PDA

View Full Version : Kevlacat

hilta1
28-01-2014, 04:23 PM
Has anybody heard if the new owners have started production yet? if so what is the finish etc like? are the same fibreglass guys there etc? Any 2012 2013 2400 models for sale anywhere? Would like to upgrade mine this year, I would go the 2400 Noosacat but not quite enough room in the cabin, I need to put rods etc up the front and lock up while trailering stopovers.

Smithy
28-01-2014, 07:55 PM
As far as I know they have a shed setup in Yandina and in the sale they ended up with some half finished boats so they are finishing them off and some cash will start rolling in for them straight away.

Moonlighter
28-01-2014, 09:32 PM
Look up Seatrek boats at Caloundra. If you like Kevlacats then you will like the Seatrek cats even more.

Short Fuse
28-01-2014, 10:58 PM
Smithy is on the money.

My understanding is that 6 of the staff who were working for the old company are now working for the new owners in the new location.

Given that they are using the same moulds with the same crew, new product will be pretty much comparable to what has been produced in recent years. I have been told that they will only be doing standard production boats in future, and will not do any customisation.

That may change though. You should be able to find contact phone numbers by now either though the internet or via Telstra help.

Cheers

Jeff

Lovey80
29-01-2014, 03:09 AM
I hope they make some significant design changes to the cabins before they start the new production models.

fly_1
30-01-2014, 11:17 AM
Why lovely, what's wrong with the cabins???
i have a 2800 and wouldn't change anything re the cabin....a few other things, maybe,but not the cabin layout.

hilta1
30-01-2014, 01:18 PM
yes I have the 2400 already and there isn't realy anything in the cabin area that needs changing,the only things I want to change are I want a walk through transom, a built in transducer,and a couple of other minor things, will all depend on what price new is and what I can get for mine, hard to justify spending too much when there is nothing wrong with what I have, see what the pricing comes in at.

Smithy
01-02-2014, 08:58 AM
Al's Seatreks are only 5.9m and mostly run 115s. If you don't go another KC I guess your only other main options in glass are the NCs and maybe the Coastal Cats. Bob does 7m Coastal Cats as half cabs, centre cabs and centre consoles. He is in the same industrial estate as Al in Moffet Beach at Caloundra but in Grigor St West. The beaut thing with them if you can get him out of semi retirement to build one is they can be fully custom. Very popular with the commercial fishermen here as he can make them with fish holds in each hull with flush decks. No pods but designed with centre walkways/fishing platforms between the motors. The pro I fished with for a bit had a 6m one and with deck eskies aboard for big trips and he could put 400-600kg of mackerel aboard plus associated ice and he ran just twin 80 Suzukis. Day to day, 200kg of mackerel plus maybe 100kg of ice would fit flush under the floor. Brisbane on this forum commented on a prior cat thread and he rated the Coastal Cat yet he had worked his way up to a 3100 NC. There are a fair few 2700NCs around here which people rate but they are overweight for Landcruisers to tow even with the best alloy trailers under them and are Chevy/F Truck territory.

lutjanus
02-02-2014, 11:24 AM
There is a 7m Coastal Cat -Wide version which is a great boat-- Advertised on Boat Sales. Its a pretty late model with all the goodies for about half new cost

Cat Man
04-02-2014, 07:52 PM
For anyone's interest, the first of the Voyager V625 Sportfish now being built under contract at Haines Signature is about to roll out the door, and is also available with enclosed hardtop option. It' a bit under 7mt but good for up to six aboard ad only 2.5 to 3 ton BMT loaded.

Pazz01
05-02-2014, 08:57 AM
What is something like that worth? Looks smick.

Pazz

Cat Man
05-02-2014, 05:21 PM
What is something like that worth? Looks smick.

Pazz

Not trying to do sales here, just help, but to answer your question around $85-$125k. (This one about $95 BMT.)

