PDA

View Full Version : something new to me could you please help thankyou.

gr hilly
03-02-2014, 12:53 PM
G,day all,i have in the past had a steering wheel and power steering,now i have a little 4.2 tinny with a 30 hp tiller steer and it pulls my arm off how do i stop this from happening with out using a boat yard to fix it,any hint will head me in the right direction my left arm is killing me thanks .Hilly

Gazza
03-02-2014, 01:00 PM
change hands....;D :-X

maybe just tighten steering tensioner ,and check motor is properly centered
(shouldn't be a direct issue on tiller-steering)

No Tiller
03-02-2014, 01:33 PM
Under the cav plate there should be a sacrificial anode with a keel on the bottom undo bolt and move this. It will counter the prop torque only at speed though.

Agrav8_and_Lulu
03-02-2014, 01:48 PM
Hi Hilly, I've got the same set up. I had the same issue, I tightened the steering tension as Gazza said. That helped a bit, it slowed down the movement. I also adjusted the trim tab, it was always wanting to go starboard so the arm was sore just trying to keep a straight line.

All of which worked, but I found out it was due to my arm as well. I was using muscles that I didn't use regular, you have to condition yourself. After a while it started to come good and now it's not an issue.

Darren

GBC
03-02-2014, 02:00 PM
Get the trim sorted for your cruise speed. Your leg is trimmed in or out too far for the speed you are travelling at mate.

Camhawk88
03-02-2014, 03:38 PM
Get some weights, do some shoulder presses and toughen up.:beer:

Alternatively the info offered here is on the money- adjust trim tab so it is running straight and not pulling one way or the other, ensure trim height is correct- steering should be light when trimmed correctly. Then once that is all good, then tighten up the steering tensioner. Also trying to keep the weight distributed well will help keep the boat on an even keel and make it easier to steer.

Darren Mc
03-02-2014, 06:04 PM
If your steering pulls to port turn the the rear edge of the trim tab to port and vice versa.
I'm pretty sure that's the way it goes. If not, I'm sure someone will correct me.

Noelm
03-02-2014, 06:40 PM
When adjusting the little tab, it works the reverse of what you think, because you adjust it to steer the motor, not the boat, so think about for a second and adjust it a bit at a time.

LittleSkipper
03-02-2014, 07:41 PM
G,day all,i have in the past had a steering wheel and power steering,now i have a little 4.2 tinny with a 30 hp tiller steer and it pulls my arm off how do i stop this from happening with out using a boat yard to fix it,any hint will head me in the right direction my left arm is killing me thanks .Hilly

So hilly, may I ask why you reverted from steering/power steering to tiller steering?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chong
03-02-2014, 11:11 PM
Hilly,
install one of these if u don't already have one and will make a big improvement.
Cheers

tunaticer
04-02-2014, 06:52 PM
Careful with the foils on a small boat, turned my 4.1m tinny into a wallowing toad. Took it off and it is back to normal.

Chong
04-02-2014, 07:00 PM
Careful with the foils on a small boat, turned my 4.1m tinny into a wallowing toad. Took it off and it is back to normal.

I've put them on all my tinnies from 15hp / 3.75m to 40hp / 4.2m, never had a problem and always improved performance.
I think they are great.
Cheers

gr hilly
04-02-2014, 10:11 PM
i found my 19 c Haines Hunter getting to hard to manage as i approached 60,so i sold it and cried and standing on a boat ramp one day an old mate pulled up with his new 4.2 tinny with a 30 hp merc on it, we talked and he said jump in and we had a quick 5 hour fishing session.i was wrapped with his new boat so i went straight down to the same boat yard and bought one the same after getting my left arm stretched for 15 hrs i had trouble pull starting it as i got week from my sickness so i traded my motor in for an electric start ahh easy now but my arm is still getting longer and that gents is why i ask thank you for time and help i will go through the above changes and find out wich one fixes my problem .cheers Hilly

GBC
05-02-2014, 05:41 AM
The better way to remedy is to upgrade to a power trim and tilt 30h.p. So you can find a sweet spot no matter what speed you are doing.

Shawn 66
05-02-2014, 05:52 AM
I've put them on all my tinnies from 15hp / 3.75m to 40hp / 4.2m, never had a problem and always improved performance.
I think they are great.
Cheers
Have one on my 40hp 4 stroke / 4.2mtr boat .
Best thing I ever did.
Shawn

aussiebasser
05-02-2014, 06:48 AM
It may be that the motor is tucked in too far, this can cause some pretty annoying pressure on the tiller. Without Power Trim it will be hard to stop. You can try playing with the sacrificial anode and see if it improves. You could also try lifting your motor if you have any adjustment in the bolts holding it on. A foil may help hole shot, but at top speed it should be out of the water and therefore not have any affect at all. If you do get a foil, do not get a Stingray brand. SE Sport is the best as it does not have a pronounced down turn at the rear, which can cause the nose of the boat to be too low.

gr hilly
05-02-2014, 07:59 AM
tHE LITTLE TAB SOUNDS LIKE THE PROBLEM AS BOTH NEW MOTORS HAD THE SAME PROBLEM however the first moter was a Merk and the second is a Tohatsu the same motor i have been told,allthough the second seams to go harder and is more quite.cheers Hilly.