PDA

View Full Version : Is the Formosa worth 3-4k more than the Clark?

hazza80
21-02-2014, 05:26 PM
Just about ready to make a new purchase - and after scanning gumtree, boatsales, dealer websites, and reviews for months, I think I've come to the decision between the Clark 480 Dominator and the 480 Formosa side console. I've received quotes from a couple of companies - with the following added extras (90hp 4 stroke, bimini, VHF, dual batteries, radio, baitboard, EPIRB, trailer upgrade):

- the Clark comes in about 32-33k but includes kill tank, 3 pedestal seats, bow mount plate, 2 tone paint - also comes with 90hp Mercury 4 stroke

- the Formosa comes in about 36-37k when adding in the extras (costly extras that Clark includes standard soon add up) - 90hp Suzuki 4 stroke

I know Formosa do build in extra strength around their floor structure bracing (which I need, living in Hervey Bay - which can chop up 30+km from the ramp before you know it) and are considered a good boat for their price point. They weigh in about 520kg + a few extra kg with the extras I'm guessing.

Alternatively, the Clark seem to have a great reputation, and all reviews I've read indicate that the 480 Dominator is a good bang for buck boat. All the extras, that are basically 'needs' in boating reduce the overall cost, bringing their BMT package within budget. The weight of their boat alone weighs 450kg - so not lightweight either. Do these boats have the extra floor bracing to provide greater support in chop/bouncing? I guess with their front cast deck there will be more support up the front (where it counts).

I'm pretty close to getting a deal done - I am skeptical that the boat shows offer 'true savings' and feel by getting in now, before the Tinny and Tackle Show, I can avoid any delayed waits while it gets built, as the dealers have them in stock now.

My gut is telling me that the Clark will be ample, and well suited to the type of boating I do: solo fishing, fishing with mates, to Rooney's on a good day, family to Fraser, whale watching, up the creek, easy to tow, manageable at the ramp solo and easy to handle/store at home. I just don't want to regret not getting the Formosa - is it worth the extra 3-4k (and therefore, extra fortnightly repayments).

Also, if you've purchased one of these with extras and motor upgrades, can you let me know the deal/change over you managed to score, and the finance rate?

copie
21-02-2014, 10:42 PM
Have a look at TABS.

hazza80
22-02-2014, 09:45 AM
Cheers Copie, I've looked at them too (and most other brands) - they look good, pretty similar - with the extra options they're going to be comparable to the Formosa with cost.

Does the Mercury with the Clark v Suzuki with Formosa have much weighting in the decision - my experience has been with Yamaha 4 stroke, and I found it brilliant. I'm imagining either the Merc or Suzi will also be very good.

copie
23-02-2014, 11:00 AM
My brother just recently purchased a TABS 5.0m territory pro side console. Fully painted hull with logo decals fully welded,carpet, rod holders, live bait tank, swim platform and ladder, non return steering, 3 pedestal seats, esky under casting platform, electric mount, up grade drive on redco trailer with walkway and dimena rope on winch, 70hp suzuki 4 stroke (same as a 90) 7" sounder gps combo all safety gear anchor and rope registered ready to fish 36k. Oh and he opted for the 4mm bottom. Goes and rides very well easy to handle very stable at rest.

Mark

hazza80
23-02-2014, 11:20 AM
Mark, can you tell me the dealer he went through? Sounds like a reasonable deal - I'd probably drop the sounder/gps and upgrade to the 90 though (already have hds7 with lss1) - did he get dual battery, vhf, bimini? If not, this would add another grand to my total

gunna
23-02-2014, 12:03 PM
I have the 435 Dominator and am really happy with quality. I also shopped around to get motor of choice as most dealers were Merc. There are a couple dealers who will put your choice on.

copie
23-02-2014, 01:58 PM
Mark, can you tell me the dealer he went through? Sounds like a reasonable deal - I'd probably drop the sounder/gps and upgrade to the 90 though (already have hds7 with lss1) - did he get dual battery, vhf, bimini? If not, this would add another grand to my total
VHF yes battery isolator switch one battery only and got his own bimini.

hazza80
23-02-2014, 02:37 PM
Having another look at the TABS specs sheet. How does the 70hp feel - I'd like to go to the max hp - to have in reserve when weather turns. It does look like a nice boat, and they do have a good name too.

