PDA

View Full Version : Origin 5m Axis, AMM 5.2 half pod and Mac5 centre console

tmw_85
17-01-2014, 12:13 PM
Hi all, first post for me. I'm currently in the process of working out the pros and cons of the above boats. The Axis and Mac5 would be powered by a 90 Suzuki and the AMM by 100 Yamaha 4 stroke. I mainly fish offshore from Mooloolaba by myself and want to be able to tow it up the beach and fish off DI when the weather permits. I also do trips up north where I will be fishing estuaries. The AMM has a 20 degree Deadrise compared to the axis at 16 and Mac5 with 15, I was wondering how this would go with stability at rest? I would be very keen to hear from owners of any of these boats and peoples thoughts? Cheers Trent

copie
17-01-2014, 08:56 PM
Jason would be happy to take you for run in a Mac5, his workshop is just in Caloundra.

Mark

tmw_85
17-01-2014, 09:25 PM
I spoke to them today and I'm waiting for a price list to be sent through. I was told they didn't have any in the build stage or available for test.

davo
17-01-2014, 09:29 PM
Just check what is under the deck of the AMM. My father had the AMM and me the Fisher (Col Svenson built one). My Fisher was so much stronger and better in rough water.

tmw_85
17-01-2014, 09:40 PM
I was down at Origin on Wednesday and the workmanship was really good. At the moment I'm leaning towards the Axis but I'm yet to check out the Mac5 and AMM in person.

Sheik
18-01-2014, 08:18 AM
If you buy two I can keep one for you in case you feel like a change.

Sheik
18-01-2014, 08:22 AM
actually, buy all three, you take one, I'll keep two and when you're keen for a change, come over and take your choice. In the meantime, I'll keep the other two ready to go, and take them out often to make sure they're seaworthy. Quite willing to help you out. No thanks necessary.

craig kenny
18-01-2014, 08:30 AM
Hi mate have you had a look at mclay boats type in mclay 551 barra tournament i own one can go crabbing and barra fishing in 300mm of water or 50klm offshore a good allround tuff boat
cheers craig

davo
18-01-2014, 05:43 PM
Mclay's are definitely worth a look.

tmw_85
18-01-2014, 06:25 PM
I do like the look of the Mclay's but I would like something with a bit more free board and I think the local built platey's are going to be stronger. Cheers Trent

Dan5
18-01-2014, 06:59 PM
I have the Origin Axis 5mtr with a 140 Suzy......very happy with the boats performance,handling and dryness in choppy water.......it has good seakeeping ability is predicatable and safe has good freeboard and very solid construction of a high standard.It does need to be balanced correctly as it is tender on list and will tend to lean toward the the loaded side.......this can be sorted by moving esky etc to compensate.Really dry ride......really dry very impressed with that all thanks to the large reverse chine.......Options of layout is endless as every boat is custom.....Very happy with mine and would one day like a larger one but for the time being very happy.........Dan

Dan5
18-01-2014, 07:02 PM
Couple of pics for you to drool over lol.

davo
18-01-2014, 08:37 PM
Actually I like my hull better than the latest ones because the sides aren't as high. High sided boats are not the be all and end all. I say this as my father pro fished and built some of his boats. All the older designs had lower sides than today and when it comes to fishability are much nicer. Whether it be crabbing or fishing, high sided craft can be painful. They lean into the wind, are hard to board and when you use them under electric power it is a mission. If I bought a new Origin that would be the first question to see if you can cut the sides down. I fished from a little Cairns Custom craft Barra Tracker some years ago. It's sides where cut down to about a Quintrex Hornet. We fished in some horrible weather without a problem. That is the attraction to Mclay, they build a nice proportional design.

propdinger
18-01-2014, 08:38 PM
Thank for the info dan5 I am going there to have a look next week (won't be Buying till later this year) I'm looking at the 5.5 with a 140hp but I will have trim tabs which seems after what you said is a good idea. Thank you
Tmw I like the origin best personally but that's the thing I'm going with what feels right for me

tmw_85
18-01-2014, 09:04 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice. Hopefully I'll hear back from Jason at Offshore marine master on Monday, I spoke to him again today.

