PDA

View Full Version : Quinttex offshore y not?

conco46
24-01-2014, 02:46 PM
Alot on this forum dont rate Quintrex boats & saying they hav heard of cracks in the hulls & saying Quintrex & offshore dont mix

So r they really that bad or was there just a few lemons out there.
Reason I ask is u see so many Quintrex out there on water n on tv.
Also my mate bought a 6.5m centercab millinum hull and I found it awesome.

Im not looking for a boat but wen I was alot bagged the Quintrex
So just wanted to see how many here like them n how many dont n y so I can let me mate know of any faults. His is a 2008 I think
Cheers

Sent from my GT-I9195T using Tapatalk

Nicholas2230
24-01-2014, 02:56 PM
Alot on this forum dont rate Quintrex boats & saying they hav heard of cracks in the hulls & saying Quintrex & offshore dont mix

So r they really that bad or was there just a few lemons out there.
Reason I ask is u see so many Quintrex out there on water n on tv.
Also my mate bought a 6.5m centercab millinum hull and I found it awesome.

Im not looking for a boat but wen I was alot bagged the Quintrex
So just wanted to see how many here like them n how many dont n y so I can let me mate know of any faults. His is a 2008 I think
Cheers

Mate I have a 600 offshore with the millenium hull and I love it, Yes the boat is rougher than a big heavy glass boat but it does have way better economy, its a ton lighter and for the price you can pick a decent one up they are a no brainer..... Quintrex are a good boat and I will be buying another once I upgrade the offshore.

Moonlighter
24-01-2014, 03:28 PM
We had a couple of guys in our Boat/fishing Club with them. One of the guys I know quite well, his, of a similar vintage to your mate's boat, had some poor stuff that I saw and helped him fix:

1. Wiring was very ordinary, with stuff earthed to the hull.

2. The welded on grab rail across the passenger side dash cracked and broke off one day on a trip on a bit rough trip on the Bay.

3. Other cracks started to appear around cabin and transom so he got rid of it quick smart.

4. Paint work was average to say the least.

They were just really a souped up pressed boat, perhaps it was the alloy blend they used due to the need to press it, but it really didn't have the "heavy duty" capacity that you'd expect of mid sized plate boats, that can take a real bashing and come back for more without cracking up.

conco46
24-01-2014, 04:47 PM
Thanks guys for both opinions
Might giv me mates welds a good check

snapperbasher
24-01-2014, 06:03 PM
Doesn't really matter about the brand it really just the fact of the gauge of aluminium used.... All pressed Tinny's can have this problem and the bigger they are the worse it can be as they tend to twist and move a bit more.

Alchemy
24-01-2014, 09:17 PM
Crap hull shape, crap workmanship. Might as well get a 6.5 m punt as you'd get a similar ride

rabbi
25-01-2014, 09:35 AM
I used to own a 5.6m Quintrex cuddy cabin with a Mariner 90 on the back.
I never had any experience with pressed aluminium before this and probably would go a heavy duty plate alloy boat if I ever bought another one.

The hull was in good shape until I hit a big hole between waves one day and put a 1.5 meter crack right along keel and got that sinking feeling..
Got it welded by pro welders at a local boat shop but nearly every trip it would crack and leak after that.. got rid of it..
Apparently when the cracks are welded it hardens the aluminium and makes the metal around the repair become brittle.

Got 2 mates with similar boats and both were good until they got a few sea hours on them and both cracked along keel from cutting edge of bow where waves contact the hull..They kept cracking after repairs were carried out too.
Not that impressed with them..
cheers, steve.