PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed on trailer

marto78
10-02-2014, 08:33 AM
Hi all I have a single axle Redco Sportsman trailer under my 5m cc tinny which we are planning to take up to Bathurst Bay later in the year.

I have been toying with the idea of adding a second axle to the trailer to help share the load especially which I'm told will be a bit of an advantage on the rough roads up there.

A few things I need to know before I go ahead with this.

1. Is there a minimum or maximum distance the axles have to be from each other?

2. Can I just bolt another axle behind the existing one (which has slipper springs) or do I need to buy a dedicated dual axle spring set up?

3. Will I need to get a compliance plate and another road worthy on the trailer when it is finished?

4. Any suggestions of where I can get all the bits and pieces from?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Marto

mowerman
11-02-2014, 08:47 PM
Hi Marto.

I did the same thing a couple of years back.
Sourced most of the parts from Active fabrications in Beenliegh.

This thread.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?176233-Trailer-rebuild-My-way

Rod

mowerman
11-02-2014, 09:01 PM
1. Is there a minimum or maximum distance the axles have to be from each other?
Far enough apart so the wheels dont rub together.

2. Can I just bolt another axle behind the existing one (which has slipper springs) or do I need to buy a dedicated dual axle spring set up?
You will need an axle setup and a set of slipper springs plus the spring hangers.
There will be some grinding and welding involved.
The current springs and axle will probably have to be moved forward.

3. Will I need to get a compliance plate and another road worthy on the trailer when it is finished?
I didnt. The load carrying capacity of the axle group was increased but I was not over the original ATM on the VIN plate.

4. Any suggestions of where I can get all the bits and pieces from?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Marto

Rod

marto78
11-02-2014, 09:11 PM
Thanks Rod that's the kind of info I am after.

Was it worth the effort?

Spin
11-02-2014, 10:25 PM
Go to a boat yard near you and look at trailers with dual axle setups
and get an idea form there
That way you can see what you might be up for
There is a few different ways you could go about it.

Dignity
13-02-2014, 08:43 PM
Marto for where you are going you will get away with a single axle but if upgrading I would install load sharing springs. The road in is nearly a highway now with the development proposed up there. You're not going with Col from Rollingstone by any chance.

fisho64
13-02-2014, 10:23 PM
you should keep the axles together as close as possibly-further apart means lots more scuffing of tyres during turns and harder to turn by hand also.

marto78
14-02-2014, 07:16 AM
Thanks for the replies guys but after talking to a few different people this week they have all convinced me that adding a second axle wouldn't make that much difference to a boat and trailer my size especially seeing as how there is only about 140km of dirt roads all up and half of that the boat isn't even on the trailer.

I am however going to refresh the trailer a bit with new springs and a few extra rollers along the keel to give the boat a bit more support.

Dignity I couldn't honestly say if it was the same trip as Col, he might be one of my uncles mates for all I know, but I do know we have blokes from Toowoomba, Brisbane, Mackay, Townesville and Tully all going up for the week.

Sent from my XOOM 2 using Tapatalk