PDA

View Full Version : keeping bait frozen on extended trips

Still_Dreamin
22-01-2014, 12:03 PM
I am doing a four day trip camping using moreton island as a base and heading around the cape weather permitting.
How do people keep their bait?
I dont have access to fridge/freezer, i would like to take pilly and squid in case I cant jig any livies.
Does dry ice affect the bait?
Dont want to rely on plactics or livies

snapperbasher
22-01-2014, 12:34 PM
mate i cryovac it first then throw it on dry ice....works perfectly

Horse
22-01-2014, 12:37 PM
Cryovac then put inside a smaller esky placed inside a larger one. I use a 20L inside my 150L and bait is frozen for days
. Dry ice is good but your bait and/or food needs to be well sealed.
Salted and cryovaced Mullet and Pillies also last a few days once thawed

netmaker
22-01-2014, 01:24 PM
save your dough brendan. if you can't jig any livies in 4 days you won't catch any fish and may as well save your esky space for the important stuff...

Crunchy
22-01-2014, 01:51 PM
I'm keen to see how your adventure pans out as just thinking of doing the same myself, when you going?

Spent Sunday night on Moreton (Not planned...got too drunk), no sleep... too worried about the boat not being there in the morning, the car / trailer at the ramp, and of coarse coming up with an excuse for not showing up for work on Monday LOL.

Have been able to keep bait frozen for a few days just with plain ice but wrapped up in newspaper & plastic bag - keep topping with fresh ice.

Beatsworkin2
22-01-2014, 04:00 PM
Plenty of lives there mate

PROS
22-01-2014, 04:07 PM
There are huge amount of bait in the bay currently, all markers are full of livies.
Stay upcurrent from the marker, sometimes even 50-100 mts away, you will easily locate the bait with your sounder.
Get a few sets of bait jigs and you cant go wrong.