PDA

View Full Version : Two wrongs don't make a right.

MickS
24-01-2014, 02:56 PM
I don’t do crabbing, I do fishing. However I can understand from those who do enjoy crabbing it must really suck when your pots have been raided by some low life, but is this a reason to do the wrong thing and sinkcrab pots?Last week I had a mate visiting from overseas, and we got afew hours away from family and kids to go and flick a few plastics around the Maroochy River. Being school holidays there was a bit of traffic on the river,and crab pots everywhere. Most of the crab pots are clearly marked, with whitefloats, some have not so visible floats, and then there are the others.We went to a favourite creek of mine, and were working our plastics around when my mate got snagged, which I thought was unusual at the time, as there were not usually snags there. We went to retrieve the lure and found ourselves pulling up a sunken pot, attached to another sunken pot by 5meters of green rope. So here we find ourselves holding someone else’s crab pot(with a few crabs). Question then was what to do. In the end we just chucked it back in, in hindsight I should have probably emptied it and thrown it on thebank.Then on the way home (with a very low tide) sunken potnumber 2 turned up, wrapped around my prop. Cut it away, and continued on.I don’t believe 2 wrongs make a right, don’t sink crab pots.If you do then honest people are forced to pull them up from time to timethrough no fault of their own.If you still want to sink crab pots, then put them away from fishos and boats and not across a creek mouth on an outgoing tide, that’s just stupid.

astro66
24-01-2014, 03:28 PM
last weekend in petrie creek there were sunken pots....there were heaps tied to the bank with no floats...tag ..nothing ... pots were in the channel they were in a row across the river ....I came through on dusk and almost ran over plenty...

TheRealAndy
24-01-2014, 08:35 PM
If it wraps around your prop, pull the pot onboard and report it. Cutting it loose is doing more damaged as a ghost pot. Personally, I would just leave it at the local boat ramp. If shit goes down, argue that its a risk to shipping.

wayno60
24-01-2014, 08:41 PM
Pick em up and move them 20m down the creek so you now are the only ones that know where they are or empty them and chuck em up on the bank.

jmwarner
28-01-2014, 08:39 AM
If its unmarked and sunk would that technically be littering???