PDA

View Full Version : Wind and tide help

fritzy34
21-01-2014, 01:12 PM
Hi All,

Is their any sites or links that i could obtain to school me up abit more on winds/tides in the form of what winds you shouldn't or should fish in and what tides are best to fish and so on and so forth??. I'm sure a few are having a giggle right now, but i guess this is the whole point of this site. What is knowledge if it cant be passed on right? hahah

Cheers

Fritzy :thumbsup:

Noelm
21-01-2014, 01:40 PM
while I am sure there may be some that have some very basic info, nothing beats doing it and learning for yourself in your area

bowds13
21-01-2014, 01:46 PM
It can really depend on what area you are fishing and your boat and experience can come in to play as well. Like noelm said, get out in your boat in different conditions and you will soon find out what suits.

Moonlighter
21-01-2014, 03:07 PM
Hi All,

Is their any sites or links that i could obtain to school me up abit more on winds/tides in the form of what winds you shouldn't or should fish in and what tides are best to fish and so on and so forth??. I'm sure a few are having a giggle right now, but i guess this is the whole point of this site. What is knowledge if it cant be passed on right? hahah

Cheers

Fritzy :thumbsup:

Fritzy

I think your question is a bit too broad to answer. It would help if you were to give some examples of the type of fishing you are thinking of doing, the locations and species you are targetting.

For example, if you were targetting flathead in the creeks and estuaries, the advice about winds and tides would be very different than if you were intending to target snapper on the offshore reefs.

For reef fishing in SEQ, i hate NW winds and dont even bother going. For pelagic species like mackerel, the general rule is "no run, no fun" so fishing the bigger todal runs is usually better. Flathead the last hour of the run out and first hour of the run in are my preferences.

fritzy34
21-01-2014, 04:42 PM
Hi Moolighter, Actually looking back on my original post i really was to broad. I'm currently landbased fishing in the passage at Bribie Is, target whiting/ bream / flathead. But i guess i get mixed reviews on when i should be targeting these species. I just think i'm either getting my line in water too late in the morning, or the tides are just not right......

Noelm
21-01-2014, 06:25 PM
Ah, OK fishing in the Passage, firt up, fish like (say)Whiting will be right up on the shallow flats at high tide, and hiding in deeper holes in the channel at low tide, during the run out, those sneaky Flathead will be lurking on the drop off to the flats, waiting or those same Whiting to start falling back off the flats. To be successful you need to know what a certain species feeds on and how. An old black Prawn on a 6/0 hook on the middle of the day will be a lucky dip at best.

fritzy34
22-01-2014, 07:51 PM
Hi noelm,thanks heaps for answering my question mate.im actually heading out tomorrow morning to try my luck. Cheers Fritzy

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk