certainly don't want to see their families out on the street begging for food. I have found on many occasions that their marked price for items is less than I could purchase over the internet. Plenty of people waiting to screw you over the internet also.

Like yourself Lancair I get the same type of service and advice from my local tackle shop. Good blokes. I remember going in one Sunday morning to buy a new reel and the gentleman that owns the store told me that BCF have a special on the same reel for less than he could sell for but said that he could do a good deal on a rod to suit. I was not after a rod and was willing to pay the extra for the reel rather than drive down to BCF but he ended up selling a rod also to me. Spend $500 more than I was going too and had to explain that to the wife when I got home also.

aussiebasser
25-02-2014, 10:48 AM
How do you measure a trailer coupling size with a tape measure?

Back In Black
25-02-2014, 11:27 AM
How do you measure a trailer coupling size with a tape measure?

Calipers??

airlock
25-02-2014, 12:04 PM
i just got a bit of string and marked it off with a texter then measured the marks on the string. I'm just about to whip it off so i'll pop up some photos along the way.

Camhawk88
25-02-2014, 12:20 PM
Airlock, that will give you circumference- you need the diameter.

Or you could work it backwards and divide the circumference by Pi- roughly 3.14.

SunnyCoastMark
25-02-2014, 01:22 PM
i just got a bit of string and marked it off with a texter then measured the marks on the string. I'm just about to whip it off so i'll pop up some photos along the way.

Uh huh....... :-X

gr hilly
25-02-2014, 02:01 PM
Camhawk88 get it right m8 3.416 it's like tying a knot in braid it has to be perfect'.

McKnight
25-02-2014, 02:27 PM
Camhawk88 get it right m8 3.416 it's like tying a knot in braid it has to be perfect'.

Camhawk did have it right it is 3.14159 or roughly 3.14, easy way to remember it spells pie backwards; PIE = 3.14.

Fed
25-02-2014, 02:28 PM
Hahahahahaha!

airlock
25-02-2014, 03:10 PM
that would only be if i wrapped it around the whole thing, i just used the string to measure the internal diameter, couldnt get a tape measure in there and get an accurate reeading so used a bit of sting from one side to the other and a pen to mark it. i imagine even i could pick it was the wrong size a circumference of 45mm.

airlock
25-02-2014, 03:14 PM
on the plus side i took it into bcf for a last attempt and the manager took a look on the system for me, changed it over without a fuss, i guess it just goes down to who you get and if you don't like the answer ask for a manager....possibly before you vent your rage all over the inter web. So the New one is the right size, seems to fit ok but there no damn wind on the lake this arvo.

Camhawk88
25-02-2014, 03:49 PM
Back to school for you Mr Hill.:D

bazza65
25-02-2014, 04:19 PM
who you gonna call.

littlejim
25-02-2014, 05:13 PM
Great to see justice prevailed.

gr hilly
25-02-2014, 05:25 PM
Camhawk did have it right it is 3.14159 or roughly 3.14, easy way to remember it spells pie backwards; PIE = 3.14.
Mcknight i was closer HA HA HA.Hilly

aussie9
25-02-2014, 06:27 PM
Interesting Aussie, what hardware store do you work at???
So I could buy something from bunnings 10% cheaper than your hardware as per their price guarantee and return it to your store with no receipt for a cash refund. Sounds like a good money making idea.
So I also bought a drill from your hardware 12 months ago. I paid cash. I want to return it because its broken, and get a new one because it has a 2 year warranty.I have no receipt. Can you look up the receipt for me???
You seem to have a intimate knowledge of bcfs sales system how can I get them to look up my sales docket so I can return something.
Mate. If you could be bothered buying stuff at Bunnings and returning it for cash at our store, you have too muh spare time. However, of it was a product we stock we would refund our price, which is often cheaper than Bunnings anyway.
With regards to BC$. If you used your Member Card, a credit claim etc is easy. Search sales under your card details and reprint the sales docket.
If it was a straight cash sale, you would feed a rough date you purchased the product
Do a product inquirey, select Sales and search the rough date you bought the product. Reprint the sales docket from that period for warranty claim etc
The till jockeys won't have the authorisation to do the search. You will need a Manager
It's not that hard

bennykenny
26-02-2014, 05:08 PM
Mate. If you could be bothered buying stuff at Bunnings and returning it for cash at our store, you have too muh spare time. However, of it was a product we stock we would refund our price, which is often cheaper than Bunnings anyway.
With regards to BC$. If you used your Member Card, a credit claim etc is easy. Search sales under your card details and reprint the sales docket.
If it was a straight cash sale, you would feed a rough date you purchased the product
Do a product inquirey, select Sales and search the rough date you bought the product. Reprint the sales docket from that period for warranty claim etc
The till jockeys won't have the authorisation to do the search. You will need a Manager
It's not that hard

So your saying a rough date where someone may have bought the same product is good enough to print a receipt out for them???
You would be laughed out of 99% of retail shops if you asked them to do that.
So what hardware do you work at???