Jarrah Jack
18-01-2014, 09:06 PM
I have the Origin Axis 5mtr with a 140 Suzy......very happy with the boats performance,handling and dryness in choppy water.......it has good seakeeping ability is predicatable and safe has good freeboard and very solid construction of a high standard.It does need to be balanced correctly as it is tender on list and will tend to lean toward the the loaded side.......this can be sorted by moving esky etc to compensate.Really dry ride......really dry very impressed with that all thanks to the large reverse chine.......Options of layout is endless as every boat is custom.....Very happy with mine and would one day like a larger one but for the time being very happy.........Dan

So it handles the garage well does it Dan? haha

Dan5
18-01-2014, 09:22 PM
So it handles the garage well does it Dan? haha
Yeah too much work not enough play time as usual.........but when it gets out it gets well and truly used.Col at Origin will cut the sides down if you want......I asked the question when I got mine done and it's not an issue.......It does catch the wind more with the higher sides for sure but I really like the look of the raised sheerline and it it looks proportional to me.....horses for courses I suppose........if I was using it in shelted waters all the time I would have proberbly gone the lower sides.......I also sleep onboard in top end rivers in remote areas so it's nice to have that little extra height for the handbags that sometimes visit at night......even if it is only a piece of mind thing.Dan

Luke G
18-01-2014, 11:22 PM
Another plug for origin, i have there 5.5 axis in a center console and its an awesome little boat, goes well with a 140 lean burn and good on fuel!

Col / bob are easy to deal with and will do anything you want with your boat design.

Redhunter
19-01-2014, 07:15 AM
Hi tmw 85 mate i had some work done by jason of omm on me transome, and the work he done was awesome, mate i looked at some of his builds on his boats that he had down there and all of his boats are built like tanks with full stringer and girder systems.with 6mm bottom Gee i wonder why i did not go to origin l.o.l

steve

tmw_85
19-01-2014, 07:31 AM
Hi tmw 85 mate i had some work done by jason of amm on me transome, and the work he done was awesome, mate i looked at some of his builds on his boats that he had down there and all of his boats are built like tanks with full stringer and girder systems.with 6mm bottom Gee i wonder why i did not go to origin l.o.l

steve

Hi Steve, I will have to get down there and check out the shop when I get some time. Have you had an issue with origin before?

Cheers Trent

Redhunter
19-01-2014, 07:51 AM
Hi Steve, I will have to get down there and check out the shop when I get some time. Have you had an issue with origin before?

Cheers Trent

Yes mate i have in the past with svensson when all that fisher shit that went down, and he would not answer his mobile, something i have not forgoten hay mods lets try and keep this one open without banning some one as it seems like the going thing around her at the moment

steve

fishing111
19-01-2014, 08:41 AM
RH did Jason work for AMM Australian Master Marine before he started OMM Offshore Marine Master? There names are similar and it may be confusing to Trent if OMM did the work.

Redhunter
19-01-2014, 08:50 AM
Yes fishing111 you are right it is offshore master marine, that is jasons plate boat business As for him working for amm in the past am not sure about that.

steve

fishing111
19-01-2014, 08:54 AM
No worries Steve, just thought you would want the plug going to the right business.

davo
19-01-2014, 11:39 AM
Hope it all works out. Now for the questions on going custom build. I can tell a few stories but some will have to be PM's

boaring
19-01-2014, 05:43 PM
hello im also looking to purchase a new side /center console, origin axis,4x4, mclay,tabs ,trailcraft, formosa noble, etc tough call when ya shelling out near 50 grand, trying to find the comprmise of dry soft ride, strength, easily powered, and build quality is not easy especially when you live in darwin and cant view let alone water test, tabs, trailcraft and formosa look good value, but the origins, amms, mclay etc seem exeptional quality but come at a premuim price which i dont mind paying if they really are that good.
Can anybody comment on a new traily( now made offshore) or does anyone in darwin have an origin that i might be able to suss out etc
done plenty of homework rough prices etc

tabs 5.3 territory pro 43k 115

formosa territory tomahawk 5.2 43k
trailcraft territory pro 5.2 43k 115
mclay 5.5 47k 115
origin axis 48k 115
origin 4x4 4950 44k 90
stabicraft 1850 frontier 47k 115

any thought would be much appreciated cheer ron.

tmw_85
19-01-2014, 06:54 PM
Hi Ron, does the tabs have a self draining deck? I'm after something that is a true platey. My budget is 40k but I would be willing to push it a bit further for a better quality boat. I've done the sums on an axis and with a pretty basic hull, 90 suzi and a cheap trailer I'd get if for about 45k. The offshore marine master is about 40k but I'm thinking about upgrading to 4mm sides and floor. Electronics are going to be put in later down the track.

