PDA

View Full Version : How a aluminium boat is made

chris69
24-01-2014, 09:23 PM
Found this youtube vid on how a ally boat is made in the US. its realy interesting all rivited.

http://youtu.be/mkOILf85vXg

Schulzy
24-01-2014, 09:58 PM
That's really cool!! Interesting how good rivets still are.

fisho64
24-01-2014, 10:07 PM
wow, amazing how it handles the chop!

Linedropper
24-01-2014, 10:43 PM
Riveting!!

petelaska
25-01-2014, 06:18 AM
We had a 12ft 1964 dehavland tinny which was riveted together a couple of years ago. When the leaks got to bad we would get 2 hammers and tap the rivets tight, it would stop the leaks for a while. that boat had character.

tunaticer
25-01-2014, 10:32 AM
Aircraft are still rivetted to and the are pressure vessels......
A well constructed rivetted joint is usually a better joint than a welded joint, welds create heat stresses, shrinkage stresses and hard points that act as a shear point location.

davo
25-01-2014, 04:03 PM
I was in Canada 18 months again and went fishing up in Northern Saskatchewan at a fishing lodge. All the boats were riveted alloy. On one day it blew 30Knots and the seas were over 2 metres. We finished up loosing a rivet, but really these boats had had a very had life and were still in one piece. In the US riveted boats are the norm. Think about it you don't have to pay a welder, no stress cracks from welds. Google Lund boats. They are like buying a Quintrex over here, very common in the Northern US and Canada.

chris69
25-01-2014, 06:02 PM
The yanks dont do anything nothing the way they have worked out there proccess of contruction is good and strong and the way the finish them off is far better then we have here,i think you get more for your money than you would here.

davo
25-01-2014, 09:58 PM
The boats have more bling in the US but the way they are built I don't think they would be as good in our saltwater environment. The boats I saw had ply seats and foredecks. Their boats are much smaller than ours and very light weight. I only saw one lot of plate alloy boats and they are Harbour Craft. I still say that the yanks build great glass boats but not alloy ones.

Owen
26-01-2014, 08:29 AM
Spent a few days at the Fred Hall show in Longbeach a couple of years ago. The Yankee glass boats are flash but the ally ones are agricultural at best.
I saw none with the same level of hull design or finish as the best from Australia and NZ
Not saying there are none, but Fred Hall is probably the biggest boat show in the US and they weren't there.

Cheers
Owen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chimo
26-01-2014, 08:49 AM
These look like fun http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sClNlU2-Lc

C
C