PDA

View Full Version : Oil for Power trim and tilit. Yamaha 30 4 stroke.

Scott Ashe
02-02-2014, 07:18 PM
Hi All,

Had a great Morning with my new pots at Macleay Island. We picked up couple of really good quality Sandies, and the biggest Wobbygong Shark I had ever seen.

My question is came home and cleaned my boat all good, and we tarped it and put it around the side of the house on the gravel where it lives and trimmed motor just up a touch so it didn't hit the gravel as always.

I went out came home and motor was now touching gravel. How do I check the hydrolic oil for the power trim and tilt and or what oil do I buy. My motor was serviced in July 2013 its a 30 4 stroke Yam.

Cheers
Scott

swallin
02-02-2014, 09:24 PM
First check would be to see that the manual release valve is closed tightly.
Unless that valve is loose it is relatively unlikely for the design of your trim/tilt unit to bleed down all by itself.

It should be on the starboard side with an image of a screwdriver and arrow.
Turn clockwise to tighten and anti clockwise to loosen.

Next job would be to trim engine all the way up and look for leaks - if it really is low on oil and wont trim then loosen the manual release and lift the leg. Much easier on a 30 than a 250!!!!!

On the single piston shared trim and tilt ram (as yours will be) there are essentially only four seals to the outside world that can leak.
1/ The shaft seal about the piston (multiple o-ring seals).
2/ Where the electric motor is bolted onto the trim/tilt unit (single large o-ring seal).
3/ The manual release valve (flat oil seal washer)
4/ The fill point (flat oil seal washer)

Yammie TT units are generally pretty idiot proof until they rust out. They cope with oil weeps for some time without bleeding down as yours seems to be doing.

If you do infact need to replace the oil ATF (auto trans fluid) or hydraulic oil will do the job but for the volumes needed and if you have a yammie dealer near by just get whatever Mr Yamaha puts in a 1L bottle.

Steve