PDA

View Full Version : Pride cheetah transom anyone done one ?

Lsboyyy
28-01-2014, 10:37 AM
Hi my names lee , just wanting some advice I've done some searching on here and found some great info but not my specific boat , I have a pride cheetah and the ply floor has rotted out good from rear to around steering wheel (the stringers are all glass which is a bonus) , I've cut random patches of fibre glass out and most of the floor is gone , I also cut some transom fibre out , it's not rotten but absolutely soaked so won't be far behind I assume , I'm wondering has anyone done a floor transom fit out on one of these I have very little experience but nothing to loose as it ain't worth squat so I'm gunna give it a go , is the best way to take the top off the hull ? (But I know this has its consequences with warping ect ) As I can't see any other way as the rear section looks all one peice all info greatly appreciated
Lee

Lsboyyy
28-01-2014, 11:57 AM
I have seen videos of ppl making a cut a couple of feet from transom and just rejoining it but would this still be a strong option and it ends up looking pretty bad ???

Blackened
28-01-2014, 01:39 PM
G'day

That method you are talking about, is cutting trhe deck mold a few ft from the rear and removing it, will be just as strong as the original and how good it will look depends on how good your prep and color matching skills are.

Dave

Lsboyyy
28-01-2014, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the reply , my skills with fibre glass and wood aren't the best I've always been a metal kinda person but I'm still going to give it a crack , I've read plenty of threads on here now and get how to do the transom it's just rejoin the splash bath I think it's called ? Is the bit that concerns me , when u put it back together u just lay mat on the top rail of the boat , sand and repaint ? Doesn't seem that strong to me ?

Timbo1980
28-01-2014, 03:39 PM
I redid a transom and stringers on a Haines hunter, different hull but its the same process. There is a magazine going around the newsagents which covers the process, well worth a read. I know you said it worth nothing, but it will end up cost a grand or two in materials, so is it worth it??? There are two methods, one you describe of cutting part of the top deck off at the rear to allow good access and leaving the exterior gelcoat in place (I did this method). Or doing it from the outside and matching up the gelcoat to the same colour, or repainting the whole hull.
While I enjoyed doing my project, the costs ad up, you need the room, and more then double t amount of time you think it will take and cost.
Its not a hard process, I had no fibreglass experience when I started, very dusty, get a good dust mask and I hope you get on with your neighbours.
Let me know how you go

burleygu
28-01-2014, 06:33 PM
do it from the outside. quick and easy in my opinion no big deal if you have a shiny new white transom shows its been done

odes20
28-01-2014, 07:30 PM
I've done several from the outside and they have big 175 Suzy 4 strokes hanging on them for years now not a hint of a crack. I helped a bloke on a thread here cupla years ago, I will find it and send it too you
go to this thread. Wet Transom / Replacement help as it has a lot of detail and my input on how to do from the outside
Cheers

Lsboyyy
28-01-2014, 07:36 PM
Thanks for the reply timbo , I think it is worth it I've had fun out if it the way it sits , the whole thing started when I was pulling the engine off to upgrade to newer model (havnt got engine yet) when I noticed the problem ,it's a long story but I essentially go the boat for nothing the transom is in a lot better condition then the floor anyway so I have cut most of the floor out too , what is that magazine you mentioned I'd like to have a look?????? , gee 2k for parts seems to be a lot for some fibre glass resin ply ect ??? As I already have nearly all tools I need , lol the neighbors will be right and I have decent space to do it to , so yeh might get into it next w.e or the one after I'm keep you posted

odes20
28-01-2014, 07:39 PM
Read. Wet Transom / Replacement help. This thread has heaps of detail about what to do and not do from outside
cheers

Lsboyyy
28-01-2014, 07:50 PM
I will give that a read thanks ppl , I think I'll have to go with the inside option as the floor has to come out ?

burleygu
29-01-2014, 07:29 AM
from the outside.
cut out transom leaving 50mm lip all around clean out all timber and sand inner transom wall. cut out new timber for transom and test fit until happy glue timber in with resin/bog mix use old transom skin and resin bog mix onto new timber in transom grind out all your joins to allow for a good overlap then fiberglass outer skin and glass over top of transom. sand and fair transom ready for gelcoat then gelcoat.

Timbo1980
29-01-2014, 01:20 PM
I think it was by Jeff Webster, I can't find my copy at the moment. With cost, it will depend on how big the repair is, I re did the transom and all the stringers and floor, so it adds up. If I were to just do a transom I would have done it from the outside.
So you need to think of what cloth you are using 450g CSM,and some woven cloth is what used. Buy in bulk its cheaper, I used polyester resin. I also added floatation foam. When you buy ply wood buy in large sheets, I used normal ply I didn't use marine ply , the way I see it is its sealed by the resin. I also repainted the whole hull when I finished, 2pak outside and flow coat inside with splatter.