PDA

View Full Version : To keep a hook?

PeterKroll
11-02-2014, 04:20 PM
Now this might come across as a bit scungy, but I'm just rerigging my rigs, and I'm looking at the hooks that I just replaced. Gamakatsu heavy-duty 6/0 circle hooks. Both have caught a couple of fish, but no corrosion, and under a magnifying glass, the points look sharp. Feel sharp, too. In fact, they look new.

In my shoes, do you keep these expensive hooks to use again, and just toss them?

It's a bit different to using Mustad, where you could get a box of hooks for the price I'm now paying for one.

Bremic
11-02-2014, 04:34 PM
Definitely keep it. Don't be afraid to touch the point up with a stone if it isn't sharp, no need to heave them out.

robfish 1
11-02-2014, 08:17 PM
Yup...I echo Bremic's thoughts. The tensile strength should not have altered, as Gammies tend to snap rather than straighten. Using their circles on snapper, I've caught up to 10 fish before needing to retire them!

Nicko_Cairns
11-02-2014, 11:06 PM
I saw one guy that would use old rigs again without retying or washing the hooks it looked like, he was just asking to lose fish.

i use hooks again sometimes as long as there's no rust and I run the points over a small sharpening stone. I wash them and leave them to dry hanging over a piece of dowel, same with lures, works well.

PeterKroll
12-02-2014, 04:54 PM
Sounds good to me. I just pulled those hooks out of the rubbish bin. Just like finding 6 bucks on the ground (not the crab sort, although 6 bucks would be worth a lot more than six bucks.)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Scalem
13-02-2014, 09:42 PM
I carry a small spray bottle filled with fresh water in the side pocket. When finished for the days fishing the hook gets a spray, then the pointy end gets a piece of plastic tubing placed over the top. The plastic tubing is just long enough to stretch over the barb which will keep it there. Why? Unprotected hooks will find my boats upholstery, arms, hands... anything soft. I preserve the point as much as I can.... but mostly because my jigheads take a lot of time and effort to produce

Scalem