PixieAU
26-02-2014, 05:35 PM
I read that as a rough date would be where you started your search

bennykenny
26-02-2014, 05:43 PM
I read that as a rough date would be where you started your search

Yeah but your still just looking for a sale of that product, what proof is there that it was that person that purchased that product .
When I purchase something the onus is on me to keep the receipt for warranty claims. I don't go blaming the shop for not keeping a record of it. Maybe that's just me though, other people expect everything to be done for them.

aussie9
26-02-2014, 06:02 PM
So your saying a rough date where someone may have bought the same product is good enough to print a receipt out for them???
You would be laughed out of 99% of retail shops if you asked them to do that.
So what hardware do you work at???
You may be thinking that's it's the retailer that is providing the warrenty
It's the manufacturer or distributor that provides the warranty. So if you return a defective item half way through its warranty period, the retailer calls the manufacturer etc and the item is either returned for repairs or an authority to replace is provided.
So an approximate date should be all that is required to find when the item was sold. It doesn't matter whether it is the item you bought on 5/8/13 or someone else bought on 7/8/13.
Think about it. The retailer goes the extra mile and gets a great outcome for you and you sing his praises and spend more money there.
Or. It's all too hard and you are pissed, whinge to everyone you know and no one shops there.
I work at Fernvale Produce Mitre 10 at Fernvale naturally. We also sell a bit of fishing gear. Business is never that good that you can piss customers off.
So if your hardware store doesn't go the extra mile for you......... Call in and see me. (Peter)

bennykenny
26-02-2014, 06:35 PM
So what if the following situation happened
I buy a shimano sustain from OS cost me $450 delivered I walk into bcf and say sorry I bought this reel a last year in April but I lost my receipt I payed cash and didn't put on my bcf card. There is something wrong with the reel. Can you find in your system a sustain you sold in April and just put through warranty under that receipt.
Your saying that its ok.

PeterKroll
26-02-2014, 06:37 PM
Think about it. The retailer goes the extra mile and gets a great outcome for you and you sing his praises and spend more money there. So if your hardware store doesn't go the extra mile for you......... Call in and see me. (Peter)

Pete, if I ever get up your way, I will. Your point is well taken.

I had an experience with Amazon where they assumed that I was telling the truth, and went out of their way to replace a broken item. They had all my details at their end in seconds. I was up front with them and even told them that I actually broke the device (a kindle) myself. The bloke asked me, "Well, you didn't mean to break it, did you?". I said no, and next thing I know, a replacement is on the way. And I've been telling that story for years. Great advertising for them. This is why I prefer to shop online. I only buy locally when I form a relationship with a supplier. That never used to be the case, but it's the reason I still shop at Jaycar (for example) for bits and pieces of electronics. The people they employ know their product. Their advice will be good. In other cases, I figure that if I have to do the research myself, there's no need to pay someone else for the privilege.

If a retailer says they will go the extra mile, and they actually do, I tend not to shop around. I just go there. It's a trust thing.

Volvo
26-02-2014, 07:28 PM
If I purchae something from Hardley Normans n lose the reciept they have everything ive purchased on record and can reprint a receipt or show proof of purchase.
I cannot understand why BCF cannot or havent a record of everyone's purchase???, after all they always ask to swipe your membership card each time you purchase.
Sometimes i wander if its just a ploy to make it a tad harder to make a return or refund ???.
Dont know but if they want the customer and goodwill they would do so otherwise there is a chance they will slide backwards..

bennykenny
26-02-2014, 07:35 PM
They do, its written in the original post.

aussie9
26-02-2014, 09:00 PM
So what if the following situation happened
I buy a shimano sustain from OS cost me $450 delivered I walk into bcf and say sorry I bought this reel a last year in April but I lost my receipt I payed cash and didn't put on my bcf card. There is something wrong with the reel. Can you find in your system a sustain you sold in April and just put through warranty under that receipt.
Your saying that its ok.
If you are inclined to be dishonest in your scenario, you would be found out anyway. Everything that is sold can be traced to country of origin. I was assuming you were returning the item to where you purchased it and didn't have a docket.
I also think we have discussed this to death

If you are not happy with the service you get.......... Shop with your feet
Btw. If you buy os. And need a warrenty claim. Contact os. That's where you are sending your cash.

Cheers all

hainsofast
26-02-2014, 10:26 PM
I hate them coz they never got stock, go to charltons if you in the western suburbs, always got stock, got people who know what they are talking about and the prices are the same.

