PDA

View Full Version : Trim Tab vs Motor Trim question

odes20
19-01-2014, 08:38 PM
So I had to punch into a 11 knt northerly for 48 Kim's recently in my Yalta 6 metre with 175 Zuk 4 stroke, so I trimmed motor in to bring the bow down to plough it a bit to save bouncing over them a bit. By doing so I created prop push on the steering wheel as it wanted to pull right. So even tho I have hydraulic steering, I had to hold pressure on the helm resist the pull.
What if I had kept the motor trimmed out nicely and used my Lenco trim tabs to push bow down. Could that have alleviated the pull to the right. ?
Yes the motor is set up nicely with the cav plate about 20 mm above keel

Moonlighter
19-01-2014, 08:41 PM
Yes, use the trim tabs and you would have had the best of both worlds. Just set the motor at its optimum trim position and use the tabs from there on.

Apollo
19-01-2014, 09:42 PM
Yeap , as per Moonlighter for me too. Trim the motor, then use the tabs for the conditions.

gofishin
20-01-2014, 12:05 AM
Yep, ditto to the boys above.

There is a saying, "tabs are to trim the boat, motor trim is to trim the prop ", meaning keep the prop at the optimum trim. This is by far the most effective and most economical way of achieving bow-down trim. If the tabs are sized and installed correctly you should not need the prop to help get the nose down.

PS. Obviously the above saying doesn't relate to +ve trim, to lift the bow. Tabs can't help here, and it is all prop (and motor height ;) )

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chimo
20-01-2014, 06:03 AM
Hi odes20

What most all have said but the other point is boat length. Longer is better of course and from experience gained with the Vagabond even a little longer ie the length of a trim tab helps especially when coupled with the extra bow down force that can be exerted when they are engaged.

No doubt tabs level a boat but a plate style tab will also allow the bow to be better engaged which is what you sought to do and that is what I also use my tabs for as well as leveling the boat.

Doing this allows the prop to be trimmed for best running angle and that certainly saves fuel and lets the motors sing as only a pair of 2 strokes know how to do.

Cheers
Chimo

ozscott
20-01-2014, 06:15 PM
I agree with all this. You will hold much better to the sea if the tabs are engaged. Heavy steering indicates incorrect trim ie to far in. So trim first with tabs up then touch tabs down in small.touches until happy and adjust them for changes in wind etc.

Cheers

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

odes20
20-01-2014, 10:14 PM
Thanks all for the good advice. I fitted the tabs about a year ago and only used them to level the boat. Today I went out for a troll (got a nice cobia) and came back across a northerly, so trimmed the motor out sweet an downed the tabs, and yes they brought the bow down real sweet. Last night I went online and bought the Lenco tabs switches with the LED indicators. This will make it easier to see where they are and and manage

Chimo
21-01-2014, 06:21 AM
Good for you odes20, you would probably find that as you use the tabs you will get to know where they are even without lights just by the feel of the boat.

Also given that they only take 2 seconds or so to operate through their full range and the adjustments are just by tapping you can always fully lift for 2 secs and then tap to get them where they need to be until you get the feel of them.

KISS!

Cheers
Chimo

odes20
21-01-2014, 07:10 AM
Mine take longer than that however you're right I have learned to feel the boat and get them right. I have disconnected the auto retract wire so having the tab indicator lights will help to remember where they are. On a long journey I often move them a lot with dickies deckies wardering around the boat like lost sheep :) it will be a luxury I know

Chimo
21-01-2014, 07:39 AM
Got to luv deckie sheep!