PDA

View Full Version : Tangalooma Moorings

kiwimex
04-02-2014, 07:33 PM
I thinking bout taking a few trips over to tangalooma and would like to leave the boat on one of their moorings overnight! Has anyone used their moorings before? anything special about their moorings? anything we need to know ahead of time?

Im taking a nice big stainless chain and lock to give me a little piece of mind while I sleep to loop through the mooring eye.

Cheers

Steve

Boab Bribie
04-02-2014, 07:50 PM
Hi Steve, I don't have the number handy but you can hire a mooring over there for around $25/per night we recommend our hires to do this when they overnight at Tangas with the CC. Just try and get a hold of the resort and they will point you in the right direction. Like you said it is peace of mind on a mooring rather than dropping the pick. BOAB BRIBIE Jase

Te Whiti
04-02-2014, 08:15 PM
Steve,

Ask for Brad at Tangatours, next to the pub at the resort. He runs the operation and will sort you out a mooring.
Nothing special about them from memory. He will give you a few tips on how to do it safely.

Mark

kiwimex
04-02-2014, 09:53 PM
Thanks for the replies, I have already sorted out a booking I just wanted to get some hands on information to put my mind at ease.

Triple
04-02-2014, 09:55 PM
How much a night is it for the mooring? I can't find prices anywhere...

kiwimex
05-02-2014, 06:04 AM
I was quoted $35 for the first night then $15 or $20 each night after that.

ozscott
05-02-2014, 09:18 AM
What is the best way to use such a mooring? Where are they located in relation to the jetty or wrecks etc?

Cheers

kiwimex
05-02-2014, 10:35 AM
I have been advised they just have a large eye you can pick up with your boat hook, then you feed your own line / chain through the eye. In my case I intend to use a few meters of chain with both a D shackle and a padlock. The moorings I assume are the ones located between the jetty and the wrecks.

Oceanranger24
05-02-2014, 03:53 PM
Hi Kiwimex, though Tanga can be wild in a westerly... and you do not want to be there in such conditions, the rest of the time it is more of a millpond than rough. Even in a 20 knot SE, it is calm enough to waterski there. Just be sure to have a good sand anchor, good chain and rope, chuck it out and enjoy. It is a beautiful piece of the world and when 200 boats pull up there at christmas time with just their anchors, it shows its pretty good.
Just be aware that SW W and NW winds make for a lousy night so don't go on such days. Phil

Almako
05-02-2014, 05:18 PM
Well I never knew you could hire them, huh.

seatime
06-02-2014, 06:33 PM
I didn't know you were allowed to hire a mooring, doesn't sound right?

Triple
06-02-2014, 06:59 PM
I would like to see the paper trail as to what permits are required and what needs approval to place your own mooring in the bay and then be able to rent them out..

Oceanranger24
07-02-2014, 08:53 AM
I have been a timeshare owner at Tangalooma for 25 years. The current line of moorings have been there for about 10 years and were installed and are maintained by Tangalooma resort as part of the resort infrastructure. Not sure as to the legalities. As the resort caters to boats as well as ferry passengers, it is logical they provide safe moorings.

having had a boat over there for 2 weeks every year, seen many disasters and having always avoided them, there are a few essential guidelines to follow
1) use a sand anchor NOT a plow
2 use a modest chain
3 use a nylon rope, not silver as it has more stretch
4 somehow avoid having the rope saw itself through on the bow roller if it has to cope with many hours of hammering in the waves on the beach
5 I remove the sexy stainless bow roller assemblies from my boats as they invariably have a good cutting edge which is guaranteed to chafe through anything but steel cable or chain
6 do NOT use only chain. it will destroy your boat as well as drag the anchor
7 consider a 1 size anchor bigger than is standard. Do not go too big. They lose holding if too big and don't set right
8 back up and set the anchor
9 leave boat, go to bar buy 1 beer,1 pie and pull out a towel and have a snooze under a palm tree... ok 2 beers :)
phil

phil

Neil2903
22-03-2014, 01:06 PM
G'day fellow boaties. We're new to this site and find it really useful.

We have been boating in a bow rider for about 5 years and recently upgraded to a Four winns 28foot Vista and love it.

We had a similar question. We've spent a few sleepless nights out at Tiplers but are becoming more confident (i think I slept for a whole hour last weekend!!!).

We were thinking of an Easter Trip from the Gold Coast to Tangalooma.

My questions is - is it calmer nearer the wrecks or should we get a mooring? We've got both a sand anchor and plough (plough as standard on these boats). From the advice above - the sand achor would be the better one to use.

If we get a mooring - will we need to get a special chain? Or can we use a normal rope that we use to tie onto a jetty? If chain - how should we attach it to the boat?

Or should we go back to Tiplers?

Thanks

Neil.

TheRealAndy
22-03-2014, 02:51 PM
Anchoring up in the wrecks overnight is the last place you want to be. Heaps of current flowing through there and all the boats swing on their anchors differently depending in tide, current and wind. Plus, the overnight land breeze makes it lumpy.

Best place to spend the night is the blue hole. Luncinda Bay can be pretty good provide you get in the lee of the sand bars, but you still get the over night land breeze rollers banging through there too. Big sandhills is also ok too. I prefer to dry the boat out overnight, so if you got a deep V a couple of those really large fenders are a good thing to put under the boat as the tide runs out.

kiwimex
22-03-2014, 03:28 PM
G'day fellow boaties. We're new to this site and find it really useful.

We have been boating in a bow rider for about 5 years and recently upgraded to a Four winns 28foot Vista and love it.

We had a similar question. We've spent a few sleepless nights out at Tiplers but are becoming more confident (i think I slept for a whole hour last weekend!!!).

We were thinking of an Easter Trip from the Gold Coast to Tangalooma.

My questions is - is it calmer nearer the wrecks or should we get a mooring? We've got both a sand anchor and plough (plough as standard on these boats). From the advice above - the sand achor would be the better one to use.

If we get a mooring - will we need to get a special chain? Or can we use a normal rope that we use to tie onto a jetty? If chain - how should we attach it to the boat?

Or should we go back to Tiplers?

Thanks

Neil.

The moorings at Tangalooma are the way to go! No special rope or chain needed, the mooring I used a few weeks ago had too lines with large eyes in them. I attached 3 lines through the eye, one each to my port and starboard forward cleat then an additional line to my trailering eye (just as an extra safety). It can be a bit of a swim ashore at high tide tho, unless you have a little dinghy be prepared to get wet. I dropped everyone off and all our gear then moored the boat and swam ashore, the next morning I paid $5 to tangalooma water sports to use one of their kayaks to get back out to the boat ( I didn't fancy an early morning swim).

All in all you get a better nights sleep when the boat is on a mooring.

Cheers

Steve