PDA

View Full Version : fishing from boat ramp jetties

NAGG
26-01-2014, 11:42 AM
I thought I'd brave the forecast yesterday & launch at Fishermans Is for a river fish - well by the time we collected some livies and settled on our spot - we virtually got blown off the water ...... so nothing to report on that front .
What I saw when we arrived at the boat ramp had me stunned
not only were a couple of Islander fellows fishing off the pontoon with their lines crossing the approach to the ramp - one of which ended up with a bit less line on his spool & I gained around my prop....... (I just shrugged my shoulders) but ... in conjunction there were two young lads with them that were swimming on the boat ramp (middle lane) .

Now these were tricky conditions (25knots plus) but even with gesturing with them to move - which they didn't ..... I managed to drive the boat onto the trailer .... with a big sigh of relief
So not only did we have (I assume their parent) acting stupidly by fishing (continuing to fish) as I approached the pontoon - but allowed the kids to swim while a boat was being driven just a few meters away.

As this is a bit of a whinge ..... when are they going to ban fishing off pontoons at boat ramps ? That goes for cast netting off them - I'm sick and tired of nearly going for a slide on mud covered pontoons due to cast netters. clearly the stupidity & often selfishness of some warrant these closures.

end of rant

Chris

rosco1974
26-01-2014, 12:52 PM
chris most of these boat pontoon at ramps are signed for no fishing but they still do it.that one over there would have to be the worst have use for it...last trip out from manly I come back in to find a couple of Asians fishin from the pontoon near the rq waited for them to wind in only for one of them to refuse and stick his rod tip in the water and say itll be ok,came in wind got boat pushed boat into pontoon where rod was and ended up snappin his rod..guess he will wind in next time..

Lovey80
26-01-2014, 12:57 PM
I have no problem with fishing and cast netting from the pontoons provided they retrieve lines when boats come close. If it needs to be signed as such then so be it.

Mrs Ronnie H
26-01-2014, 01:16 PM
Hi
Similar thread to this a while back. You need to visit Beachmere since they put in the pontoon. Would be a waste of time trying to launch and retrieve on any given holiday. Going back an easter or two we decided to go out-couldn't get near the pontoon for crab pots, fishing lines and if you did you would of needed a guide to get through the deck chairs and eskies.

And kids swimming--there was a nice bit of sand once between the ramps where you could pull in -- parents standing there watching the kids and i get the finger when I said we were coming in and to get out of the way.

Just a few reasons we travel over to Bribie to launch our boat now.

If there isn't signs that say no crabbing fishing or swimming there should be or at least one in great big letters that say Boaties have right of way.
My rant for the day. Feeling peaved because some low life jumped our back fence, scratched the boat and decided to put the bungs back in. needless to say abit of a clean up and empty out today.

mrs H

NAGG
26-01-2014, 01:55 PM
chris most of these boat pontoon at ramps are signed for no fishing but they still do it.that one over there would have to be the worst have use for it...last trip out from manly I come back in to find a couple of Asians fishin from the pontoon near the rq waited for them to wind in only for one of them to refuse and stick his rod tip in the water and say itll be ok,came in wind got boat pushed boat into pontoon where rod was and ended up snappin his rod..guess he will wind in next time..

Curiosity just got the better of me ( not that I doubted you) - I went down to my local ramp - a pretty significant one for Brissy. It certainly had a sign on it (1 only) "no fishing from the pontoon" - now I have to say , there is a fishing platform on the other side of the ramp - so you generally dont see many fishing but you see a lot of cast netters.

Maybe the sign (and their should be multiples) should say "No Fishing & Cast netting" as people often do not distinguish the act of fishing , crabbing , prawning & bait gathering

Chris

Nicko_Cairns
26-01-2014, 02:48 PM
I'm sick of cars parking in the rigging/de rigging lanes too, one bloke at port douglas had a trailer on and mustn't have bothered looking for a park, just parked in the rigging lane (two trips in a row he was there).