Any detail enquiries best go via web site.

hilta1
05-02-2014, 06:14 PM
So does anyone know anything about Kevlacat?

kaypee
05-02-2014, 06:29 PM
Seen a pic of a new 2400 they've just rolled out.. Looks the same except has a walk thru transom..

hilta1
05-02-2014, 07:31 PM
That sounds interesting, one thing on this one is a must is a walkout transom, I finaly got a response from them and have emailed off for some pricing, if Al Broughton built a 2400 I would have one of his in a heartbeat, will be interesting to see how long mine would take to sell seems to be a few on boatsales that are taking a while to sell and they don't seem overpriced.

Lovey80
06-02-2014, 02:32 AM
Why lovely, what's wrong with the cabins???
i have a 2800 and wouldn't change anything re the cabin....a few other things, maybe,but not the cabin layout.

On a boat that starts at well over 100k as an entry model you can't even get full glass windows and side sliders. Half glass and crap clears that don't last a year before you can't see through them anymore. Take a look at any decent plate boats made here and any glass cat in the states and you can get full glass in nearly all of them.

Cat Man
06-02-2014, 01:54 PM
On a boat that starts at well over 100k as an entry model you can't even get full glass windows and side sliders. Half glass and crap clears that don't last a year before you can't see through them anymore. Take a look at any decent plate boats made here and any glass cat in the states and you can get full glass in nearly all of them.

Could this do the trick for some ?

Lovey80
06-02-2014, 02:02 PM
Catman that is a big leap up from anything you can get in a 2400KC or smaller.

Out of every cat (or mono) I have seen, the Galcier Bay 2680 and 2685 cats have the best cabin and bunk layout I have ever seen. For me they are the benchmark.

What's the new price on a V625???

Chimo
06-02-2014, 02:12 PM
How much for the white 625? Probably nicer to drive than the 930 which I found to be a bit of a truck even with a pair of 200HP Yams on it.

Cheers
Chimo

Cat Man
06-02-2014, 03:04 PM
Lovey80 - Standard "Sportfish" around $85-90k on trailer with twin 90s, plus electronics etc. Enclosed hardtop about $8k more.
Email for details if interested. Chimo - 0 to 35knts in 10secs. with 90's. Not sure which is 'white' boat you refer to? Could be the base model "Classic" ?

Chimo
06-02-2014, 03:23 PM
Catman

Perhaps I should have said "a" plain white hull as opposed to coloured such as blue sides which IMHO is a pain to keep good with fade issues not to mention the odd scratch. Will the 625 carry 115HPs without two or three getting wet feet when fishing?

C
C

Cat Man
06-02-2014, 03:46 PM
Rated to twin 115s with max weight of 400kg for both. Rules out Honda 115s but most others OK. Coloured hull currently $1k dearer.

hilta1
06-02-2014, 05:53 PM
So is it the same size as a 2400 kevlacat ??? looks a bit small to what I am looking for. Can you post some photos of your 2400 and some inside shots as well please. Windows don't look like they slide???

Cat Man
06-02-2014, 08:39 PM
You're quite right hilta1. A bit smaller than KC2400 but bigger than 2100. Not suggesting as alternative to 2400, just another option for those looking for a good usable cat but with less weight, lower cost, or enclosed hardtop, or all.

hilta1
06-02-2014, 08:55 PM
So have you got an equivalent to the 2400?? as that was what my post was asking about, I would be interested to have a look if you have.

Cat Man
06-02-2014, 10:05 PM
Sorry, my mistake, and No. It has never been our desire to compete at every level within the cat market, but rather to expand it by providing other options to tempt people away from monos.

kaypee
06-02-2014, 10:13 PM
If I didn't have my 2100 I'd have a good look at em for sure CatMan.. That enclosed hardtop looks awesome and I see in a magazine the they have stand up headroom in the cab.. Make a weekender version and I'm sold!

Hilta.. What's the main driver for the 2400?? You seem well driven for that size??

