PDA

View Full Version : Squidding Fun- Report

BentRod
04-02-2014, 08:27 PM
TORRES STRAIT SQUIDDING REPORT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTfdzWwetZk
Well the Mrs and I have started our new teaching jobs here on Thursday Island. Having worked/lived here before I was keen to try some old spots but the weather has been a little unsettled. Finally got a good day but decided to chase squid instead as they are thick this time of year. With the rest of the crew failing to show up due to a big night it was just myself and my Deputy Principal.

With a nice incoming tide I went to an area with plenty of weed beds and trolled some squid jigs behind the boat..knocking the boat in and out of gear to allow them to sink. Once we caught a few and worked out a bit of an area they started to come aboard although we still lost plenty (loose drags are required). Walked a beach and casted out towards weed beds and simply wound in. It wasn't usual to have 2-3 squid fighting over the jig. It was a relaxing morning as we went to the water falls to cool off.

Caught 23 in total with a few more buried somewhere on the beach :) Been enjoying calamari for a couple of days now and another bonus is the heads make excellent baits for chasing reefies. Made the error of telling everyone where I caught them so no doubt there will be a few more boats when I take the Mrs to catch a couple this weekend.

Cheers!!!

therapy
06-02-2014, 04:22 PM
Looks like a magic place Bentrod and now I know what you meant buy a couple buried! Lol.. Looking forward to plenty more reports in the future but just a tip, put them in the estuary reports section and allot more people will view and appreciate them. Keep them coming!! ( just slightly jealous!!)

Cheers..Terry...