PDA

View Full Version : How Can I Reproduce This Speckled / Spotted Paint Finish?

Dave666
26-01-2014, 09:29 AM
Does anyone know how to do the spotted / speckled paint finish without using a spay gun. I would like to reproduce this finish at home.

I tried a test area on the timer fence by trying to "flick" it off the brush. Also cut the brush hair short and ran a thin piece of timber along it (like finger along a toothbrush). Both cases resulted in a big mess. I would love a spotted finish like shown in the picture.

Cheers
Dave

scorpo92
26-01-2014, 10:14 AM
With a skewer. One dot at a time lol. Ive often wondered the same coz my boat has it and it looks like a home job.

Blackened
26-01-2014, 11:21 AM
G'day

In the factory with the flowcoat through the spray gun with low pressure.

Without it? make up a big stencil the roll it ;)

Dave

Noelm
26-01-2014, 11:53 AM
You can do it with a cheap sand blast gun from a department/chain store, you need to fool about with the nozzle size a bit, and the material you want to use, but it can be done, however, it will be an absolute miracle if you can get close to matching what you already have!

BARRAkid
26-01-2014, 12:18 PM
Mate the only way to make it exactly the same as the picture shown is to run the coal flowcoat thinned down with some acetone through a spray gun with low air i flowcoated the inside of a busted tender at home the other day and my compressor died on me so i just dipped my fingertips in the flow coat and flecked with my fingers just like having a closed fist and flick your hand open quickly if you get what i mean.
At a guess is that picture a cruisecraft? cheers

Dave666
27-01-2014, 06:38 AM
The original picture is not my boat, just an example of what I thought might be good for the walls, bilge, and storage areas for my boat, which is shown below.

Dont think I will go to the trouble of getting spray equipment, so unless anyone has other ideas I might just stick with a solid colour (grey) in 2pac.

Cheers
Dave

MyWay
27-01-2014, 11:27 PM
I think you can do that with splatter gun easy

Horse
28-01-2014, 08:06 AM
A single colour never looks as good and shows dirt. I have hear of guys using garden sprayers to spray thinned flowcoat for the speckle
The best is low pressure spray with a cheap sandblasting gun or body deadener gun

matt fraser
28-01-2014, 09:47 AM
I got a splatter effect out of my standard cheap spray gun. I ran it with no thinners, low pressure and back the needle right out.

Practise on some cardboard or whatever, you will get a bit of clogging, but once you get a consistant effect, go to work on the boat.

I redid all the insides on my last boat, and it looked great.

More of a splatter than a speckle though.

Matt

burleygu
28-01-2014, 06:35 PM
video on you tube on how to do it

Adam_G
28-01-2014, 07:12 PM
you can do it with a brush. below is my first attempt, few things I learnt that would make it better next time.

1. make sure the brush isn't to big and bristles have been cut short.
2. after catalysing the 2 pac wait at least half an hour or more until it starts gelling off
3. make a small batch I found a clean tuna tin was a good size
4. hold your tin, dip brush in then drag brush across lip of tin and flick the paint on

do some test flicks first, by waiting till the paint starts going off you eliminate the chance of runs. other thing I did was to use 3 colours as the fleck, black, blue and grey. I could have gone heavier with the fleck and been more patient to avoid runs.

Darren Mc
31-01-2014, 07:03 PM
Buy a cheap gravity feed spray gun from supercheap or somewhere. Take the air cap off and spray away. Leave the paint a little on the thick side and hold the gun back a foot or so. Experiment with the pressure and paint thickness. Also use a couple of differrent colours seperately of course.