NArmstrong
27-02-2014, 05:57 AM
I'm Suprised charltons are still around. I can't imagine there being that much traffic into that store. I haven't been there in years though. Regarding fernvale, a mate of mine is opening up a fishing store at fernvale, I believe it will be in the sheds on the left when u first enter fernvale. His current fishing store is on the warrego hwy but fernvale is a much better location. Hopefully he does well.

aussiebasser
27-02-2014, 07:11 AM
Have to say I've always had great service from Mitre 10 in Fernvale. Charlton's are pretty good too, and I'm sure they get plenty of traffic. Where, on the Warrego is your mate's current Tackle Shop?

Scalem
27-02-2014, 08:21 AM
I think it still should remain the discretion of the store manager/ owner whether he/ she gives a refund and no receipt of purchase can be produced. I have been dealing with people long enough to understand whether an individual is deliberately and fraudulently manipulating things to advantage. Managers should have the authority to make a judgement call and bend the rules in a case by case scenario so if someone does not have a receipt but the manager makes a judgement call regardless of "policy" and gives a refund or replacement, then that decision should not be questioned by anyone within the company hierarchy. That is part of a manager or supervisors role, and once the decision is made, that is final. In the whole scheme of things, the customer who appreciates the support of their retailer in this way, knowing that they have been treated beyond what is normal policy on receipts as evidence will tell all his mates and family..... while the same retailer spends thousands of marketing dollars with TV adds but has lost the value of customer relations and where the real impact on their business is.

Scalem

hainsofast
27-02-2014, 09:43 AM
I'm Suprised charltons are still around. I can't imagine there being that much traffic into that store. I haven't been there in years though. Regarding fernvale, a mate of mine is opening up a fishing store at fernvale, I believe it will be in the sheds on the left when u first enter fernvale. His current fishing store is on the warrego hwy but fernvale is a much better location. Hopefully he does well.
yeah they are always busy, because they have stock, and staff that know what they are on about, nearly everytime I go into BCF looking for specialised tackle, they have none on the shelf or only one in stock and the staff are muppets who don't have a clue.

bennykenny
27-02-2014, 09:47 AM
I think the moral to the story is to always talk to the manager, because anyone else may not be up to date with returns policy. As with what has happened with the original poster.

PeterKroll
27-02-2014, 11:02 AM
I have to give a plug to Tackle Warehouse in Camp Hill. Dropped in to pick up my replacement Trion and Ci4+. They price - matched with no whinging, and they have a great selection of gear. Very helpful, more interested in what i wanted than in pushing their own opinion. I will shop there more often. So much more variety than than BC$.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

4x4frog
28-02-2014, 11:45 AM
i guess i'm just annoyed because i bought my new light gear there and most of the bits to sort out my old cat, probably well over $400 in all. and they can't even be bothered to put in the effort to exchange a faulty item. I know i haven't got a receipt but there was just no effort made. o well theres 2 good small fishing shops and a great little boating shop around noosa that i know of and i think they will be much happier with my return business.
Good idea Airlock, use the local Noosa guys, they would appreciate the business I am certain.
BTW, how long have you lived at Boreen? My grandparents owned a fair bit of land there many years ago, one of the earlier settlers of the area. My cousin still lives there, wish I had the cash to move, my ultimate relaxation destination.

chisel
28-02-2014, 01:50 PM
I recently went to BCF to buy a new Alvey during what I thought was "25% off fishing gear" day ... but I'd missed the end of the sale by a day. Ok, I thought, I'll be happy with about half that discount so asked for $10 off instead ... no dice. They claimed that the 25% off sale meant they were selling the Alveys at a loss during the sale and would not budge on the full price (not even 10%). Complete b$#l$#t I thought - no way are they making less than 25% on an Alvey at full RRP. I don't understand why they felt the need to come up with that rubbish instead of just saying "sorry, sale ended yesterday".

Volvo
28-02-2014, 01:56 PM
They do, its written in the original post.

If that was a reply to my reply:), "No they dont" coupla times i went in for a return and they cannot find your purchase without a reciept or so they say!!, and what i am saying is they should be able to as they have the abillity to as they take a swipe of your membership each purchase..

bennykenny
28-02-2014, 03:37 PM
Yeah they do. The stores have the ability now to.look up your club member purchases, started about 3 weeks ago.

airlock
28-02-2014, 04:30 PM
Good idea Airlock, use the local Noosa guys, they would appreciate the business I am certain.
BTW, how long have you lived at Boreen? My grandparents owned a fair bit of land there many years ago, one of the earlier settlers of the area. My cousin still lives there, wish I had the cash to move, my ultimate relaxation destination.

We've only been here about 7 or 8 months, moved up from melbourne t get a change of pace and really love it, looking to buy somewhere around here in the next few years. Love being so close to the water.

