PDA

View Full Version : Small rod holder bait board, Are they any good?

kiwimex
29-01-2014, 05:30 PM
Hi all, does anyone use one of the small bait boards that mount into a single rod holder? I was just wondering how stable they are can you recommend a brand?

Cheers

Steve

NArmstrong
29-01-2014, 05:56 PM
I have one from bcf. It's rubbish. I used it once then threw it in the shed. It used a friction clamp for the table/post join to help set the angle, but no matter how hard u turn it, u can still move the table if u put a little wait on the edge.

kiwimex
29-01-2014, 06:04 PM
Thats was exactly my concern with them especially only mounting via 1 rod holder.

Cheers

Steve

I have one from bcf. It's rubbish. I used it once then threw it in the shed. It used a friction clamp for the table/post join to help set the angle, but no matter how hard u turn it, u can still move the table if u put a little wait on the edge.

Tangles
29-01-2014, 09:03 PM
On my previous boat i tried something similar which fitted into a single rod holder, total waste of time, check out Baitmate, i think they do something similar with options, it may fit the bill

scorpo92
29-01-2014, 09:23 PM
I just monted some ply and 3 sides to my fish esky. Sits in the middleof my boat and can still use it coz the sides keep everything on.

NAGG
30-01-2014, 07:32 AM
I had one on my previous boat - a waste of time & money if it's something you would use often as you are constantly fighting them (adjusting) .

Dignity
30-01-2014, 11:05 PM
I tried one, as soon as I got it home tried it out and took it straight back. Flopped all over the place with very little weight or pressure on it, you would have to make a couple of supports on either side to sit on the transom for it to be any good.

Noelm
31-01-2014, 08:37 AM
I guess to be 100% fair, they are made for small tinnies and stuff like that, they were never designed to cut half a Tuna up on, or fillet a big Spanish, for simple baits used in lakes and so on, they are OK, look for one that has the cone shaped gizmo that slides down the "leg" to wedge in the rod holder, that helps to keep it sort of firm, and also one that has notches in the adjustable clamp thing, not just smooth surfaces.

deckie
31-01-2014, 10:39 AM
If u do end up with one of those rod holder mount types be aware they can "go missing". Came home in a bit of a lumpy sea once many moons ago and when i looked back the transom area looked a bit different...bugging me for a bit. Wasnt till i got to flat water i realised what was missing from the picture. Didnt think it was possible but hey...and cost me my favorite knives. hated the silly thing from the moment i bght it, but it was a bit loose in hindsight and the newer ones with a chock that jams it into the holder might be better. Wouldnt bother tho.
If it doesnt have at least two mounting points it will never be strong/stable.