PDA

View Full Version : 175 hp mercury 2 stroke

Jules22
21-02-2014, 02:17 PM
Hi I am looking at buying a boat with a 175 hp mercury 2 stroke outboard on it I think the engine is a 2003 or 2004 model that has about 450 hours on it anyone have any thoughts or advice on these engines any problems ?? Thanks

Nicholas2230
21-02-2014, 02:39 PM
Hi mate, I guess it really depends on a few factors.

1. The boat the engine is on

2. The type of fishing you are going to do

3. The service history/maintenance.

As with any 2 stroke you aren't going to get the range/fuel economy or the peace and quiet of a decent 4 stroke. You are also going to get a pretty stinky (oil/smoke) engine if you plan on doing alot of slow trolling etc.

As with buying any motor see if you can get some receipts on the services and maintenance that has been done and have a compression test run. Make sure it is putting out plenty of water and its not too hot to the touch....

Just my two cents

Jules22
21-02-2014, 09:37 PM
Thanks mate the boat is a 19 foot gray wheel ?? I think they were brought out by bay runner and as for the age it's not good so im thinking it might be a goerknown but pretty sure it's from the 80s I spoke to the shop that fitted it 2 years back and they said it was fine but I was not sure if they were just trying to help the guy sell the boat ?? I took it out today and had a good run in it it felt good so maybe it's worth a go thanks for the advice

Jules22
21-02-2014, 09:43 PM
Thanks mate the boat is a 19 foot gray wheel ?? I think they were brought out by bay runner and as for the age it's not known but pretty sure it's from the 80s I spoke to the shop that fitted it 2 years back and they said it was fine but I was not sure if they were just trying to help the guy sell the boat ?? I took it out today and had a good run in it it felt good so maybe it's worth a go thanks for the advice