FisHard
28-02-2014, 04:38 PM
I have to give a plug to Tackle Warehouse in Camp Hill. Dropped in to pick up my replacement Trion and Ci4+. They price - matched with no whinging, and they have a great selection of gear. Very helpful, more interested in what i wanted than in pushing their own opinion. I will shop there more often. So much more variety than than BC$.

The boys at Tackle Warehouse are ace. Good mix of low, mid and top end gear too. As mentioned, happy to match prices without hassle. Also not a fan of BCF, but have wandered through a few of their stores when there's nothing else to do. It's a tackle shop for dummies.

bowds13
28-02-2014, 07:19 PM
BFC is good if you know what you want they can be understaffed at times and i feel sorry for them

Why feel sorry for them? If you are under staff consistently that comes down to poor management. I'm assuming their wages budget would be big enough considering the turn over they would do to be able to put staff on at peak trading times. The amount of times iv walked out after standing around waiting for some on to unlock the reel cabinet and seeing 0 staff around is beyond a joke. That $200 I would have spent would cover a causal for a Saturday afternoon. More staff on in peak trading means more money through the till.. Simple! I actually wrote an email to them about my displeasure which was responded with a half assed sorry and that isn't our usual standards. I laughed and now my money goes to the boys at carsledine

bowds13
28-02-2014, 08:14 PM
Yeah sorry mate, I see what you mean about feeling sorry for the blokes that get stuck there and no doubt cop a lot from customers.

My point my was pointed at the managers that all ways have an excuse as to why there is no one there or why there isn't any stock and make out like they are the victim.
But in saying that iv given them ago plenty of times and now I go to the local guys which I feel is also the Aussie way

cheers

PeterKroll
28-02-2014, 09:23 PM
Actually, looking at the sales receipt from the Tackle Warehouse, he didn't just match the online price of the Ci4, he beat it by a dollar. Pretty cute.

NAGG
28-02-2014, 09:35 PM
what do you expect from a chain store ? .... service , product knowledge , whatever ?

you get what you pay for .... after you roll the dice

I know if I was after advice etc ..... I wouldn't be going to BCF

Chris

wayno60
01-03-2014, 01:52 AM
Lucky for me i know most of the guys in my local BCF, but still never really ask for advice, (according to the ol girl I already know everything) Ill do my homework and just go there for the purchase of the product.
The BCF at Nerang is maybe 1 k from home so i cant see the benifit of driving 20k and my time to save $10/$20 on an item.

Lancair
01-03-2014, 07:25 AM
Yesterday I bought a new rod, reel and 300yd of braid from my local tackle shop.
Ticket price of all items was $730, I got it for $640. (life is too short to fish poor quality gear) I may have got them $40 cheaper from a big online store but I wouldnt have them immediately.

tunaticer
01-03-2014, 10:58 AM
My closest retailer is about 3km away, BCF. I call in there semi regularly to replenish plastics stock.
Next closest is blind Freddy's, been there once......just another BCF to me.
Then I have two real tackle shops, Carseldine Tackleshop and Sandgate Tackleworld.
Those two shops are very good shops with great staff. I spend probably 50% of my money at thise two shops, 20% at BCF and the rest online.

I research online continually for things of interest. If the two decent shops dont carry it I buy online.

Si
01-03-2014, 11:36 AM
I TRY to support small business tackle stores rather than the chains. I also TRY to do this in my weekly food shopping. I'd rather see my money going to families rather than big business. Having said the convenience of shopping at the big chains sways me to them.

PeterKroll
01-03-2014, 03:08 PM
I don't have a problem shopping at BC$. I bought two really good basic snapper outfits from there for $69 each. Got me into fishing for snapper really fast, at an amazing price. But I agree, if I want advice, I look elsewhere. If I want to buy something decent, I'll generally look elsewhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

gr hilly
01-03-2014, 03:35 PM
my local tackle and bait shops have closed down over the last 25 yrs so i now use the gem on the way to the pin and i got all my fishing rods hand made,and personalized never had a rod break or runners fall off.

cheers,Hilly.

wayno60
01-03-2014, 03:44 PM
I'd rather see my money going to families rather than big business
Doesn't big business employ a lot of families???

sharkymark2
01-03-2014, 06:24 PM
I work at that hardly normal store and next door is BCF. About 7 years ago I bought an ever ready led light with and extra red led. 7 years later it failed but I didn't keep the receipt (life time warranty). So I bought a new one and kept the receipt this time well a couple of days ago after 4 years the plastic failed and i returned it to BCF Macgregor store even though I had bought it at Underwood. What great service they provided. They don't have a record on their data base but the receipt was proof of purchase from another store. Went straight over and got me a new $36 light with no hassles So I am giving them a commendation for excellent service and attitude. I said to the young girl I was going to put her name down but on contemplation it might lead to heaps of customers asking for her. I have had excellent service from these young people over the last year. Very friendly and very willing to share information.