Apollo
26-01-2014, 04:02 PM
They fish and cast net from the Tin Can Bay one a bit as well. I usually tell them that I am coming into the ramp briefly and ask them to wind in so I don't catch their lines. Never had an issue with them not complying. Happy to have them fish there and share the facility so long as a bit of mutual respect is shown.

daveo17
26-01-2014, 04:10 PM
happens all the time down at Victoria point always bogans not worth the argument.

astro66
26-01-2014, 05:29 PM
If I come in and there are lines out....I give them a yell to warn them...then come in lines or not...

What really pisses me off is at the maroochydore pontoon people think its ok to launch the kids off the sand next to the ramp with there ski boats/jet skis.....last time I looked it was 6knots within 30m of a boat ramp ...yesterday I was winding my boat on the trailer when the idiots come in flatout whipping the kids on the tube up onto the sand 3m away from the ramp launching a huge wake knocking my boat sideways on the trailer....When I give them a serve they arked up at me ....wtf....

NAGG
26-01-2014, 06:29 PM
no doubt this stuff goes on everywhere & probably leads to the odd punch up - I think they need to make these areas no fishing zones with the associated fines - it's hard core I know , but what do you do about this constant stupidity . Yes some people wind their line in but many don't
As for the cast netters - they just leave mud and debris everywhere (it's bloody dangerous having slimy mud on pontoons ....... ban that practice for sure .

Chris

Chris

astro66
26-01-2014, 06:55 PM
there is a guy down at the pontoon here most fri or sat night ....fills a 20 litre bucket with herring(that's a lot of herring)...asked what he did with so many and he said he freezes them some to use for burly...cat food...some for bait... when he is finished the pontoon is covered in mud/sticks/rock....

Luc
26-01-2014, 07:29 PM
Never going to change no matter how many signs in as many languages as you'd care to put up.

With the ineffective enforcement getting pinged is just plain bad luck!!

JohnWard
26-01-2014, 07:33 PM
While I don't have my own boat (yet) I do get to borrow my uncles from time to time but I also am stuck land based quite a bit and end up fishing off the pontoon down at Coorooman creek. Whenever I'm there (usually at night so not many boats) I always show the respect to boaties by pre-emptively reeling in well before they're close to launching or coming in. But that comes from respect as one time I was using my uncles boat I was coming in and got three different lines tangled in the prop even though I was going slowly. So then they yelled abuse at me even though the sign states all lines must be retrieved when boats are launching or coming in. So I guess I can appreciate your situation but hopefully it isn't banned at least for a year or so until I can get a boat.

NAGG
26-01-2014, 08:42 PM
Never going to change no matter how many signs in as many languages as you'd care to put up.

With the ineffective enforcement getting pinged is just plain bad luck!!

You're right Luke ..... but like the sign I saw today was quite small - at the end of the pontoon & quite high up and facing the river ..... I've used that ramp probably 20 times & I'd never noticed it ...... yet the signs to mention restricted areas & marine zones are prominent and 10 x larger .

Chris

Mike Delisser
26-01-2014, 08:52 PM
no doubt this stuff goes on everywhere & probably leads to the odd punch up - I think they need to make these areas no fishing zones with the associated fines
Chris

Chris

Perhaps we could allow rec anglers only 1 line in these new no fishing zones ;) ::)

alleycat
26-01-2014, 09:15 PM
Toorbul ramp is the same, hillbillies with multiple rods on any given sunday.

Dignity
27-01-2014, 07:26 AM
The Parkyn Ave, Mooloolaba pontoon often has anglers at night time fishing, sometimes they pull their lines in at others they wait until you are on top of them. I just keep motoring in and exchange pleasantries with them, after all it is their gear that is going to be damaged in the process, also my deckie is big and ugly enough and they stop them complaining when he gets dropped off at the pontoon.

gruntahunta
27-01-2014, 08:21 AM
Hmmmmm.......usual boaties here.....must be blowin outside...

astro66
27-01-2014, 08:28 AM
hahaha grunta ...true...

NAGG
27-01-2014, 08:41 AM
Hmmmmm.......usual boaties here.....must be blowin outside...

I see you disliked the original post - Why ?
Are these not facilities that are installed to help with the access of boats into and out of the water ? - they are not fishing platforms .
You dont mind having slippery mud on them which is both dangerous & messy ? .
Swimming on the boat ramp ?

