PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha 30DETO starter problems

joeT
20-02-2014, 11:13 AM
Hi Guys,

I have a yamaha 30hp motor which has been running reliably for me for years but recently developed a problem with the starter. First time it happened I was out at sea at night and was very glad it eventually started to get me home :o. When I first turn the key there is a click and there is no sound from the motor turning over. If I try again and again eventually there is a reluctant 'chug, chug' of the motor turning over. After maybe a dozen or so tries the motor finally starts turning over and starts up. I haven't been out on the boat since but have started it on land, and it seems the problem is getting worse (lots of tries and just hearing a 'click' without the motor turning over). The rest of the motor runs fine as I can use the emergency pull start and it starts first time easy, and the motor runs well after that. Has my starter motor died and needs to be replaced? or is this something that can be repaired?

I've been servicing the motor myself lately as I'm on a bit of a budget. Just put in new spark plugs and the motor runs really good otherwise.

Thanks in advance

aussiebasser
20-02-2014, 11:47 AM
How good is your battery?

Moonlighter
20-02-2014, 12:29 PM
Check the simple things first. Battery, leads, lugs and connections, main fuse under the cowl. Check, undo, remove, clean and reinstall all of these.

Do a careful check of the battery leads. One tiny hole or split in the battery cables and the salt gets in and the corrosion starts. Saw a very similar situation some years ago and the cables were almost powder inside. New cables, problem fixed.

joeT
20-02-2014, 12:52 PM
Thanks for replies. I forgot to mention that I checked the battery as I thought this is the problem, and put it on a charger and it holds charge well. Operates the power tilt/trim well so can handle the loads. Also the connections on the starter motor look good.

Noelm
20-02-2014, 02:09 PM
even though the battery works the power trim, it means little, the trim uses next to no power compared to the stater, regardless of how good connections LOOK, remove them, and clean them, your symptoms are classic bad battery terminals.

Spaniard_King
21-02-2014, 05:12 AM
You need to measure the voltage at different points in the circuit whilst cranking the engine to ascertain where the problem lies

joeT
25-02-2014, 08:40 PM
even though the battery works the power trim, it means little, the trim uses next to no power compared to the stater, regardless of how good connections LOOK, remove them, and clean them, your symptoms are classic bad battery terminals.

Thanks heaps for this advice! I had thought the power trim had similar drain on the battery so thought it must be the starter. Was playing around today and cleaned all the connections and even swapped the battery with the one in the car. Was going to throw in the towel then remembered this bit of advice:

You need to measure the voltage at different points in the circuit whilst cranking the engine to ascertain where the problem lies

Pulled out the old multi-meter and checked a few points. Narrowed it down to the negative power lead. Had a look at the lead closely and realised the lead itself was crumbly inside and had a kink in it. Shortened off the damaged section and bam! instant motor start. ;D Moonlighter, looks like you were right!

Thanks heaps for the advice it was greatly appreciated!

Noelm
26-02-2014, 05:32 AM
Yep, that's the way these things go, all trouble shooting should start with the very basic, regardless of how the symptoms look, no use doing open heart surgery to remove a splinter in your finger!