PDA

View Full Version : Navman Trackfish 6507 problems

ZigZag
05-02-2014, 08:35 AM
I had a Navman Trackman 6507 installed on my brand new Haines Signature 500 RF some years ago and since then it has failed to work at boat speeds above 10 knots. The sounder just goes crazy i.e. reads in the thousands of feet and the fish finder just fades to zero . I just use the Gps to get to my fishing spots and once there stop the boat, wait for a while until the sounder and fish finder resets itself, then look around for the fish. I have had the boat back many times to the source but they have been unable to make the combo work consistently. I had plans to upgrade the system ( the 6507 model is no longer produced) but was advised that I should try again to get the present system working before purchasing a new system that may well have the same drop out problems . The problem may well be the position of the transducer as the boat has a wind channel ( for want of a better description) starting about half way along each side and angling , and flattening out, to the rear of the boat. This assists , so I am told, in lifting the boat and was a function on Haines ocean racing boats in the past. Several boating groups that I have taken to boat to have been reluctant to move the transducer further down the SVDH and have just lowered the transducer in its current position. I noticed a photo on the introduction to Scott's excellent thread that showed a SVDH hull with its transducer located about halfway down the slope and wondered if the system works well in that situation. In addition, is there any additional support for Chris's comment that the transducer performance could be improved by moving it to the Port side. Your advice in due course greatly appreciated.

Argle
05-02-2014, 09:24 AM
Looks to be way to high to me - that would explain losing the plot once you get up on the plane, the transducer is lifting clear of the water!

Attached a pic of mine - you can see how much further down towards the planing plank it sits.

Take it back to the dealer and tell them to fix the damn thing or you will get someone else to do it and send them the bill!

Cheers

Fed
05-02-2014, 10:09 AM
If the wind channel is a slot that goes from the chine to the planing plank then I'd mount the transducer right beside the bung.
Check the height of the AV plate first to make sure it's not too high, if your motor is mounted high you might then suffer from ventilation off the transducer.

bigjimg
05-02-2014, 05:57 PM
G'day zigzag
I think you will be getting a lot of disturbed water coming off that tunnel.
The transducer will need to move toward centre of the keel, ideally between the shoulder of the planning plank and the strake that terminates approx. amid ships.
This will give you the cleanest water. Jim

rainbow runner
05-02-2014, 08:11 PM
Have a look at the Airmar site

There are numerous instructions/guides for the setup of transducers on their website for transom mounted outboard installations

ZigZag
05-02-2014, 08:56 PM
Hi gentlemen, thanks for the advice. It is obvious that the location of my transducer is so bad as to be embarassing. I will take your suggestions to my new boat shop and commence corrective action. Like that well known soldier once said .. I shall return !

ZigZag
08-02-2014, 03:12 PM
Hello again. Well the boat shop adjusted the position ofd my sounder ( without yet moving the brackets) and the results although quite surprising are not yet up to acceptable standards. The move resulted in the 6507 holding the bottom at several speeds although the engine had to be tilted up one line past the half way point.
as good as that is, i can't go around at such speed and with the motor tilted up !@

This shows the slow down from 15 knots to 5.

Cant remember where the tilt was for that one.

Still some work to do so will try it now without the foil and see how I go.

Thanks again for your help.

ps I give up. Sometimes my pics show up. They are showing now in this mode but when I post they only show a link and not every one can see them. HELP !!

Fed
08-02-2014, 03:32 PM
Use the go advanced button to post then use the manage attachment button to upload your pictures from your computer to ausfish.

ZigZag
08-02-2014, 03:52 PM
Hi Fed .. thanks for the advice now do you know how I can delete a post of mine ????

Aussie123
08-02-2014, 03:57 PM
If the tranny is working better with the motor trimmed out it is most likely an incorrect angle in the tranny.
Lower the back end of the tranny and see how that goes.

ZigZag
08-02-2014, 04:51 PM
Hi Aussie ... thanks for that. I will add that suggestion to my list.

Fed
09-02-2014, 11:12 AM
Is your 'wind channel' this slot?

ZigZag
09-02-2014, 03:23 PM
Hi Fed .. yes that is the one. I don't know the correct name for is so just used the term wind channel.

Fed
10-02-2014, 05:46 AM
I think you're going to struggle getting good results with the transducer mounted anywhere on the sloping part of the hull.

bigjimg
10-02-2014, 07:40 PM
I am with you Fed. I reckon you will find it very difficult Zig Zag to get a good reading with that hull design. Sure you will get a nice soft ride but all that aerated water will play havoc with your tranny.
Best going for a thru-hull on the planning plank or one of those special brackets that enable the tranny to be set deeper in the water. Jim

ZigZag
10-02-2014, 10:31 PM
Thanks Fed and Bigjimg... you may be right. As I indicated somewhere previously, I have seen several Haines boats on here with the transducers mounted about half way down the slope .. my slope is curved a bit more so it may not translate correctly and I must recognise, the boats were a bigger models to mine. I have had the Signature out to sea today and the results I obtained were similar to those from the river test. There is about half an inch still left below the current bracket location so I am going to see my boat shop about drilling some more holes and moving the transducer down another half an inch before actually trying to relocate the whole device. Conditions were not real favourable for a good test today but the unit provided all that I asked of it so that made me feel pretty happy with it. Try as I might, I could not make it lose the depth facility that used to drive me bonkers. So its onwards ever onwards to get the best result I can.
( and , importantly, knowing it when I see it !!)