Chris

gruntahunta
27-01-2014, 09:07 AM
Of course you are correct Nagg....I just disagreed cause almost every ramp I visit does have a kid or someone trying to catch a fish and in over 50 years of boating, I have only encounted one person that gave me grief...so That is why I disagreed, from my own lifetime experience.....

a bit of mud on a pontoon or a kid having a swim doesn't worry me in the least....yes it is against the rules and regulations.....have you ever broken one? I know I have.

Best advise I can offer you, as you obviously wanted some feedback from my disagree post, is too try and get along with fellow people who really aren't trying to ruin your day but are trying to enjoy theirs and you will enjoy life a whole lot better when you look at it from this point of view...works for me anyway....so there is why I hit the disagree button, hope that answers your questions to your satisfaction.

NAGG
27-01-2014, 09:32 AM
Of course you are correct Nagg....I just disagreed cause almost every ramp I visit does have a kid or someone trying to catch a fish and in over 50 years of boating, I have only encounted one person that gave me grief...so That is why I disagreed, from my own lifetime experience.....

a bit of mud on a pontoon or a kid having a swim doesn't worry me in the least....yes it is against the rules and regulations.....have you ever broken one? I know I have.

Best advise I can offer you, as you obviously wanted some feedback from my disagree post, is too try and get along with fellow people who really aren't trying to ruin your day but are trying to enjoy theirs and you will enjoy life a whole lot better when you look at it from this point of view...works for me anyway....so there is why I hit the disagree button, hope that answers your questions to your satisfaction.

This is the first time I've felt the need to go to print on the subject ...... depending on where I have launched - it's a fairly common issue - I dont know how many times I've had to pull a prop off to unwrap line because I've spooled someone at a boat ramp ....... so clearly people dont have the smarts to recover their line when boat comes in .
These blokes couldn't give a toss ..... they had a couple of minutes but even continued to fish as I backed away from the pontoon (which is when I picked up his line) - then to see your made nearly go ass over tit as he gets off on the pontoon because of the mud was enough.
there were other options for these people to fish (rockwall) ....... & even for the kids to swim - but no

Chris

Volvo
27-01-2014, 04:24 PM

Must say i have to agree with Gruntahunter on this one and mainly for the reasons he states. So much land up this way being taken away from te Kids who may want to go enjoy a wee bit Fishing and cant because tthey would have to stand up to their u-know whats in mud or sharp slippery rocks.
If it hasnt been the Port Authority that taken the land away then its Industry.. Between Ports and Councils here have been promising to erect Fishing Pontoon or Fingers off the bundwalls fer yonks but too tight to give a rats arse in that direction and not all Kids Parents can afford Boats like you or i , or are just not interested in the passtime so Kids have to find elsewhere and its up to us to have patience , "Live n Let Live "as the saying goes and share an area without to much fuss.
I know where your comming from mate and can sympathise but having a good memory and remembering my Childhood akin to what i described above i certainly will have patience.
They are our future fair dinkum Rec Fishos maybe ey??:)..

Dignity
28-01-2014, 01:33 AM
Watch this space - just read that the Parkyn Ave Mooloolaba ramps are to get some more pontoons

gruntahunta
28-01-2014, 06:56 AM
Fishing or boating.......or both lol

Dignity
28-01-2014, 07:30 AM
Probably both, not sure which ramp they will be on, the coast guard side or the eastern ramp, or possibly both.

NAGG
28-01-2014, 07:47 AM
I understand the whole kid fishing off the jetty thing ( these were adults) ...... but there are fishing platforms in the brissy river - A 10 minute drive could have had this bloke fishing off one -
It's not about being mean spirited or selfish ...... it's just that these pontoons are built for boaties just like boat trailer parking bays are not just really big car parking spaces .

Chris

lbger
28-01-2014, 12:46 PM
When i was a kid i used to fish off a few jetties but they were really quiet ones, cant think of a worse spot than to try fishing off a jetty when there is constantly boats coming in, dropping off, tying up etc.. and to let your kids swim at the ramp.. wow!! That's another level of stupid, its hard enough trying to drive your boat onto a trailer in 25knots let alone dodging kids as well.
Most ppl are pretty good but like most things in life there is always a few ppl that refuse (or i genuinely believe just dont know) to do the right thing.