Cheers Trent

boaring
19-01-2014, 08:40 PM
No trent, at that size i dont think a sealed deck is an option on the tabs, however i can vouch for their very good ride and quality build compared to anything pressed in my opinion and its alot of boat for the money, trailcraft the same but it does have a sealed deck, however will ride harder than an equilivent size tabs but still alot of boat for the money, havent seen a new one out of china though so pretty cautious there. My sons mate has a 5m noble also know knocked up ofshore, heard some horror stories regarding build quality but his is a beautiful boat brought from a dealer not an auction needs alot of power though again very cautious of whats under the floor though.
I have spoken with colin from origin seems like a real nice guy and their reputation speaks for itself, i like the 4x4 4950 and the 5m axis and have also done up rough prices, have you considered the mclay nice boats look like a real good alrounder and easily powered i would tip they would be a bit wetter than the higher sided boats but look great especially the 551 tornament model. Formosa tomahawk has a sealed deck but its not fully welded i dont particulary like the shape and the beam is almost to big i reckon, they seem to have pretty good following here in the territory though and are well priced out of brissy. Bare bones stabi nice boat and currently my favourite but also the biggest and most exy, needs a cast platform and console moved rearward a bit, matched with a 115 yammy hard to beat i reckon but i think id be happy with some of the others as well just hard to make desicions when ya havent got them available to look at. cheers ron

Dan5
19-01-2014, 09:29 PM
I'm in Darwin Ron....pretty sure I had the first Origin up here.............Looked at pretty much everything you mentioned and have been in most of them aswell........5mm bottom 4mm sides is hard to go past. The Stabi is the only other boat you mention I would consider myself....Send me a pm and we'll have a talk about looking at mine if you want......Dan

tmw_85
31-01-2014, 07:39 AM
Well after crunching all the numbers, I ended up going with the Axis! Hopefully I'll get to go for a spin in one in about 5 weeks. Mine on the other hand will be at least 6 months away but it will be well worth the wait. Thanks to everyone for the input and advise. Cheers Trent

Sheik
31-01-2014, 03:19 PM
congrats trent, hope it works out for you mate. Let me know if you need some help testing it offshore. I'm a great anchor bitch...

boaring
01-02-2014, 05:11 PM
Hi trent what sort of dollars is the axis costing you if you dont mind me asking.

Cheers ron

tmw_85
02-02-2014, 04:28 PM
Hi Ron, will be about 42000 with the options I want and a 90 Suzuki. I still haven't decided what I'm doing for a trailer and electronics yet.
Cheers Trent

SandStorm
06-02-2014, 07:28 AM
Hi guys I've bought and sold plant and machinery pretty much all my life, I don't think I've ever paid a quoted price I've always had a bit of a haggle, there seems to of always been a little room for manoeuvre , when these boat builders quote you a price is if fixed or will they deal?

tmw_85
01-11-2014, 05:46 PM
106101G'day guys and girls, for those that are interested my boat is nearing completion at Origin. I ended up changing from the 5m Axis to the new 5300 Axis with a 140 Suzuki. Couldn't be happier with all the guys at Origin and the quality of their work. Although it has been a bit of a long wait I think it will be well worth it!! Can't wait to get back on the water!! Sorry about the photos, bit hard to do on my phone....

Cheers Trent

FisHard
01-11-2014, 07:35 PM
Looks like a cracking rig mate and you'll love the Suzuki 140.

tmw_85
02-11-2014, 05:37 AM
Yeah I'm pretty happy with how it has turned out. Should be a good all rounder.

tmw_85
13-11-2014, 07:32 PM
All ready for the fit out to start. Pretty happy with the Nyalic finish

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/13/38e0d9a27e11c22e04d6cc7cba4eaff2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nick H
13-11-2014, 08:43 PM
Hey mate awesome looking rig, bet you can wait to launch it for the first time. Was the build completed in the time they said? I'm having one built through a different company , but every one tells me expect to wait longer than what they tell you.

tmw_85
14-11-2014, 05:22 AM
Hi Nick, yeah I can't wait to get it on the water!! It has taken a bit longer than first planned but they have always kept me in the loop as the build has progresses.
Cheers Trent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sheik
14-11-2014, 08:44 PM
nice one trent, hope it goes well for you.