Clark, TABS, Formosa, Sea Jay, etc seem to be very similar on the specs sheets and similar prices - Formosa prob most expensive, Clark probably most value for what you get - I think negotiating with the dealers will decide which way I end up going - but will get a quote on the TABS - they'll fall in the middle I'm guessing, but it is an extra 15-20cm, so something to think about. Those photos are helping me to see myself in one!

copie
23-02-2014, 03:23 PM
Having another look at the TABS specs sheet. How does the 70hp feel - I'd like to go to the max hp - to have in reserve when weather turns. It does look like a nice boat, and they do have a good name too.

Clark, TABS, Formosa, Sea Jay, etc seem to be very similar on the specs sheets and similar prices - Formosa prob most expensive, Clark probably most value for what you get - I think negotiating with the dealers will decide which way I end up going - but will get a quote on the TABS - they'll fall in the middle I'm guessing, but it is an extra 15-20cm, so something to think about. Those photos are helping me to see myself in one!
I have to say i was a little hesitant at first about the 70 suz but now having been out in it even i am very surprised at the power,acceleration, cruise and top speed. With three on board and fishing gear there is plenty of power left to spare. Almost went for Yamaha but yami is a 1.0lt capacity and the Suzuki is 1.5 lt same engine size and weight as the 90hp just de-rated i believe via the cams and chip. Well worth your while talking to Dean and getting a bit of info for yourself.

Mark

Mrs Ronnie H
23-02-2014, 03:48 PM
Hi
Our Formosa is currently up for sale with kill Tank,bait board, side and rear clears, 90 hp suzuki, Sounder and GPS. Immaculately kept.

Mrs H

hazza80
23-02-2014, 06:06 PM
Hi
Our Formosa is currently up for sale with kill Tank,bait board, side and rear clears, 90 hp suzuki, Sounder and GPS. Immaculately kept.

Mrs H

Details? I can't see it in the classifieds, do you have a link?

Darren Mc
23-02-2014, 08:54 PM
Yeah it's in there mate
Purple 5.2 runabout, 90 suzuki, $32000.
Under newest owner classifieds.

FNQCairns
02-03-2014, 09:08 PM
How did you go...dont discount looking at the hull form of each as your most important initial criteria.

retep52
03-03-2014, 02:37 PM
Not sure about the Clark but I have a Formosa 5.8 centre cab Offshore and have been out from Urangan boat harbour to Fraser and Tin Can Bay (to Gary's Anchorage). Most times I have been by myself and not once have I ever had trouble unloading or loading my boat alone. Makes it a little easier I guess being a drive on/off set-up. Tin Can Bay can be a little difficult at times; tides and wind always seem to be opposites!! As for the Formosa; have been out in some very ordinary conditions and have never had a worry about safety or what the weather is doing. Good luck with your choice.

hazza80
03-03-2014, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I went down to Brisbane over the weekend and looked at quite a few makes and models. The Formosa have a formidable look from the front - certainly a raised sheer - however their 480 is rather small and I'd imagine it would be in-between chop a lot. The 520 is a good size and I'm sure would be more comfortable when travelling, but pushes the budget up, yet again. Looking between 38-41k optioned with what I'm after with either a 90 or 115 Suzi 4 stroke.

Clark looked good, again I wouldn't want smaller than the 515 - only downer is after seeing the Formosa, their nose is like my old 375 tinny - no deep V or raised sheer - this is great for using the Minn Kota (less reach to the water) but I'd like to see how it would handle chop and a swell from behind. Still represent reasonable value for money, and keeping it in mind.