Cat Man
06-02-2014, 10:34 PM
Kaypee - Have one in R&D now "Getaway". What would you (or anyone - input welcome) see as important in that configuration?

kaypee
06-02-2014, 11:00 PM
Sorry to pinch your thread there hilta. Maybe we should start another..
But.. I for one love my 2100 KC. And personally I think they are a secret weapon that gets overlooked far to easily. I regularly go in it and a 2400 offshore and more often than not we take the 2100.. Why? Because you can still sleep 2 comfortably, walk thru transom, it's easier to tow, and it a heap better on fuel, and easier to drive while being more responsive. That is coming from the 2400 owner too..

As I have a million ideas for a 6m weekender I'll pm you and leave hilta alone!!
Cheers

hilta1
07-02-2014, 06:08 AM
No problem kapee, the main reason on the 2400 is I already have one and find that the size suits what we do, usualy there are 3 or 4 on board,4 lots of scuba gear and spare tanks as well as fishing gear, I don't reckon the smaller cats you are talking about would have the deck room I need, also not sure how they would handle that sort of weight and still perform??? I suppose CATMAN could send one my way for a few months as a demo boat so I could try it to see how it handles my loads etc. NOW that would be some good advertising for them wouldn't it! I would be interested to see some inside photos etc of the voyagers and some internal measurements

kaypee
07-02-2014, 08:12 AM
Haha and I think just to get another opinion.. One should be sent north too :)
Yeah I see your point. Unfortunately for you, as you said, not a real good time to sell.
good luck

Cat Man
07-02-2014, 08:48 AM
Now if you had mentioned it to Santa?? Probably a bit small for you hilta1 with all that dive gear. Demo "SportsFish" nearing completion and will be available for trial soon, or see at Tinnie & Tackle Show in April.

Chimo
07-02-2014, 10:15 AM
Here is the divers boat, all set up and ready to go http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=15977968&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=5&eapi=2

hilta1
07-02-2014, 02:01 PM
Catman, How do we know its to small??? come on let me put it through its paces, could break into the Ab market down here!!! Ab divers love cats down here and a pretty one like yours could get there attention, We are on the water around 600 hours a year between Tasmania,Port Stephens, 1770 and will be on the sunshine coast/ 1770 area for 3 months May June July this year would be good exposure for a demo boat that is easy to tow those distances, also it could feature on some photos on my sons site "underwater photography Tasmania" on Facebook. You could just win me to come down a size in boats, maybe!!!!

hilta1
07-02-2014, 05:30 PM
Umm, Cat got ya tongue CATMAN????lol

Cat Man
07-02-2014, 10:47 PM
Figured you were just taking the piss hilta1. Didn't think 'underwater photos' of the hull would be such great advertising. Ha Ha! Happy to give you as much info as wanted, but probably best by email if interested. Thanks for your feedback.

Aussie123
07-02-2014, 11:39 PM
Cat Man are you Derek Appleton from Voyager Catamarans

hilta1
08-02-2014, 06:49 AM
Catman we do actually need a boat to get to the Underwater spots ! therefore the kevlacat does get featured in some photos we do. Also since your into free advertising at any opportunity I thought you may be interested.

Cat Man
08-02-2014, 10:48 AM
That's the one, so who is Aussie123? My apologies hilta1, Did end up side tracking your thread answering questions but not intended as 'advertising', just informative - Guess that probably is advertising when you think about it?

hilta1
08-02-2014, 11:05 AM
No Problems mate, but seriously would like to have a run in your cats at some stage, if it does what I want a boat to do I would give it some serious consideration, maybe if it is to small for now could be a good thing if I want to down size.

soulfish
08-02-2014, 10:28 PM
Well done Derek what a great boat you have created....ticks heaps of boxes in my opinion.
I think a walk out transom with a thigh high rail set up would be a good addition as i use it a lot on my noosacat to fish off & makes the cockpit bigger & more useable
Are your underfloor kill tanks insulated so they can hold ice & fish?
Looking forward to having a close up look at tinnie & tackle show , have a good mate that is chomping at the bit to crawl over it ,he's cashed up & sick of being beaten to death in his mono