NAGG
29-01-2014, 07:05 AM
When i was a kid i used to fish off a few jetties but they were really quiet ones, cant think of a worse spot than to try fishing off a jetty when there is constantly boats coming in, dropping off, tying up etc.. and to let your kids swim at the ramp.. wow!! That's another level of stupid, its hard enough trying to drive your boat onto a trailer in 25knots let alone dodging kids as well.
Most ppl are pretty good but like most things in life there is always a few ppl that refuse (or i genuinely believe just dont know) to do the right thing.

In those conditions - 25knot plus blowing the same direction as the outgoing tide ..... a miss could have seen the boat on top of the kids in the water (conditions were that bad that we were talking about the retrieval on the way back to the ramp) ....... no boatie should have to deal with that stupidity

Chris

Lancair
29-01-2014, 07:36 AM
Fishing off pontoons is one thing, it's only line or rods that get wrecked if a boat comes too close. Too bad for those fishing I say. I wait giving them a chance to reel in and move but if they don't, I just keep coming, they soon get the message.

Kids swimming and jumping off the pontoons is another. It happens all too regularly at my local ramp in summer. As does boats speeding in the 4kt zone, don't get me started on that one in a canal no more than 5-6 metres wide at low tide!

Noelm
29-01-2014, 07:44 AM
I have a very similar thing at my local ramp, especially late in the afternoon or night, it is a VERY popular Squid fishing spot, and coming into the jetty is a sea of light sticks attached to floats, and a dozen people all casting squid jigs, almost NONE of them will wind in for a boat, (they are fishing off the ramp and jetty) and there has been hundreds of altercations between fishermen and boat owners, now lets be 100% fair, there is no sign that says "no fishing" so... does that make it fair game for one and all (boaters and fisherman alike?) or does the boater have some sort of "right of way"? I know I have tangled up Squid jigs hundreds of times, and sometimes multiple jigs during a single retrieval.

Dignity
29-01-2014, 08:50 AM
Noelm since you have more squid jigs than you could possibly use I can take some off your hands. It all boils down to "common sense" but I have noticed that either/both "common" and "sense" are often missing from the equation. I am a boatie but also use pontoons and ramps at times for cast netting (it is amazing the fish that are actually on the ramps at night) but always I am aware of boats coming and going, will help hold boats, even getting them onto their trailers and will always clean up after each throw of the net as I am fully aware of the issues surrounding this issue.

These days there seems to be an element that just don't care about anyone else which is scary so a lot of comments on this thread mean zilch to them whether they are valid or not, lack of any enforcement of any rules usually results in more of the same behaviour. I was talking to the Fisheries guys at Mooloolaba who used to have 6 staff and were due to have it increased by 1, but 2 left and as the 4 remaining staff picked up the slack the govt decided that they no longer needed to keep the level at 7 ( 6 +1) and have left it at 4. What chance have they got in policing the waterways and all the different rules and regulations.

My rant for the morning, now if someone could please turn off the fan.

Noelm
29-01-2014, 09:27 AM
Dignity, I have plenty of squid jigs, I reckon if you left now, you could be at my place by around midnight, I will just leave a bag of them on the front veranda for you!!! I do agree with you though, who exactly is going to Police such a minor (in the big scheme of things) infringement? I guess unless it does come to blows at sometime, it will just be a case of "them and us"

Ausfish
29-01-2014, 09:45 AM
Dignity, I have plenty of squid jigs, I reckon if you left now, you could be at my place by around midnight, I will just leave a bag of them on the front veranda for you!!! I do agree with you though, who exactly is going to Police such a minor (in the big scheme of things) infringement? I guess unless it does come to blows at sometime, it will just be a case of "them and us"

Maybe it will take it to coming to blows, but maybe as they old saying goes "The squeeky wheel gets the oil". If enough people constantly ring the council or police maybe some thing will get done. Maybe the council has a duty of care once it is reported that it may, or has already nearly come to blows, to do something about it before it comes to blows. As you say though "in the big scheme of things" A bit of common sense though and there would not be a problem.