Looked at 5 trailcraft boats - 3 x 2nd hand ones, 2 x dealers 2nd hand (missed Cunningham due to time). These seem to tick most of my boxes - they have a nice nose; raised sheer line, but still able to use Minn Kota (might need to change 54" to 60" shaft), side console had plenty of space (centre consoles seemed squashy for the family trips). Most of all, I like that they've got welded, self draining decks. I'm leaning towards one of them, but I'm waiting on a quote for a brand spanker (even though I know they're now building in China - I think their quality control will still be up to standard as they've increased their warranty) and am hoping it fits in between the 35-37k mark with either 90, 100, 115 4 stroke. I also like that they come with roller trailers - easier to retrieve winch or drive on - and obviously structurally stronger in the hull floor to support the rollers. The 525 Profish is at the top of my list at the moment.

I've actually come around to thinking an Optimax isn't necessarily a bad option either - for eg. can afford a 115 Opti for cheaper than a 90 4 stroke. Would be nice having extra power out wide when/if the weather turns it up - and also when tubing kids around in the future years (although a 90 4 stk will still do this for our needs fine). Still deciding on this too.

oldie
03-03-2014, 07:47 PM
go the opti mate who cares about noise they troll great and fuel consumption is on par with a 4 bange

ozynorts
03-03-2014, 07:58 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I went down to Brisbane over the weekend and looked at quite a few makes and models. The Formosa have a formidable look from the front - certainly a raised sheer - however their 480 is rather small and I'd imagine it would be in-between chop a lot. The 520 is a good size and I'm sure would be more comfortable when travelling, but pushes the budget up, yet again. Looking between 38-41k optioned with what I'm after with either a 90 or 115 Suzi 4 stroke.

Clark looked good, again I wouldn't want smaller than the 515 - only downer is after seeing the Formosa, their nose is like my old 375 tinny - no deep V or raised sheer - this is great for using the Minn Kota (less reach to the water) but I'd like to see how it would handle chop and a swell from behind. Still represent reasonable value for money, and keeping it in mind.

Looked at 5 trailcraft boats - 3 x 2nd hand ones, 2 x dealers 2nd hand (missed Cunningham due to time). These seem to tick most of my boxes - they have a nice nose; raised sheer line, but still able to use Minn Kota (might need to change 54" to 60" shaft), side console had plenty of space (centre consoles seemed squashy for the family trips). Most of all, I like that they've got welded, self draining decks. I'm leaning towards one of them, but I'm waiting on a quote for a brand spanker (even though I know they're now building in China - I think their quality control will still be up to standard as they've increased their warranty) and am hoping it fits in between the 35-37k mark with either 90, 100, 115 4 stroke. I also like that they come with roller trailers - easier to retrieve winch or drive on - and obviously structurally stronger in the hull floor to support the rollers. The 525 Profish is at the top of my list at the moment.

I've actually come around to thinking an Optimax isn't necessarily a bad option either - for eg. can afford a 115 Opti for cheaper than a 90 4 stroke. Would be nice having extra power out wide when/if the weather turns it up - and also when tubing kids around in the future years (although a 90 4 stk will still do this for our needs fine). Still deciding on this too.

Hey mate, one of the boys on here is selling a Trailcraft Profish. http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?197465-What-price-should-I-ask-for-my-boat
Might be worth a look.

hazza80
03-03-2014, 08:36 PM
Yeah, that is one of the Trailcrafts that I viewed (this one through a fence). I haven't forgotten it, but it's a CC, and I'd prefer a side console for extra deck space. However, it does represent reasonable boat for the dollars, so keeping it in mind.

hazza80
08-03-2014, 07:24 PM
Have done a 180 this week - I'm looking at a 2007 Yalta tomorrow. Can someone tell me if it would have wooden transom/stringers, or fibreglass/foam - how would I know?

