PDA

View Full Version : Gel coat repairs discoloration.. help needed

Howso77
15-02-2014, 08:30 PM
Hi all,

I was hoping to get some comments assistance on gelcoat repairs and discolouration of a boats hull that I am considering purchasing. The hull of this boat is a mid 2000 model and has a bit of "rash" on the keel and also some yellowing under the hull and rust stains in the deck hardware. Can some one tell me how I could approach the following and whether it is something that can be fixed? I am reasonably comfortable that the rash can be fixed but more interested in removing rust stains and yellowing? I have attached a pic below (see middle pick for yellowing). Also is there anyone in Brisbane that specializes in this sort of work?

Any assistance would be appreciated as it is a boat I am considering buying and these are some of a number of things that need to be resolved/fixed if I was to buy it.

Cheers and thanks in advance..

Howso

rosco1974
15-02-2014, 09:22 PM
mate you can get the yellowing off easy with a number of products on the market,the mob down at eastcoast marina us a teak cleaner,another boat detailer/car detailer I know uses a glitz product which is similar to the C.L.R cleaner most use to clean there driveways ect...both also polish the boat straight after using these products

burleygu
16-02-2014, 08:57 AM
all superficial I would say however most of the marks look like they are coming off of the trailer so make sure they trailer is set up correctly for the boat Adam at caboolture can fix it all for you he will be sorting out the scuffs in the bottom of my haines shortly
Adam fibercraft marine 0410130887
Id suggest haggling the person down a bit to recover the repair costs to bring the boat back to where it should be. Its a buyers market for boats so the buyer always has the leverage if someone wants to sell

Blackened
16-02-2014, 10:15 AM
G'day

There's many people in Brisbane that specialize in these sort of repairs, to help you out for a DIY if you like, click here for what I've written a few years ago now.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?104589-Detailing-HOW-TO&highlight=detailing

Dave

Howso77
16-02-2014, 03:41 PM
Thanks guys for your responses.. It seems it's not the end of the world as far as repair just going to take some dollars. I'm pretty anal when it comes to looking after my boats so this isn't something I would just leave and put up with.. Thanks again..

rosco1974
16-02-2014, 07:07 PM
mate I got the yellowing of my rig the other weekend in bout 20 minutes had to do it twice in the tunnel but is all good now,used glitz,sprayed it on washed it off after 5 minutes then only had to to the worst areas again...might get dave to come polish my rig for me..feeling lazy

bigjimg
16-02-2014, 08:45 PM
Howso your trailer is destroying your hull. You will need to address the cause of that gel coat damage otherwise it will continue to happen.
Gel coat repairs do not come cheap and unless the cause is fixed you are wasting your money.
Arnolds Fibreglass Repairs at Hemmant are highly recommended if your from Brisbane.Jim.

chris69
16-02-2014, 08:53 PM
Id stay right away from that boat there are plenty of boat on the market with out rust stains comeing out from the keel.

honda900
17-02-2014, 04:07 PM
What he said ^^^^^ that first picture shows that they have had a go at repairing it before (badly), I think you might find more damage than you think..

Regards
HOnda.

Howso77
17-02-2014, 09:42 PM
Ok cheers guys. I'm not convinced it as bad as some of you might think. Certainly no rust coming out of the keel but yeah it isn't great and the trailer appears to be the culprit... I'll look into in greater detail and report back.