The only problem with common sense, is that sense isn't common.

NAGG
29-01-2014, 10:37 AM
And maybe that's all it would take - a few phone calls or emails

Who's job is it to police no fishing on pontoons ?

Chris

Dignity
29-01-2014, 12:38 PM

Noelem, I had thought of sending you a self addressed package but after a recent exercise I found that the postage would cost more than the article and now Australia Post wants to reduce services or charge extra, what an absolute laugh, they even had the gall to say that it was only a survey which is not really correct as they only gave two choices 1. reduce services, 2 pay extra. I checked on postage costs from other countries to Australia and found them to be half or less than Australian costs. Ooops right rant wrong thread.

Better keep the jigs for another time.

aussiebasser
29-01-2014, 02:38 PM
Under Queensland law Cast Netting is classified as fishing Chris, so there is not a new law required, just an old law that needs to be enforced.

Oceanranger24
03-02-2014, 12:45 PM
Hey you guys,
do we really need more rules and regulations. What you are asking for is another of the main thing we all hate, bureaucracy and the policing of it, not to mention the funding of it. We probably could have more inspectors, police and rules but I for one sure as hell don't. As it is now, it takes a briefcase full of rules and regulations to know if you are within your bag limit, in the right or wrong spot, have the right number of lifejackets and, and ,and

personally I have given up it is all so complicated. I try to do the right thing, but where I used to get all upset when i got it wrong, I just cop it sweet and hope that it will be a fair while till the next time I get a ticket.
Fishing is about relaxing and enjoying our beautiful waterways, and if you think about it, there are not very many places that people can fish from on the shore.

My vote is for less rules, more understanding and consideration and finally more beer to drown out the memory, after a wally leaves his line in the water and you get the job of cutting it out from the prop. :)

Gazza
03-02-2014, 02:01 PM
Soo it seems that pontoons are "exclusive-use" for boaties.....BS
....and sunken-boats are "exclusive-use" for divers.....BS

what a fkn "don't walk-on-the-grass ,read-the-sign" fkd world RecFishos have to live-in.... JMO !!!

bigjimg
07-02-2014, 09:12 PM
The pontoon at Whyte Island is left in a disgraceful mess once the cast netters have been on it. No attempt to wash down, weed and mud, rocks and by catch left to bake in the sun. The Port did not have to install a pontoon
but decided it was of benefit.
I have no problem with any land based user fishing from it, but for Christ sake clean up your mess and leave in a clean state.
I've inspected and found hooks discarded at times, imagine you child hopping out the boat to receive a hook in the foot, nice.
There are some real pigs out there and we all get tarred with the one brush. Jim.

Volvo
08-02-2014, 11:15 AM
The pontoon at Whyte Island is left in a disgraceful mess once the cast netters have been on it. No attempt to wash down, weed and mud, rocks and by catch left to bake in the sun. The Port did not have to install a pontoon
but decided it was of benefit.
I have no problem with any land based user fishing from it, but for Christ sake clean up your mess and leave in a clean state.
I've inspected and found hooks discarded at times, imagine you child hopping out the boat to receive a hook in the foot, nice.
There are some real pigs out there and we all get tarred with the one brush. Jim.

Yes bigjimg it is the few that spoil it for the rest as always is the case ey..

airlock
09-02-2014, 10:56 AM
you should try the harbour town pontoon in noosa, pretty much impossible to get in or out of there on a weekend without gaining a few meters of line on the prop.

NAGG
09-02-2014, 11:17 AM
It's all nice to talk about sharing & people doing the right thing ....... the trouble is they don't - and it's not one or two .... it's much bigger than that. So if people are not going to abide by the rules ..... hit em up & enforce the rules.

These pontoons are installed to make it easier for boaties to handle their boats & passengers - that's why there are signs saying "no fishing"

I wonder how shore based fishoes would feel if boaties tied their boats off on the fishing platforms .

Chris

Matthias
13-02-2014, 08:16 AM
There is only one answer...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_Jones