PDA

View Full Version : Boat & Motor Performance Sheets

Grand_Marlin
16-02-2014, 09:15 AM
G'day Guys,

A lot of people ask what motor would be best suited to their boat.
I came across this on the Yamaha site. It lists a heap of different boat & motor tests with fuel usage results... thought it might be useful for comparing...

http://www.yamaha-motor.com.au/products/marine-outboard/power-reports

Cheers

Pete

Bremic
16-02-2014, 12:55 PM
By chance I happened to find this page yesterday, very useful. The Suzuki and Honda websites have similar.

http://marine.honda.com.au/Fuel_Consumption_Reports

http://suzukimarine.com.au/performance/performance-data/

stevemid
18-02-2014, 06:24 AM
Love that data! Anyone see any reports where different HP rated motors of the same displacement series were trialed on the same boat? (I'm still on that kick.)
Steve

Matt_F
20-02-2014, 02:41 PM
Would be great to see the power and torque curves for these outboards too. They are published for the diesel inboards, but have never seen them for outboards. Would make an interesing comparison.

catfish55
20-02-2014, 11:05 PM
Was interested in the new f200f figures but the only one that opens is the cruis craft link
.?.?
Could it be because I'm on an ipad
catfish

stevemid
22-02-2014, 01:59 PM
Would be great to see the power and torque curves for these outboards too. They are published for the diesel inboards, but have never seen them for outboards. Would make an interesing comparison.
As long as the manufactures sell the same motor in multiple HP configs at different prices, they'll never give us that data. If only I could figure out a way to monetise it, I'd love to set up a dyno, do the tests and publish the results.

Steve

stevemid
22-02-2014, 02:01 PM
Was interested in the new f200f figures but the only one that opens is the cruis craft link
.?.?
Could it be because I'm on an ipad
catfish
I have the same problem on my iPad 1. All of 'em open fine on my Mac desktop so it must be the iPad.

Steve

catfish55
25-02-2014, 10:59 AM
G'day Guys,

A lot of people ask what motor would be best suited to their boat.
I came across this on the Yamaha site. It lists a heap of different boat & motor tests with fuel usage results... thought it might be useful for comparing...

http://www.yamaha-motor.com.au/products/marine-outboard/power-reports

Cheers

Pete
not just the i pad tried all the ones especially bar crusher on page 2! just wont open! any ideas? would love to see them. starting to think Yamaha are hiding bad figures ???
catfish

Moonlighter
25-02-2014, 11:26 AM
I have just reported the problems to yamaha thru their website. Hopefully they will fix it.

cheers

ML

edit: Update

Yamaha have replied to me and say they have sent the issue to their web IT guys to see what the problem is and get it fixed.

gr hilly
25-02-2014, 01:20 PM
i had anew Merc 30hp did 15 hrs and changed to a 30hp Tohatsu the reason for the change was simply an electric start on the Tohatsu,the both use the same amount of fuel going to my fav spot up the river the only diff is the Merc caught more fish.
Hilly

stevemid
26-02-2014, 07:10 AM
I have the same problem on my iPad 1. All of 'em open fine on my Mac desktop so it must be the iPad.

Steve Correct that. I cant open the bar crusher F200 links with my desktop mac either.

goona
26-02-2014, 03:17 PM
Very interesting doing some comparisons between the motors for fuel useage.

Take the Honda 225 on the Hainse 650 Horizon at a weight of 2220Kgs best fuel useage is 1.9km/lt.
The Yamaha 225 on the AMM6.8 Weekender whilst slightly longer actually weighs less at 2140Kgs best fuel useage is 1.43km/lt.

If my maths is right the Yamaha is almost 33% less fuel efficient than the Honda. I see the Honda is a year younger but surely this wouldnt make that much difference.

Camhawk88
26-02-2014, 03:51 PM
Goona, weight and length are not the only factors to consider. Beam, hull shape, dead rise, chines, trim, friction or slipperiness of hull, sea conditions etc. all make a big difference.
Only way to compare is to have them on the same hulls under the same conditions.

goona
26-02-2014, 04:56 PM
Goona, weight and length are not the only factors to consider. Beam, hull shape, dead rise, chines, trim, friction or slipperiness of hull, sea conditions etc. all make a big difference.
Only way to compare is to have them on the same hulls under the same conditions.

Hi Camhawk88,

Very true and the Sea conditions would be the biggest variable. Looking at them both they were both around the 10knot mark so no difference there. 2.4m beam on the Honda Boat and 2.5 on the Yamaha boat so may give a little away there, 21 Degrees deadrise on the Honda boat and 20 degrees on the Yamaha so gained a little there. Both have reverse chines but I dare say the Honda boat would be slipperier due to being glass. I think both testers would also trim out as much as possible to get the best out of their motor.

30% more fuel or less travelled which ever way you put it is a big difference.

Cheers Goona

Tinspo
26-02-2014, 05:11 PM
Goona might not just be an engine brand thing either.

For example, I have twin Suzuki 140 hp 4 strokes on a 6m cat. There are 3 tests with twin setups of these engines on the Suzuki pages, they all report .75 ltrs per KLM or less on boats that are bigger and heavier than mine (one is a Cat Also) Yet I am getting around 1.1ltr per KLM. Big difference that I think is due to an overprop and engine height issue.

So bottom line is it may not be that the honda is better in your example, just that your Yammy isn't set up perfectly... Just a thought.

Jeremy

seashawgal
26-02-2014, 05:25 PM
I know it is tempting to go for a larger motor but I spoke to a guy with a 5.3 glass Whittley Impala who has upgraded to a 140 yamaha 4 stroke and he says it is a bit heavy & weighs the back down.(he said a 90 would have been adequate unless you are using it as a ski boat) I plan to upgrade sometime from my mercury 90 2 stroke and I'll probably go for a 90 hp suzuki 4 stroke as I have the same boat as him.

seashawgal
26-02-2014, 05:31 PM
From what I've read the suzuki 90 four stroke gets fantastic economy overall