ozynorts
09-03-2014, 07:49 AM
Like your choice mate. There a a few of us on here that have Yalta's. They are wooden mate. Here is a quote from a review done a couple of years ago. "Structurally the Yalta Triple 5 is very strong as confirmed by the hull weight of 720kg. In effect the boat's built to commercial standards so you can be assured it will stand up to some serious punishment. One of the more interesting aspects of the construction is the use of special termite-proof plywood for floor and stern reinforcing. You might wonder why they'd want to keep the termites out, but George assures me that's a real problem in some rural areas of Oz. That's why he's gone for Roo plywood that's so tough nothing is going to eat it."
Here is the review. http://www.marinews.com/boat-test/Yalta-Triple-5/13/

Are you looking at the 535 on boat point?

NAGG
09-03-2014, 09:30 AM
Those prices sound quite cheap

I bought a new 5.0M Seajay barramasta 2 years ago with a F70 yammi on it & it was about $43K (that included an I Pilot Minn Kota , extended casting deck & hydraulic steering).

The right motor is critical .... I should have had a 100hp on mine to get the best out of it (I have a 200amp battery up front for the MK) ..... so with anchors etc there is about 100kgs right at the nose.
A mate bought a Quinny 480 topender at the same time more or less with an F70 and he gets 13-15kmph more. So sometime in the near future I will repower my boat with a 100.

Why I raise this is that the Formosa & Clark would probably slot in between the lightweight Quinny Topender & Seajay - so any 70hp size motor will not be the right choice IMO ..... remember the F70 has the highest power to weight ratio in this class (being the lightest). So any choice in motor needs to be a 90 (no point looking at a 80 yammi .... might as well buy the F70) ...... So power the boat correctly

Chris

hazza80
09-03-2014, 12:56 PM
Like your choice mate. There a a few of us on here that have Yalta's. They are wooden mate. Here is a quote from a review done a couple of years ago. "Structurally the Yalta Triple 5 is very strong as confirmed by the hull weight of 720kg. In effect the boat's built to commercial standards so you can be assured it will stand up to some serious punishment. One of the more interesting aspects of the construction is the use of special termite-proof plywood for floor and stern reinforcing. You might wonder why they'd want to keep the termites out, but George assures me that's a real problem in some rural areas of Oz. That's why he's gone for Roo plywood that's so tough nothing is going to eat it."
Here is the review. http://www.marinews.com/boat-test/Yalta-Triple-5/13/

Are you looking at the 535 on boat point?

This is the one - http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=16533726&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=2&eapi=2

Put a deposit on it - pretty stoked. Wife is happy, kids are happy. Hope for years of enjoyment and some decent fishing. Saved a few dollars by going 2nd hand, touchwood it doesn't bite me in the arse, but it presented clean and service records were up to date. Only thing that has me worried is the driving on - there's not much vision from the helm (but all cabin boats will be the same 'coz of the boat's nose) - but lots of people do it, so I'm sure I'll learn!

Hopefully we get everything sorted out on both sides during the week, and I take delivery next weekend. Be nice if the weather gods allow a break from this wind!

ozynorts
09-03-2014, 03:09 PM
Well done mate. It's a nice little boat. As for driving on, take your time. If you don't feel comfortable don't do it. As my trailer isn't set up properly to do it I just winch it on. Takes a few minutes more but I am happy that I am not going to stuff up and scratch the crap out of my hull.

copie
09-03-2014, 07:10 PM
Congrats hazza80 looks like a very nice rig. I am sure you and the family will great pleasure and enjoyment on the water.
Good luck and see you out there.

Mark

Jsmfun
09-03-2014, 08:14 PM
Very nice just follow ozynorts advice I tried a couple of times on my yalta 535(previous boat) only takes 1windy day and $500 dollars worth of damage they are very easy to just wind on even on steep ramps . I hope you and the family enjoy for many years to come
cheers ScottScott